Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Coaches and Front Office

Hedge

From SI.

Top NFL Head Coaching Candidates for 2024 and Well Beyond

An exhaustive list of the names that will be in play for openings this offseason, as well as rising young coaches who could fill coordinator jobs and make up a future wave of hires.

</snip>

Our goal each year is to try to understand who might be next as an NFL head coach, and who might be coming behind them as a rising coordinator or position coach; the kind of names you’ll be hearing about in a few years. While the process is fluid, we don’t want to mystify it. Who are the power players recommending? Whom do other coaches like and would, thus, be likely to recommend as well?

We’ll break these coaches down into a few categories, though there is no formal ranking outside of two “lock” candidates we’ll discuss first. Right now, in September, being the 23rd name on this list is just as valuable as the fifth.

</snip>

Offensive coaches who are up next

Ken Dorsey, offensive coordinator, Bills

After learning more about Dorsey, the most impressive part of his candidacy is the myriad ways in which he can win on offense. The Bills are one of the most versatile teams in football schematically, and Dorsey, a former quarterback at the University of Miami and with both the 49ers and Browns, has designed a dizzying system for opponents to try to match up against. Dorsey is not tied to one system. The assumption is often that the Bills are a chuck-it offense, but some of Dorsey’s best work, according to those familiar with his system, has come in the intricacies of how he designs the running game.

Rising offensive coaches
These are coaches who will factor in for offensive coordinator jobs, passing- and running-game coordinator jobs, assistant head coach opportunities or very new coordinators who will soon be viewed as head coaching candidates. (Listed in alphabetical order.)

Joe Brady, quarterbacks coach, Bills

Brady was a fast-rising assistant coach who rose to prominence as the offensive coordinator at LSU during Joe Burrow’s incredible senior season. He has interviewed for multiple head-coaching jobs in the past and rounded out his professional experience as Josh Allen’s quarterbacks coach in Buffalo.

Rising defensive coaches
These are coaches who will factor in for defensive coordinator jobs, assistant head coach opportunities, or very new coordinators who will soon be viewed as head coaching candidates. (Listed in alphabetical order.)

Bobby Babich, linebackers coach, Bills

Last week, Bills linebacker Matt Milano said of Babich: “[He’s the] best coach in the NFL.” A hidden gem on Sean McDermott’s crack defensive staff, Babich was also the safeties coach from 2018 to ’21, when Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde were the best safety tandem in the NFL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, snafu said:

Just read a NY Post article claiming it was a hankey pankey situation.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/12/top-bills-sabres-execs-fired-over-brazen-romantic-relationship/

Yes. She reported to him. So it was inappropriate. Their affair came to light in London. I read that they were still employed by The Bills, but we’re demoted. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Yes. She reported to him. So it was inappropriate. Their affair came to light in London. I read that they were still employed by The Bills, but we’re demoted. 

Obligatory…

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47nv2n0nkqou00otn5eu

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Ann said:

Reminder:

Perhaps this is the wrong reason but this above is exactly why I cant get behind the "move on from McDermott" mindset some here have. Its asinine to think that we are not in a better place. That said, he had better right the ship soon. I think McDermott makes a great DC. I think he makes a great coach. I dont think him doing both is a good idea. Too much time focusing on both takes him out of the game management. Need to grab a top DC in the off season. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Perhaps this is the wrong reason but this above is exactly why I cant get behind the "move on from McDermott" mindset some here have. Its asinine to think that we are not in a better place. That said, he had better right the ship soon. I think McDermott makes a great DC. I think he makes a great coach. I dont think him doing both is a good idea. Too much time focusing on both takes him out of the game management. Need to grab a top DC in the off season. 

Ron Rivera. 

• I don't know 1

On 11/8/2023 at 5:12 AM, Fansince88 said:

you don't fire him without knowing who his replacement will be (Rooney Rule be damned)

should look into Jim Harbaugh, as they are chasing him out of Michigan.

He was a QB, ran an offense and had success in the NFL

maybe he will break back Kap to divert the heat away from Josh 

• Like 1