Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

49 minutes ago, snafu said:

Wow.  20k for an untucked shirt is one surprise.  The 14k is another surprise.  I wonder what the Packers’ team fine will be (if anything).

I posted it in the covid thread,  $300k

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I hope Josh Allen beats Rodgers in the Super Bowl.

It's possible, I guess, but I just don't see a path to the playoffs for Jacksonville.

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I hope Josh Allen beats Rodgers in the Super Bowl.

I would suspect that it will be another season or two before the Bills are serious SB contenders.  Too many glaring weaknesses and a staff that is slow (intentionally or not) and stubborn at detecting and fixing issues.  

• Sad 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
36 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Dalvin Cook Part 1

Dalvin Cook, Part 2

He apologized, though...which constitutes a confession, so he's guilty. 

At least, that's how it works in Florida.

21 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I would suspect that it will be another season or two before the Bills are serious SB contenders.  Too many glaring weaknesses and a staff that is slow (intentionally or not) and stubborn at detecting and fixing issues.  

If the OL is at full strength for the postseason, I don't see why this can't be the year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LB3 said:

If the OL is at full strength for the postseason, I don't see why this can't be the year.

The problems I have with the team are:

OL (assuming full strength):  Dawkins--Feliciano--Morse--Williams--Brown.  Not strong enough to force their will on the opponent.  Get pushed back easily and cannot get push forward on a 4th and 1.  At a minimum, Morse and Feliciano need to be replaced.

DL and defensive scheme:  My concerns are mostly scheme based, which goes back to McDermott's and Frazier's philosophy.  I'm not a big fan of the 50/50 rotation.  You spend a lot of money on the d-line as you need more (7 or 8 )guys who are better than backup quality, but you cannot afford TJ Watt type quality.  You get the Addisons and Obadas, who would struggle to make a better squad on a different team, Butler, who never should have made the team, and Hughes who is beyond his prime and is pretty much back balled by the NFL officials and will not get deserved holding calls.  Those mentioned taking up playing time from better and younger players such as AJ Epenesa, Basham, Rousseau, and Oliver.  In addition, Frazier runs a very vanilla front four scheme - stay in your lane, push your o-lineman back, and try and win your battle.  The Bills are not aggressive with the front four such as overloads and stunts to take advantage of the opposing o-line weaknesses.  

I also am not a fan of the base nickel defense playing two LBs and dropping them into coverage like they are additional CBs and safeties.  This may work for teams like KC, but not against teams like Tennessee or Cleveland; and wait until they play TB, Brady will pick them apart like he did usually did.    I also do not think Edmunds is a MLB.  He may be a physical specimen, but the doesn't have the instincts to play the position.

In general, I do not believe the defense is as good as some think it is based on big wins against bad teams like Houston and Miami (first game, anyway).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Core Four said:

OL (assuming full strength):  Dawkins--Feliciano--Morse--Williams--Brown.  Not strong enough to force their will on the opponent.  Get pushed back easily and cannot get push forward on a 4th and 1.  At a minimum, Morse and Feliciano need to be replaced.

DL and defensive scheme:  My concerns are mostly scheme based, which goes back to McDermott's and Frazier's philosophy.  I'm not a big fan of the 50/50 rotation.  You spend a lot of money on the d-line as you need more (7 or 8 )guys who are better than backup quality, but you cannot afford TJ Watt type quality.  You get the Addisons and Obadas, who would struggle to make a better squad on a different team, Butler, who never should have made the team, and Hughes who is beyond his prime and is pretty much back balled by the NFL officials and will not get deserved holding calls.  Those mentioned taking up playing time from better and younger players such as AJ Epenesa, Basham, Rousseau, and Oliver.  In addition, Frazier runs a very vanilla front four scheme - stay in your lane, push your o-lineman back, and try and win your battle.  The Bills are not aggressive with the front four such as overloads and stunts to take advantage of the opposing o-line weaknesses.  

I also am not a fan of the base nickel defense playing two LBs and dropping them into coverage like they are additional CBs and safeties.  This may work for teams like KC, but not against teams like Tennessee or Cleveland; and wait until they play TB, Brady will pick them apart like he did usually did.    I also do not think Edmunds is a MLB.  He may be a physical specimen, but the doesn't have the instincts to play the position.

In general, I do not believe the defense is as good as some think it is based on big wins against bad teams like Houston and Miami (first game, anyway).

Bills have a top 3 D in my humble opinion.

I think we need to blitz more...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

You're probably right about this, but they essentially brought the entire team back this year, so you would expect better things. At the very least, last year's team always won the games they were supposed to win. 

I can usually look at a loss and see a few items that may have gone badly, or be able to see the holes in the team, but I have to admit that the Jags loss hits differently. I genuinely don't have much confidence in them this weekend, which is telling given the fact that the Jets are basically down to playing cheerleaders on defense at this point.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Good stuff. Welcome to the board.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

More regarding Cook. Scroll down to the video someone recorded while she was getting pissy.

NOTE: I am NOT suggesting she got what she deserved in any way because you simply never hit a woman ever. But you need to find a way to keep people like this out of your life.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Figster said:

Bills have a top 3 D in my humble opinion.

I think we need to blitz more...

That is not McD's philosophy.  He wants to generate pressure by rushing 4.  Frazier will blitz, but rarely.  

Playing a cover 2, the front 4 needs to get to the QB and create pressure.  Otherwise, you are counting on your DB coverage to hold up, which is a big ask in today's NFL.  I believe McD and Frazier need to get more aggressive with how they rush the front 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

That is not McD's philosophy.  He wants to generate pressure by rushing 4.  Frazier will blitz, but rarely.  

Playing a cover 2, the front 4 needs to get to the QB and create pressure.  Otherwise, you are counting on your DB coverage to hold up, which is a big ask in today's NFL.  I believe McD and Frazier need to get more aggressive with how they rush the front 4.

I can't fault the results they are getting.

We need to go after some of these rookies though, create turnovers.

4 hours ago, Core Four said:

As @IDBillzFan said, good stuff and indeed, welcome to the board.

While I agree for the most part, I would just like to point out that we are talking about the #1 D in the league.

I would like to see more stunts at the line while stacking it so the O doesn't know who is coming or from where though.

• Like 3