Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Food

RochesterRob

On 11/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, B-Man said:

National-Pickle-Day-November-14.jpg.webp

NATIONAL PICKLE DAY | NOVEMBER 14

National Pickle Day recognizes the tart, sometimes sweet, and even spicy pickle. Each year on November 14th, pickle lovers pop open pecks of their preferred preserved pickle. It may be a Dill, Gherkin, Cornichon, Brined, Kosher Dill, Polish, Hungarian, Lime, Bread and Butter, Swedish and Danish, or Kool-Aid Pickle. No matter your choice, eat them all day long.

The term pickle comes from the Dutch word pekel, meaning brine. In the United States, the word pickle typically refers to a pickled cucumber. However, just about any fruit or vegetable can be pickled.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477g5rtsf1cak4y40vv5

• Haha 3

Sitting down to my annual cream of Turkey soup.  Excellent!

Instead of having a second bowl, I warmed up some leftover stuffing and used the soup as a gravy.  Yes!!!

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Sitting down to my annual cream of Turkey soup.  Excellent!

Instead of having a second bowl, I warmed up some leftover stuffing and used the soup as a gravy.  Yes!!!

Do you make a turkey broth for it?

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Do you make a turkey broth for it?

Yes, when I get the bird and clean it up I boil the neck for a long time with celery, onion and salt.  At the end of the night, I salvage as much meat from the carcass as I can get and use that for the soup.

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here work for Byrne dairy?

Dairy products are expensive here in Florida. I'd say twice the cost as in NYS. They also don't have a lot of what we could easily find on the shelf at Dash's or Tops. We are constantly looking for non-ultra pasteurized half and half (so just pasteurized with a 10 day expiration date) and have only found it once. Because we are always perusing the milk case for this product, imagine my surprise when we saw Byrne Dairy half and half at one of the local Publix stores.  

That Byrne dairy half and half was ultra pasteurized, but it was also in the shelf-stable cartons (like in Europe). It has to be refrigerated after opening, but I think this opens a big source of transport for a lot of northern milk products to the south. If it can be shipped in a regular truck vs a refrigerated truck, and doesn't have to get there asap (the un-opened expiration date for the half and half is March), that could lead to a real revenue stream.

Anyhoooo I found that interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MothersMilk said:

One of the lesser known food treasures back home, look at that price. 

May be an image of food and text that says 'CAMILLO'S Weekly Special! Jumbo Cut Chicken Wings $1.29 Ib. By 40 By40lb.case b. case •WHILE SUPPLIES LAST·'

That's a great price.

At BJ's Wholesale they're getting closer to normal price.  $25/10# and have had coupons knocking the price down to $20/10#.  Until everything shutdown, they were typically $18/10#.

• Like 1

Got my wife a nice food dehydrator for Christmas because she uses her base-level plastic one to dry herbs, etc, but I've commandeered the device and am now the king of beef jerky.

Never imagined it would be that easy to make something that good. Experimenting with all kinds of different flavors.

Hit me up if you make jerky and have a favorite recipe.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Got wifey a Ninja Creami for Christmas.

She's made pretty good ice cream w/ it but really good sorbets.  The texture of the ice cream is way better than w/ most home ice cream makers.

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Similar to my fish recipes...1st you by a farm, then you build a fence, then you buy a calf...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Got my wife a nice food dehydrator for Christmas because she uses her base-level plastic one to dry herbs, etc, but I've commandeered the device and am now the king of beef jerky.

Never imagined it would be that easy to make something that good. Experimenting with all kinds of different flavors.

We have a dehydrator and I have done herbs and celery quite often. Hubby tried jerky, but he preferred the oven dehydration setting. Now that we no longer have a n oven with that setting (this oven sucks), it will be back to the dehydrator. Enjoy!

As far as jerky mixes, the sausage maker on Clinton st is the #1 sausage and jerky mix seller on the internet (at least it was a couple of years ago). Hubby got most of his product there. When we lived in Buffalo we would make a trip once a year, but now that we live down south ... ordering it is!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Similar to my fish recipes...1st you by a farm, then you build a fence, then you buy a calf...

I do believe he has those covered...

We previously had one of those cheap plastic round ones but a few years ago we bought a Samson SS-1010SS and like it a lot. We have a pretty good sized garden and utilize it to dehydrate a portion of the fruit and vegetables so that we may enjoy them throughout the year. Haven't gotten around to making any jerky yet but bought a jerky gun shortly after buying it the dehydrator with the intention of doing so. Might have to at least give it a try this winter. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Ann said:

We have a dehydrator and I have done herbs and celery quite often. Hubby tried jerky, but he preferred the oven dehydration setting. Now that we no longer have a n oven with that setting (this oven sucks), it will be back to the dehydrator. Enjoy!

As far as jerky mixes, the sausage maker on Clinton st is the #1 sausage and jerky mix seller on the internet (at least it was a couple of years ago). Hubby got most of his product there. When we lived in Buffalo we would make a trip once a year, but now that we live down south ... ordering it is!

Thanks for the link. Will absolutely try some of those.

Part of my surprise has been been how easy it is to make really delicious jerky with stuff we always have on hand; soy sauce, Worcestershire, honey, garlic, siracha, etc. I also like how you don't need expensive cuts of meat as long as the meat is lean, so our first batch was top round and today we're trying a london broil we got on sale.

• Like 1