Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Food

RochesterRob

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I do believe he has those covered...

We previously had one of those cheap plastic round ones but a few years ago we bought a Samson SS-1010SS and like it a lot. We have a pretty good sized garden and utilize it to dehydrate a portion of the fruit and vegetables so that we may enjoy them throughout the year. Haven't gotten around to making any jerky yet but bought a jerky gun shortly after buying it the dehydrator with the intention of doing so. Might have to at least give it a try this winter. 

Now that our first pigs are butchered, we're planning for the new year. Going from two to four (some neighbors are joining in after trying our pork chops and bacon), but this time we're going for the long play and setting up shop to do salamis, and the mother of all, prosciutto. Very long process, but we have the perfect room and just need the tools.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

We bought a Panini press last year and just absolutely love it!

Leslie Frazier's defense will do that to ya.

• Haha 4

Alaska Darin
On 11/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, Foxx said:

I was planning on making Cubano sammy's for the game tomorrow but forgot I need OJ for the pork marinade and it needs to set overnight to truly soak in. Guess I will be having them Monday instead.

Not sure what I'll make now...

Dude...please buy yourself a vacuum sealer.  Literally marinate things in an hour.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 12/31/2022 at 10:36 AM, IDBillzFan said:

Now that our first pigs are butchered, we're planning for the new year. Going from two to four (some neighbors are joining in after trying our pork chops and bacon), but this time we're going for the long play and setting up shop to do salamis, and the mother of all, prosciutto. Very long process, but we have the perfect room and just need the tools.

As Ann said above, The Sausage Maker in Buffalo is your friend. I’ve been getting products from them for years. 

https://www.sausagemaker.com

On 11/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, B-Man said:

National-Pickle-Day-November-14.jpg.webp

NATIONAL PICKLE DAY | NOVEMBER 14

National Pickle Day recognizes the tart, sometimes sweet, and even spicy pickle. Each year on November 14th, pickle lovers pop open pecks of their preferred preserved pickle. It may be a Dill, Gherkin, Cornichon, Brined, Kosher Dill, Polish, Hungarian, Lime, Bread and Butter, Swedish and Danish, or Kool-Aid Pickle. No matter your choice, eat them all day long.

The term pickle comes from the Dutch word pekel, meaning brine. In the United States, the word pickle typically refers to a pickled cucumber. However, just about any fruit or vegetable can be pickled.

I’ve been pickled a few times. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Dude...please buy yourself a vacuum sealer.  Literally marinate things in an hour.

I have one. Never thought of using it for marinade...

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Foxx said:

I have one. Never thought of using it for marinade...

You'll never have a better marinading experience.  Pulling all the air out both shortens the time and the amount of marinade needed.

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You'll never have a better marinading experience.  Pulling all the air out both shortens the time and the amount of marinade needed.

Spoken for truth. 

A few kitchen tools my mother never had that I think are game changing regarding elevating your kitchen skills:

Vacuum Sealer

Sous Vide Cooking Tool

Motorized Meat Grinder

Sausage Stuffing Press

Harissa

Smen (Simmer down now @Jabba The Hutt)

Preserved Lemons

Colatura

EVOO

I could add about 100 spices to this list. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

IDBillzFan
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Spoken for truth. 

A few kitchen tools my mother never had that I think are game changing regarding elevating your kitchen skills:

Vacuum Sealer

Sous Vide Cooking Tool

Motorized Meat Grinder

Sausage Stuffing Press

Harissa

Smen (Simmer down now @Jabba The Hutt)

Preserved Lemons

Colatura

EVOO

I could add about 100 spices to this list. 

I would add the air fryer to that list, for one reason: I can make delicious crispy wings whenever I want without the hassle of oil. And I'm not even talking about the health benefits of eliminating the frying oil. I'm saying I can put two dozen wings in the freaking thing, shake it a few times, and I have crispy wings with a sliver of the old effort.

We have two sous vides, and got a Lem Big Bite meat grinder which is not a just a great grinder, but stuffs sausage as well.

Says the guy raising for pigs right now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...