Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Food

RochesterRob

8 hours ago, Ann said:

You can now purchase Bison chip dip online. The price is good, but the shipping can be pricey.

Whenever we went out to Vegas to visit my transplanted brother, we had to bring out Bison's dip.

😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Whenever we went out to Vegas to visit my transplanted brother, we had to bring out Bison's dip.

😆

We are headed back to Buffalo soon, and I asked my husband if he was bringing any Bison chip dip back home with him. He said he was just planning on eating a few tubs while there (we are only in town for 5 days!!!), but was considering bringing a few back, too. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Palatka is about half an hour west of St Augustine, located on the St. John’s river.  I don’t think I ever saw an armadillo there. Now I know why.

155DEC42-C551-4C99-A648-4338E0FA95AC.thumb.jpeg.48db99d56ef9c71f669732b1b67f5617.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boo 2

ExiledInIllinois
18 hours ago, Ann said:

Palatka is about half an hour west of St Augustine, located on the St. John’s river.  I don’t think I ever saw an armadillo there. Now I know why.

155DEC42-C551-4C99-A648-4338E0FA95AC.thumb.jpeg.48db99d56ef9c71f669732b1b67f5617.jpeg

Only in Florida!

In all seriousness, I probably wouldn't touch the stuff. I wouldn't trust it!

Just to be on safe side... 2011:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/eating-armadillos-blamed-leprosy-south-flna1C9461481

Maybe that's why leprosy could be endemic in Florida. Only humans and armadillos (9 banded) carry the bacteria.  😏 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/leprosy-endemic-florida-what-to-know

https://cvmbs.source.colostate.edu/new-evidence-that-wild-armadillos-spread-leprosy-to-humans/

• Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ann said:

My husband has been making bread for about a year now. He doesn't have one started this week, and we are out, so I was going to buy a similar (rustic, 1#) bread yesterday. $5.99!!!  I couldn't do it. How do people with families do it?

Making bread is an art form. We have been doing it for quite some time now, and have a number of them perfected at this point. It did take awhile before we got everything just where we wanted it on the various varieties. So many variables.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Making bread is an art form. We have been doing it for quite some time now, and have a number of them perfected at this point. It did take awhile before we got everything just where we wanted it on the various varieties. So many variables.

You wanted this here or in the economy thread?

• Cheers 2

Just now, Ann said:

You wanted this here or in the economy thread?

I brought it here because it really wasn't a comment on the economy, rather, the difficulty bread making can present.

• Cheers 2

We love bread and get some fantastic fresh sour dough loaves, but to Ann's point, it's insanely expensive now;  $7-$8 a loaf.

Maybe I'll give bread making a try.  I think we actually have a machine in the garage that we got as a wedding present and never opened.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Maybe I'll give bread making a try.  I think we actually have a machine in the garage that we got as a wedding present and never opened.

He started with a NYT recipe, and improved upon it greatly.  This person took that recipe and made it for one, not four loaves. It resembles what my husband now does, but is closer to the original recipe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

We love bread and get some fantastic fresh sour dough loaves, but to Ann's point, it's insanely expensive now;  $7-$8 a loaf.

Wife has a bread machine, but only uses it for kneading the bread IIRC.  She actually bakes the bread in our oven.  And, it took several years, but she has finally nailed it.

She's made a great pizza crust for a long time, but getting the bread to rise up properly AND get the crust right too was more of a challenge.  She also makes some killer bread sticks.  (No idea how she's tweaked the recipes nor process to get it right; but get it right she does.)

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

She's made a great pizza crust for a long time, but getting the bread to rise up properly AND get the crust right too was more of a challenge. 

We use a stone for our pizzas.

00 flour is a must for a great pizza dough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

We use a stone for our pizzas.

00 flour is a must for a great pizza dough.

With a conventional oven, the pizza stone is an absolute must.  She's been using one for at least the last 10 years.  And now she has one that is more of a ceramic pizza pan rather than just a flat stone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, Foxx said:

I brought it here because it really wasn't a comment on the economy, rather, the difficulty bread making can present.

You’ve got that right. I’ve been hacking away at various recipes for the last year and a half with only spotty success. 
John Kirkwood has some YouTube videos that are good. (He sounds like Winnie the Pooh.)

Using an accurate scale is essential. As is having your oven temperature calibrated correctly. Still, there are lots of pitfalls in baking. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Nanker said:

You’ve got that right. I’ve been hacking away at various recipes for the last year and a half with only spotty success. 
John Kirkwood has some YouTube videos that are good. (He sounds like Winnie the Pooh.)

Using an accurate scale is essential. As is having your oven temperature calibrated correctly. Still, there are lots of pitfalls in baking. 

The current one I'm trying to perfect is Hawaiian bread. 

30 minutes ago, Foxx said:

The current one I'm trying to perfect is Hawaiian bread. 

King’s Hawaiian? If so, research Portuguese sweet bread. They’re the ones that introduced it to Hawaii. 

• Cheers 2