Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills want a new stadium – and for taxpayers to foot the bill

You Dirty Rat

majkan@ymail.com

Good morning.  As New York State Governor Hochel's proposed budget is debated, please refer to the article below when considering the TRUE cost of a new stadium.... Maybe each Bills player and the owner would consider making a donation to each school district that will suffer so the franchise gets a new stadium..  As public outcry grows, make no mistake that people are talking about these cuts in the same sentence as the new stadium...

Restore Education Cuts

This week in Albany, I took part in a press conference unveiling a legislative package aimed at keeping education a priority for all New Yorkers. The top provision - reversing the devastating cuts to schools that the governor included in her budget proposal.

Here in the 51st Senate District alone, the proposed cuts total almost $30 million! If the governor’s budget is enacted, schools will be forced to cut educational programs or raise local property taxes – neither option is beneficial for our region’s future.

In a proposed budget that increases state operating funds by $5.9 billion for a grand total of $233 billion there are a lot of places that could have been cut or not added in the first place. Among the examples - $2.4 billion for illegal migrants, $150 million for swimming pools, and let’s not forget that football stadium in Buffalo.

I strongly OPPOSE the education cuts and will fight to ensure all schools get their fair share of funding in this year’s state budget.

My website now includes a special online petition – Save Our Schools – and every signature helps send a message.

CLICK HERE to join the fight and sign my petition.

Sincerely,  

Peter_Oberacker_01_20_21_26432_6cd38135ab7985fcfa612ad3eef1564f.jpg

Senator Peter Oberacker - SD 51

Alaska Darin
5 hours ago, majkan@ymail.com said:

Good morning.  As New York State Governor Hochel's proposed budget is debated, please refer to the article below when considering the TRUE cost of a new stadium.... Maybe each Bills player and the owner would consider making a donation to each school district that will suffer so the franchise gets a new stadium..  As public outcry grows, make no mistake that people are talking about these cuts in the same sentence as the new stadium...

Restore Education Cuts

This week in Albany, I took part in a press conference unveiling a legislative package aimed at keeping education a priority for all New Yorkers. The top provision - reversing the devastating cuts to schools that the governor included in her budget proposal.

Here in the 51st Senate District alone, the proposed cuts total almost $30 million! If the governor’s budget is enacted, schools will be forced to cut educational programs or raise local property taxes – neither option is beneficial for our region’s future.

In a proposed budget that increases state operating funds by $5.9 billion for a grand total of $233 billion there are a lot of places that could have been cut or not added in the first place. Among the examples - $2.4 billion for illegal migrants, $150 million for swimming pools, and let’s not forget that football stadium in Buffalo.

I strongly OPPOSE the education cuts and will fight to ensure all schools get their fair share of funding in this year’s state budget.

My website now includes a special online petition – Save Our Schools – and every signature helps send a message.

CLICK HERE to join the fight and sign my petition.

Sincerely,  

Peter_Oberacker_01_20_21_26432_6cd38135ab7985fcfa612ad3eef1564f.jpg

Senator Peter Oberacker - SD 51

How about we instead address the elephant in the room that NYS spends more money per student than just about anywhere in the world yet continues to experience worse and worse outcomes?

https://www.empirecenter.org/publications/ny-school-spending-again-led-us-hitting-all-time-in-2020-21/

There's nothing more tiring than the constant gaslighting of "the problem with American schools is related to money."  It isn't and it never has been.  If we're going to waste money on something, it might as well not be indoctrinating our children into communism.

• Applause 3
  • FANtastic 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

How about we instead address the elephant in the room that NYS spends more money per student than just about anywhere in the world yet continues to experience worse and worse outcomes?

https://www.empirecenter.org/publications/ny-school-spending-again-led-us-hitting-all-time-in-2020-21/

There's nothing more tiring than the constant gaslighting of "the problem with American schools is related to money."  It isn't and it never has been.  If we're going to waste money on something, it might as well not be indoctrinating our children into communism.

How about we instead address the NY state senator politicking on a message board where most of the posters aren't even NYS residents?

Annoying as &#%$.  Can we NEVER get away from proselytizing?  @majkan@ymail.com Would you care to tell us your budgetary initiatives on promoting gender-fluid DEI in Major League Baseball too?  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

majkan@ymail.com

Actually, I was just pointing out that it seems to be more important to the state to fund the Bills' Stadium rather than its kids.. I have taught in NYS for 25 years and NEVER endorsed any political, economic, or social doctrine, other than pride in the United States, whatever her shortcomings at times.  I educate my kids about different philosophies, perspectives, and "isms" but I don't indoctrinate, thank you very much. BTW this is not a loss of new funding for education, but existing funding.

Billsandhorns
3 hours ago, majkan@ymail.com said:

Actually, I was just pointing out that it seems to be more important to the state to fund the Bills' Stadium rather than its kids.. I have taught in NYS for 25 years and NEVER endorsed any political, economic, or social doctrine, other than pride in the United States, whatever her shortcomings at times.  I educate my kids about different philosophies, perspectives, and "isms" but I don't indoctrinate, thank you very much. BTW this is not a loss of new funding for education, but existing funding.

New York spends the most per student and ranks at highest 6th in the nation in education. They appear to be spending plenty "on kids". Maybe stop being a sanctuary state. People in New York are already paying some of the most taxes in the nation. 

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 2

Spartacus
2 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

New York spends the most per student and ranks at highest 6th in the nation in education. They appear to be spending plenty "on kids". Maybe stop being a sanctuary state. People in New York are already paying some of the most taxes in the nation. 

how much of that money is actually going to the "kids" and facilities and how much to lobbying and gold star pension plans for teachers and administrators for wh9ich the "kids" receive zero benefit? 

Remember the teacher's union was the biggest proponent of masking and remote education, which absolutely destroyed the kids ability to learn

• Like 3

5 hours ago, majkan@ymail.com said:

Right.

The kids are getting screwed again. Pardon me if I don’t shed a tear alongside you.  I don’t like profligate spending on sports stadiums, either, but you’re barking up the wrong tree when you trot out the old “school kids will suffer” trope.

As a general example, the Orchard Park public school budget 23/24 = $114,660,569.

https://ny02208923.schoolwires.net/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=66&dataid=47802&FileName=2022 Budget Vote Newsletter.pdf

The total number of students in Orchard Park Schools (K-12) = 5165.

https://www.newyorkschools.com/districts/orchard-park-central-school-district.html

$114,660,569 / 5165 = $22,199 per student at the local level.

But wait, there’s more!

The NYS public schools budget in 2024 = $34,500,000,000 (Billion).

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-unprecedented-support-education-fy-2024-budget-including-345-billion

The total number of K-12 students in NYS = 2,422,494.

https://data.nysed.gov/index.php

$34,500,000,000 / 2,422,494 = $14,241 per student at the State level.

THE TOTAL AMOUNT SPENT ON A STUDENT IN NY IS $36,440 PER YEAR. Whether that’s money for facilities, or salaries, or transportation is irrelevant.  That’s how much is collected in taxes from people and given to schools in the name of educating kids. The figure is probably a bit higher.  I didn’t bother to add in Federal dollars.

Here’s a comparison:

I think it is a popular sentiment that College tuition is expensive, and I believe that it is a popular sentiment that the cost of college tuition is really inflated and perhaps people don’t get their value for the dollar.  

The average undergraduate tuition (just tuition, not including room and board) for private schools nationwide is $35,000. 
https://research.com/universities-colleges/the-average-cost-of-college-in-the-us

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Fansince88
6 hours ago, majkan@ymail.com said:

Thats where we differ. I do indoctrinate because my kids were forced to learn right from wrong.  But hey, there is a thread for that. This thread is for the stadium. 

• Like 1

Fansince88
2 minutes ago, snafu said:

Right.

The kids are getting screwed again. Pardon me if I don’t shed a tear alongside you.  I don’t like profligate spending on sports stadiums, either, but you’re barking up the wrong tree when you trot out the old “school kids will suffer” trope.

As a general example, the Orchard Park public school budget 23/24 = $114,660,569.

https://ny02208923.schoolwires.net/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=66&dataid=47802&FileName=2022 Budget Vote Newsletter.pdf

The total number of students in Orchard Park Schools (K-12) = 5165.

https://www.newyorkschools.com/districts/orchard-park-central-school-district.html

$114,660,569 / 5165 = $22,199 per student at the local level.

But wait, there’s more!

The NYS public schools budget in 2024 = $34,500,000,000 (Billion).

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-unprecedented-support-education-fy-2024-budget-including-345-billion

The total number of K-12 students in NYS = 2,422,494.

https://data.nysed.gov/index.php

$34,500,000,000 / 2,422,494 = $14,241 per student at the State level.

THE TOTAL AMOUNT SPENT ON A STUDENT IN NY IS $36,440 PER YEAR. Whether that’s money for facilities, or salaries, or transportation is irrelevant.  That’s how much is collected in taxes from people and given to schools in the name of educating kids. The figure is probably a bit higher.  I didn’t bother to add in Federal dollars.

Here’s a comparison:

I think it is a popular sentiment that College tuition is expensive, and I believe that it is a popular sentiment that the cost of college tuition is really inflated and perhaps people don’t get their value for the dollar.  

The average undergraduate tuition (just tuition, not including room and board) for private schools nationwide is $35,000. 
https://research.com/universities-colleges/the-average-cost-of-college-in-the-us

So one could expect a $36000 tax credit per child for homeschooling right? 

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
On 2/13/2024 at 5:42 AM, majkan@ymail.com said:

You're a political shill and it's people like you and your standard parroting ways that have ruined this country.

I feel sorry for your kids, both students and spawn.

• Like 1

Fansince88
5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You're a political shill and it's people like you and your standard parroting ways that have ruined this country.

I feel sorry for your kids, both students and spawn.

Do we know who this shill is?

• I don't know 1

Alaska Darin
3 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Whoever this is has 2 posts on this entire site, right here in this thread.  Nothing more than the standard liberal parroting of how we don't spend nearly enough money on educating children and how he/she/it has 25 years in the "business".

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 2/14/2024 at 5:49 PM, Fansince88 said:

State Senator for the NY 51st District.  Ironically, someone from Giants country complaining about money going upstate, on a Buffalo Bills bulletin board populated by posters who have almost universally left New York State because of the long-term irresponsible fiscal policies.  

On 2/13/2024 at 6:42 AM, majkan@ymail.com said:

Looking at the State Senate Blue Book right now, and I'm curious for your take on the $10m budgeted to go directly to the NYS United Teachers for training NYSUT members how to teach students to read.

Also curious for you thoughts on why schools in Democrat-run districts see annual increases in Foundation Aid from the state at a rate more than four times what schools in Republican-run districts see.

EDIT: and what's the $18m appropriation for the Obamas' "My Brothers Keeper" initiative about?

Edited by Crap Throwing Clavin
  • Like 1
  • Popcorn 2
  • Applause 2