Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills want a new stadium – and for taxpayers to foot the bill

You Dirty Rat

Not only are ticket prices bound to increase for NFL games at the Buffalo Bills’ proposed new stadium in Orchard Park, but season ticket holders will likely first have to pay $1,000 or more for the privilege to buy them.

Bills owners Kim and Terry Pegula plan to pay for a portion of their share of any “public/private partnership” struck with New York State and Erie County to construct a new stadium by selling personal seat licenses, a revenue source used to help pay for more than half the stadiums in the league.

“We will definitely have PSLs as part of a new stadium,” said Ron Raccuia, the executive vice president and lead negotiator for Pegula Sports and Entertainment, during an interview this week with The Buffalo News. “Every new stadium that’s opened since 2009 has utilized PSLs.”

PSLs are a one-time, upfront expense that gives fans the right – and obligation – to purchase season tickets each year, or else return them to the team.

</snip>

“We will most likely have the lowest PSLs of any new stadium built since 2009,” Raccuia said. “And that’s a function of the market and us being committed to making sure that we don’t price our fans out of the marketplace. We will be very cognizant of that with PSLs.”

Twenty of the 32 NFL franchises, from the largest to smallest markets, including those that play in the seven newest stadiums, require season ticket holders to purchase some form of PSL.

</snip>

Bills to sell about 50,000 PSLs, season tickets

The Bills’ least expensive PSLs in their proposed new stadium are expected to begin around $1,000, Raccuia said, and the requirement to buy a PSL will apply to every season ticket holder.

A price range has not been determined.

Raccuia said the PSLs will be perpetual and transferrable, meaning they will not need to be renewed and can be resold to a third party.

SL holders will have the ability to choose their permanent seats, as well as the first opportunity to buy tickets for other events at the stadium, Raccuia said.

The PSLs may also incorporate preferred parking, early access, food and beverages and other amenities.

“If a PSL is structured correctly, it really does provide an additional benefit to the fan,” Raccuia said. “And we’re committed to making sure that the PSL package that any fan ends up having with us is going to have value.”

</snip>

This seems straightforward.  The Bills can afford $X.  If the state wants a downtown stadium they pay the entire difference between an OP site and a DT site. 

IMO some ticket holders like the idea of a downtown stadium but will be the first to bitch about the increased cost of tickets, beer, parking, etc..

• Like 1

From the article (paid site)

Pegula Sports and Entertainment has invited the University at Buffalo to join the new football stadium project.

But as long as Orchard Park remains the target location for the Buffalo Bills’ next stadium, UB’s athletic department prefers to invest in its current venue rather than venture across town to play.

UB’s focus would change in a heartbeat, however, if the state would reconsider the option to build the new Bills stadium on the Amherst campus.

“We would love to have UB football be a part of this,” PSE executive vice president Ron Raccuia said.

</snip>

UB athletics director Mark Alnutt is listening to what PSE has to say. UB Stadium is universally unloved for its poor sightlines, rinky-dink scoreboard, open-to-the-elements seating and lack of amenities, but playing games on campus is integral to the football program’s vision.

“Being able to have student engagement on campus is critical for us,” Alnutt said. “When alumni come back to campus, when our students want to attend the games, we want our community to have that connection. That’s very important.”

</snip>

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

From the article (paid site)

Pegula Sports and Entertainment has invited the University at Buffalo to join the new football stadium project.

But as long as Orchard Park remains the target location for the Buffalo Bills’ next stadium, UB’s athletic department prefers to invest in its current venue rather than venture across town to play.

UB’s focus would change in a heartbeat, however, if the state would reconsider the option to build the new Bills stadium on the Amherst campus.

“We would love to have UB football be a part of this,” PSE executive vice president Ron Raccuia said.

</snip>

UB athletics director Mark Alnutt is listening to what PSE has to say. UB Stadium is universally unloved for its poor sightlines, rinky-dink scoreboard, open-to-the-elements seating and lack of amenities, but playing games on campus is integral to the football program’s vision.

“Being able to have student engagement on campus is critical for us,” Alnutt said. “When alumni come back to campus, when our students want to attend the games, we want our community to have that connection. That’s very important.”

</snip>

Mark Alnutt?  Must have been hell growing up with that name.

We should introduce him to the National Park Service's Mike Litterst.

I am sorta surprised at the map. If you are familiar with the area, the blank space to the right of that Residence Inn (which is no longer a Residence Inn) is an old shooting range that has been cleaned up. They have wanted to put a mixed use community in there for years, but somehow UB has blocked it (no idea why, I'd have suspected they want to buy it, but looks like not).

The other side that is circled is just past the Millersport on-ramp.

The last thing Amherst needs is a stadium where the Bills play, although the infrastructure is there as the 990 would dump you at UBs door.

43 minutes ago, Ann said:

I am sorta surprised at the map. If you are familiar with the area, the blank space to the right of that Residence Inn (which is no longer a Residence Inn) is an old shooting range that has been cleaned up. They have wanted to put a mixed use community in there for years, but somehow UB has blocked it (no idea why, I'd have suspected they want to buy it, but looks like not).

The last thing Amherst needs is a stadium where the Bills play, although the infrastructure is there as the 990 would dump you at UBs door.

I like this a lot and it's probably the dark horse,  Now it makes sense when there were a few tweets suggesting UB involvement.    Would make it much more palatable for NYS to throw resources at, and would be more welcome for Canadian, Rochester, & Syracuse fanbase.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

It scares me to think about what that would do to Maple Rd.  End up with game-day backups all the way to Salt Rd.  

6 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It scares me to think about what that would do to Maple Rd.  End up with game-day backups all the way to Salt Rd.  

And NFB is already a nightmare from that way.  The cut-through of Bailey or Bowmart Parkway would be packed.

They've spent a few years rebuilding and repaving Maple, just not from the 290 overpass to North Forest (that section of the road is a series of bumps from patches). Things that make you go hmmmmm 🤔

11 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

FWIW, Maple is twice as wide as Abbott.

On a true apples to oranges comparison, even without the likely road access improvements to the UB site, that location is already better than what's in Orchard Park

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, GG1 said:

FWIW, Maple is twice as wide as Abbott.

On a true apples to oranges comparison, even without the likely road access improvements to the UB site, that location is already better than what's in Orchard Park

I just realized...it's been a while.  Haven't been on Maple since I had to take my wife to Millard Fillmore after the submarine accident...

• Wow 1

While I dislike the idea, it might save the tired, old Marriott hotel down the road.  I cannot believe that is still allowed to fly a Marriott flag.

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Ann said:

While I dislike the idea, it might save the tired, old Marriott hotel down the road.  I cannot believe that is still allowed to fly a Marriott flag.

That place is so tired and old, they'd probably keep it just to force the visiting teams to stay there.

• Haha 1

After talking to some other fans, and reading of Virgil's experience at Sunday's game, I am in agreement with the new stadium as soon as we can.

I know that it is unpopular with most, but whether we are downtown or in Orchard Park, we should have a covered stadium.

I know all about the memories of bad weather game and the (supposed) home field advantage WNY weather brings, but I think that is ALL outweighed by a dome.

We have a team built for speed, and having a good 'track' is a necessity. Also I am one who thinks that the Bills faithful provide the home field advantage \, not the occasional wind or precipitation.

Thats my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

After talking to some other fans, and reading of Virgil's experience at Sunday's game, I am in agreement with the new stadium as soon as we can.

I know that it is unpopular with most, but whether we are downtown or in Orchard Park, we should have a covered stadium.

I know all about the memories of bad weather game and the (supposed) home field advantage WNY weather brings, but I think that is ALL outweighed by a dome.

We have a team built for speed, and having a good 'track' is a necessity. Also I am one who thinks that the Bills faithful provide the home field advantage \, not the occasional wind or precipitation.

Thats my 2 cents.

Split the difference: retractable dome.  Best of both worlds: close it during hot weather, but open for blizzards.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thats my 2 cents.

FWIW, the winds and snow are nowhere near as bad in Amherst as they are downtown or in OP 🙂

• Cheers 1