Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills want a new stadium – and for taxpayers to foot the bill

You Dirty Rat

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

What door would you choose?

$109mil to be roof-ready or $289 mil with a roof from the get go?

When your spending a billion plus what another third of a billion? Just build it with the dang roof. would be nice if it was retractable though.

• Like 1

Just now, Foxx said:

When your spending a billion plus what another third of a billion? Just build it with the dang roof. would be nice if it was retractable though.

I don't think they studied the cost of retractable, but estimates showed $400 mil for that option.

I always fared the design of Hard Rock which covers most of the seating area, and would also be a huge wind buffer from Lake Erie effects.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/28/2021 at 3:19 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

So I'm guessing that Pembroke is right out, then?

It's several slots down from Batavia.  Even Westfield is running ahead of Pembroke.  Just kidding.

Long Q&A article on the Athletic (paid site)
Tim Graham

When it comes to building NFL stadiums, few know more about how deals are struck than Art Rooney II.

The Pittsburgh Steelers co-owner has served on the league’s stadium committee for the past decade and was its chairman from 2011 until a couple of years ago.

</snip>

How has the process gone so far from your perspective?

From what I can tell and what I hear, it’s going well. Obviously, there is a growing time urgency, I would say. But it seems all parties have rolled up their sleeves and are trying to work together to figure it out. It seems like things are going well, and they’re making progress.

</snip>

I mentioned leverage before, but there’s another carrot that has been dangled in the past to get new stadium deals done, including all five projects you oversaw on the committee. There remains a group of Bills fans who think it’s plausible with a dome stadium. So what’s your response to the idea of putting a Super Bowl in Western New York?

Well, probably not in Buffalo. We actually threw our hat in the ring for the Super Bowl derby a few years ago for Pittsburgh, and, obviously, we’d love to have it sometime. But I think it’s fair to say both Pittsburgh and Buffalo should consider ourselves long shots at best. That’s all we can say.

What kind of reaction did the Steelers get when making their presentation to be Super Bowl hosts?

There was some laughter, I guess. Some didn’t take us very seriously, it’s fair to say. We still think we could pull it off here in Pittsburgh. We started the conversation shortly after New York hosted it that one year, and it was the first time an outdoor venue hosted a Super Bowl in the north. Our point was that it seemed to work out OK there. But, look, it’s a tough sell for places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland and Buffalo. Maybe I shouldn’t speak for other markets, but it’s a long shot. Probably not in my lifetime, but who knows?

</snip>

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Long Q&A article on the Athletic (paid site)
Tim Graham

When it comes to building NFL stadiums, few know more about how deals are struck than Art Rooney II.

The Pittsburgh Steelers co-owner has served on the league’s stadium committee for the past decade and was its chairman from 2011 until a couple of years ago.

</snip>

How has the process gone so far from your perspective?

From what I can tell and what I hear, it’s going well. Obviously, there is a growing time urgency, I would say. But it seems all parties have rolled up their sleeves and are trying to work together to figure it out. It seems like things are going well, and they’re making progress.

</snip>

I mentioned leverage before, but there’s another carrot that has been dangled in the past to get new stadium deals done, including all five projects you oversaw on the committee. There remains a group of Bills fans who think it’s plausible with a dome stadium. So what’s your response to the idea of putting a Super Bowl in Western New York?

Well, probably not in Buffalo. We actually threw our hat in the ring for the Super Bowl derby a few years ago for Pittsburgh, and, obviously, we’d love to have it sometime. But I think it’s fair to say both Pittsburgh and Buffalo should consider ourselves long shots at best. That’s all we can say.

What kind of reaction did the Steelers get when making their presentation to be Super Bowl hosts?

There was some laughter, I guess. Some didn’t take us very seriously, it’s fair to say. We still think we could pull it off here in Pittsburgh. We started the conversation shortly after New York hosted it that one year, and it was the first time an outdoor venue hosted a Super Bowl in the north. Our point was that it seemed to work out OK there. But, look, it’s a tough sell for places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland and Buffalo. Maybe I shouldn’t speak for other markets, but it’s a long shot. Probably not in my lifetime, but who knows?

</snip>

if they laughed at the Rooney's

no chance in hell a super bowl comes to Buffalo

but won't stop some politician from floating that carrot to twist arms for public money 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

if they laughed at the Rooney's

no chance in hell a super bowl comes to Buffalo

but won't stop some politician from floating that carrot to twist arms for public money 

From what I understand having enough hotel/motel accommodations is the biggest obstacle to having a Super Bowl in Orchard Park.

So can we add some hotel/motel development into the equation? 

3 hours ago, Figster said:

From what I understand having enough hotel/motel accommodations is the biggest obstacle to having a Super Bowl in Orchard Park.

If the extra room capacity can't be supported now then how will they gain a return when not in use for a Buffalo SB?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Figster said:

add hotel room by bringing 100 cruise ships up the Erie Canal

worked for Jax

• FANtastic 1

12 hours ago, Spartacus said:

worked for Jax

There were 100 cruise ships on the Erie Canal?

16 hours ago, Spartacus said:

worked for Jax

And the reason the cruise ships aren't in lake Erie is ...............?

😀

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

And the reason the cruise ships aren't in lake Erie is ...............?

😀

The curse of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...