Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Breakdowns/Shortages

Foxx

4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

"From the pole."

Not just the meter.  We have to have a new line run from the utility pole.  Can't do that without PEPCO involvement, which means can't do it without the city finding out.

I should have known you were versed on the matter.

How old is the line from the pole to the house?

One way around it that I can think of is to have the service upgraded, sans the line from the pole to the house. Wait a month and call to have the line upgraded. If they give you any push back about replacing it, explain to them that you had someone out to look at "their" line and they told you that you should have the EC replace it because it is in severe need. I don't think they would be able to do anything regarding replacing the meter, in a retro manner, in that scenario. Just say no thanks or that you will call them to schedule it, 'later'.

10 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Yup, apparently only one state allows you to not get it and not pay a fee, and it ain't TX

I also suspect they also want to punish you for making someone come out an physically read the meter,

No one has to come out and read the meter, except for once a year. You should be able to report the meter reading yourself.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

I was only speculating on the reason for the monthly surcharge on refusing the smart meter. remote monitoring will not be an option and someone has to travel to get the reading

You are correct in assuming they don't want to pay for site visits. I have remote meters at both my places with Pacific Power for a few years now. The city where I live has had remote water meters recently. I have not been too happy with my water usage since they went to remote readings. Saw the city water guy out front this Spring and he mentioned they've had some issues with the meters. Can't fight City Hall or maybe I'm old enough to pick and choose my battles now.

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
9 hours ago, Foxx said:

With Russia halting all of Nord Stream, after a brief respite, expect the European energy prices to skyrocket to even higher records this coming week.

Yes it’s not going to be pretty.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Yes it’s not going to be pretty.

I saw a bunch of companies in Europe who are posting the notices they are receiving that are projecting what their new yearly bill will be. It averaged about a 800% increase from what it was. Most are saying they don't know what they are going to do because there is no way revenue generated will cover that. 

If it comes to pass, most will just go out of business.

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I saw a bunch of companies in Europe who are posting the notices they are receiving that are projecting what their new yearly bill will be. It averaged about a 800% increase from what it was. Most are saying they don't know what they are going to do because there is no way revenue generated will cover that. 

Last update I got from Italy was 3 times but this was last week.  

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

Which I suspect was an unadvertised feature of the Great Reset.

Squeeze the independent operators outta the way for favored corporations

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, devnull said:

Which I suspect was an unadvertised feature of the Great Reset.

Squeeze the independent operators outta the way for favored corporations

You have to remove the mom & pop stores so when social scores are implemented, it will be that much easier to exert the control.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Nouseforaname
On 9/3/2022 at 3:28 AM, Foxx said:

With Russia halting all of Nord Stream, after a brief respite, expect the European energy prices to skyrocket to even higher records this coming week.

I know that Italy and France have made deals with Algeria to get more natural gas and I’m wondering if Germany will be doing the same.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
On 9/3/2022 at 12:28 AM, Foxx said:

The deeper we get, the more it seems like Russia's aim is to undo the EU. Or better put, force the EU to eat itself alive. There's a growing possibility that is Russia's true goal, not recreating the Soviet Block, but destroying the EU itself. Germany is its engine, and the longer this crisis drags on, the more crippled they become economically. 

Who else benefits hugely from that?

The UK.

Which might explain why Boris and company were so hellbent on scuttling any peace deals. 

I'm not a fan of the EU in concept, principle, or execution. Any form of governance that removes the People's Will from the equation and puts it in the hands of unaccountable "leaders" in Brussels is destined to be corrupted. And the EU is proof of that concept in spades. Free movement across the continent for members is about the only good thing the EU has wrought. 

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The deeper we get, the more it seems like Russia's aim is to undo the EU. Or better put, force the EU to eat itself alive. There's a growing possibility that is Russia's true goal, not recreating the Soviet Block, but destroying the EU itself. Germany is its engine, and the longer this crisis drags on, the more crippled they become economically. 

The UK.

Which might explain why Boris and company were so hellbent on scuttling any peace deals. 

I'm not a fan of the EU in concept, principle, or execution. Any form of governance that removes the People's Will from the equation and puts it in the hands of unaccountable "leaders" in Brussels is destined to be corrupted. And the EU is proof of that concept in spades. Free movement across the continent for members is about the only good thing the EU has wrought. 

NATO, really...but at this point, the difference between "NATO" and the "EU" is more semantic than real.  

• Like 4

Deranged Rhino
11 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

NATO, really...but at this point, the difference between "NATO" and the "EU" is more semantic than real.  

Agreed. 

41 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The UK.

I might argue that Russia's real aim here is to destroy the unipolar dominance of America within the the financial realm and ultimately, American hegemony all around. The EU, acting as a proxy of America, has put into play, the perfect storm for Russia to see that this is now a distinct possibility. With each and every move the West makes to try and isolate Russia, they inevitably are stepping on their own dick. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that if half the world (40% anyways) isn't going along with sanctions, then issuing them is a fools errand that is destined to blow up in your face.

Russia sees and has seen for a long time now, how fragile the house of cards is. The build up to 2008 was nothing compared to the exposure the West has today. They understand that the time is ripe for them to achieve their long standing desire for a multipolar world. 

The West is kicking the can down the road as far as they can at this point, just hoping to make it past the elections. Although they have been, and are quite good at this tactic, I don't see how it can last much longer. I would love to be wrong and pray that I am. With everything that is happening right now, from the energy shortages, to the printing presses running in overdrive, to the demonstrations around the globe... I just don't see it.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Ann said:

Yeah, and it's crazy how Europe is already running out of resources to heat their homes this winter. You would think someone might have warned them, and California, that this would happen huh?

• Like 2
  • Wow 1