Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Breakdowns/Shortages

Foxx

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Just out of curiosity, how many food processing plants do we have in the US?

On the order of 35,000.

18 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

On the order of 35,000.

Thanks.   Guess I can hold off on the hording until there are a few more fires.

Nouseforaname
44 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I’ve been hoarding for about 40 years. 

Jabba The Hutt
4 hours ago, Foxx said:

Now??

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Just out of curiosity, how many food processing plants do we have in the US?

3 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

How is it none of these places fire suppression systems

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

On the order of 35,000.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

I’ve been hoarding for about 40 years. 

Make sure you hoard...it is well known you die without processed food in under a month!:classic_laugh:

9 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Make sure you hoard...it is well known you die without processed food in under a month!:classic_laugh:

loktarogar-for-the-horde-14008333.png

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Your issue isn't processing plants. Fertilizer costs are through the roof and a lot of farmers either can't afford what they need and are cutting back, or they're realizing they'll never be able to turn a profit, and taking a break. Plus, Avian flu is forcing the killing of tens of millions of chickens and turkeys. 

While I get the hording jokes, you can count on prices for staple items going up very steadily over the next year. So it's not really a crazy idea to load up on stuff you may use a lot at your house; flour, sugar, rice and pasta are a good start. Costco-size. I would also look around at where you can buy farm-raised chickens in your area instead of relying on Vons. You may want to have Azure Standard bookmarked as well. Buy from them and pick up at one of the posts near you.

And hey, I get it. Where you are, there is undoubtedly an abundance of what you need, but costs are going up. Plus, what did it take for there to be no toilet paper? Or no baby formula? Pretty much a false step or two plus no one paying attention. 

Fortune forever favors the prepared.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Your issue isn't processing plants. Fertilizer costs are through the roof and a lot of farmers either can't afford what they need and are cutting back, or they're realizing they'll never be able to turn a profit, and taking a break. Plus, Avian flu is forcing the killing of tens of millions of chickens and turkeys. 

While I get the hording jokes, you can count on prices for staple items going up very steadily over the next year. So it's not really a crazy idea to load up on stuff you may use a lot at your house; flour, sugar, rice and pasta are a good start. Costco-size. I would also look around at where you can buy farm-raised chickens in your area instead of relying on Vons. You may want to have Azure Standard bookmarked as well. Buy from them and pick up at one of the posts near you.

And hey, I get it. Where you are, there is undoubtedly an abundance of what you need, but costs are going up. Plus, what did it take for there to be no toilet paper? Or no baby formula? Pretty much a false step or two plus no one paying attention. 

Fortune forever favors the prepared.

This is part of why I'm considering joining another Ag company as I look for a new job.

But traveling to Fargo....ugh!

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I still haven't finished the bulk non-perishables I bought at the start of the COVID emergency.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I still haven't finished the bulk non-perishables I bought at the start of the COVID emergency.  

Ditto.

When we had a basement it was easy to hide those purchases, but without a basement I now see boxes (and box’s) of TP every time I open a linen closet, and rolls and rolls of paper towels when I open the supply closet. At least the paper towels have stopped falling on my head from excessive stacking as we (slowly) work through that stockpile.

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 minutes ago, Ann said:

Ditto.

When we had a basement it was easy to hide those purchases, but without a basement I now see boxes (and box’s) of TP every time I open a linen closet, and rolls and rolls of paper towels when I open the supply closet. At least the paper towels have stopped falling on my head from excessive stacking as we (slowly) work through that stockpile.

I'll trade you some 25lb bags of rice for a few 24-packs of TP.

• Like 1