Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Breakdowns/Shortages

Foxx

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'll trade you some 25lb bags of rice for a few 24-packs of TP.

We actually bought rice last week for the first time since 2020. We are now set until 2024.  :wallbash:  Some people never learn.

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

We actually bought rice last week for the first time since 2020. We are now set until 2024.  :wallbash:  Some people never learn.

A few months ago, when the impending world famine was announced, my sister-in-law put together a shopping list of things we needed to stock up on.  A list that included such things as: a year's supply of bananas, strawberries, and milk.  

I had to gently point out to her "You buy a gallon of milk a week, and end up not finishing it and pouring it down the sink.  Because it goes bad.  How are you going to store a year's worth of milk?"

My in-laws...don't even know how to panic properly.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

A few months ago, when the impending world famine was announced, my sister-in-law put together a shopping list of things we needed to stock up on.  A list that included such things as: a year's supply of bananas, strawberries, and milk.  

I had to gently point out to her "You buy a gallon of milk a week, and end up not finishing it and pouring it down the sink.  Because it goes bad.  How are you going to store a year's worth of milk?"

My in-laws...don't even know how to panic properly.

Could they have meant powdered and dehydrated forms? We have powdered milk, heavy cream (it is gross but works when cooking), buttermilk, etc. on the shelf and a lot of dehydrated fruits and vegetables (I like the texture).

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Ann said:

Could they have meant powdered and dehydrated forms? We have powdered milk, heavy cream (it is gross but works when cooking), buttermilk, etc. on the shelf and a lot of dehydrated fruits and vegetables (I like the texture).

No.  She meant fresh.  :classic_wacko:

I only use heavy cream in my mac'n'cheese InstantPot recipe.  Every other use for it I've tried, I've hated it.  

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

No.  She meant fresh.  :classic_wacko:

I only use heavy cream in my mac'n'cheese InstantPot recipe.  Every other use for it I've tried, I've hated it.  

I keep my fresh milk in my neighbors cow up the road. She does a great job keeping it fresh. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency'

22,000 people lost control of temperatures in their homes for hours Tuesday

During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

</snip>

Xcel confirmed to Contact Denver7 that 22,000 customers who had signed up for the Colorado AC Rewards program were locked out of their smart thermostats for hours on Tuesday.

"It's a voluntary program. Let's remember that this is something that customers choose to be a part of based on the incentives," said Emmett Romine, vice president of customer solutions and innovation at Xcel.

Customers receive a $100 credit for enrolling in the program and $25 annually, but Romine said customers also agree to give up some control to save energy and money and make the system more reliable.

"So, it helps everybody for people to participate in these programs. It is a bit uncomfortable for a short period of time, but it's very, very helpful," said Romine.

</snip>

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency'

22,000 people lost control of temperatures in their homes for hours Tuesday

During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

</snip>

Xcel confirmed to Contact Denver7 that 22,000 customers who had signed up for the Colorado AC Rewards program were locked out of their smart thermostats for hours on Tuesday.

"It's a voluntary program. Let's remember that this is something that customers choose to be a part of based on the incentives," said Emmett Romine, vice president of customer solutions and innovation at Xcel.

Customers receive a $100 credit for enrolling in the program and $25 annually, but Romine said customers also agree to give up some control to save energy and money and make the system more reliable.

"So, it helps everybody for people to participate in these programs. It is a bit uncomfortable for a short period of time, but it's very, very helpful," said Romine.

</snip>

Got a Smart Meter?

Billsandhorns
10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Got a Smart Meter?

Not yet, but we got word that our E.C. is going to install them. Not sure when they will get to my house since we live in a more rural part of the county

16 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Not yet, but we got word that our E.C. is going to install them. Not sure when they will get to my house since we live in a more rural part of the county

Refuse it.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Got a Smart Meter?

Our house needs a heavy-up and rewiring all the way to the pole.  I'm sure, when we have that done, MD will mandate a smart meter.

I think I'd rather just sell the house.

9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Our house needs a heavy-up and rewiring all the way to the pole.  I'm sure, when we have that done, MD will mandate a smart meter.

I think I'd rather just sell the house.

That is not up to the EC. You may, depending upon municipality, need a permit to upgrade the service but the EC will have no knowledge of this if you have a qualified contractor do the upgrade. No power needs to be turned off/on to do so. Just hire a contractor that will reinstall the dial meter. Though it will be common place for the contractor to try and talk you into it, if they won't, look for a different contractor

39 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Looks Like we can, But have to pay an initial $120 fee and like $15 a month 

You have to pay a fee to refuse them doing something? Sounds like the communist state of NY.

Billsandhorns

Yup, apparently only one state allows you to not get it and not pay a fee, and it ain't TX

I also suspect they also want to punish you for making someone come out an physically read the meter,

Edited by Billsandhorns

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

That is not up to the EC. You may, depending upon municipality, need a permit to upgrade the service but the EC will have no knowledge of this if you have a qualified contractor do the upgrade. No power needs to be turned off/on to do so. Just hire a contractor that will reinstall the dial meter. Though it will be common place for the contractor to try and talk you into it, if they won't, look for a different contractor

"From the pole."

Not just the meter.  We have to have a new line run from the utility pole.  Can't do that without PEPCO involvement, which means can't do it without the city finding out.

2 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

I also suspect they also want to punish you for making someone come out an physically read the meter,

Remote monitoring. 

Ever try to get a tech visit for phone and or internet? 

But will I go to the meter and reboot my electricity...I think not.

Billsandhorns
2 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Remote monitoring. 

Ever try to get a tech visit for phone and or internet? 

But will I go to the meter and reboot my electricity...I think not.

I was only speculating on the reason for the monthly surcharge on refusing the smart meter. remote monitoring will not be an option and someone has to travel to get the reading