Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Sabres 21 - 22 Season

B-Man

Just now, Taro T said:

Exuberanne can only go so far when the talent isn't there to support it.

4th game in a row where they lost steam in the latter stages of the game.  (3 games ago they lost the steam in the 2nd but got it back in the 3rd, but still ...)

I'm enjoying this ride, but in reality they're definitely not a playoff team.  I'm happy that they're not the worst in the league and the college kids and AHL are showing promise.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

I'm enjoying this ride, but in reality they're definitely not a playoff team.  I'm happy that they're not the worst in the league and the college kids and AHL are showing promise.  

They should beat the Snarks because that's what they do.  Expect they'll beat Seattle too as that is one of the few teams they are better than.  They could beat Detroit, too.  But after that, it gets much tougher.  

Hoped Eakin would've been able to go tonight.  Hopefully soon. Mittelstadt coming back will also help.  But, it is a low talent team and the start is not likely sustainable.

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 hours ago, GG1 said:

So are the finally watchable?  Is it worth getting Center Ice now?

2 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Two answers.  Games are more watchable, but in the last three they've faded in the second parts of the games.  It's still not as bad as the worst of Ralph's tenure, but opponents are starting to figure them out and the lack of talent is more noticeable.

Center Ice is probably worth it because they cut the price 50% since most of the games are on ESPN+.  So, for $70 it could be a good investment, especially when they start bringing up the promising kids from Rochester.

6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Go with the $7 per month package from espn+. That way you can get out of the wheels fall off. 

20 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

19 hours ago, GG1 said:

Two answers.  Games are more watchable, but in the last three they've faded in the second parts of the games.  It's still not as bad as the worst of Ralph's tenure, but opponents are starting to figure them out and the lack of talent is more noticeable.

Center Ice is probably worth it because they cut the price 50% since most of the games are on ESPN+.  So, for $70 it could be a good investment, especially when they start bringing up the promising kids from Rochester.

This.

The big question is: whether the slumping in the latter stages is caused by the Sabres already finding Granato's style too exhausting or are they due to other teams now actually showing some respect by treating them like an actual NHL squad.

If it's the former, will make for a very long season w/ little hope the next couple of years might be any better.  If it's the latter, it'll still be a long season, but there should be ebbs & flows & there is hope that the style could work if there was talent to match the effort.

Even with the loss of steam the last 4, they have come to play in the 1st every game, & they have not gone into a defensive 1st bar the door, doomed to failure shell in any of them.  Though if only looking at the stat sheet, it has been a total shell that they've been entering.  The stat sheet is deceiving.  They haven't stopped trying to play, they just haven't had the legs to control it once they've gotten the puck out of the zone.  They haven't been pinned in the zone as badly as they were during the low points of the last 2 years yet.

• Like 1

The wheels are going to fall off very quickly if they can’t inject more talent into the game day roster soon. Whether that’s some return for Eichel or the returning Mittelstadt/Olofsson, it can’t happen soon enough. 

• Like 1

Per Darren Dreger:

Pending trade call, The @BuffaloSabres trade Jack Eichel and a 2023 3rd round pick, to the @GoldenKnights for Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch, a 1st in 2022 and a 3rd in 2023.

So i dont watch a ton of hockey outside the Sabres, especially not west coast teams. I know when i see Tuch, i like him. Know nothing about Krebs. 

Also, I think in 2023 its the  Sabres sending a 3 in return for a 2. 

It would be dumb to swap 3's, as i understand clubs can not use someone else's pick for offer sheet comp. I know, I know, no one ever offer sheets....but always good to have the option open.

43 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So i dont watch a ton of hockey outside the Sabres, especially not west coast teams. I know when i see Tuch, i like him. Know nothing about Krebs. 

Also, I think in 2023 its the  Sabres sending a 3 in return for a 2. 

It would be dumb to swap 3's, as i understand clubs can not use someone else's pick for offer sheet comp. I know, I know, no one ever offer sheets....but always good to have the option open.

Yes, as mentioned in the trade thread, the Sabres get Vegas' 2023 2nd, not their 3rd.  So, Adams got his 4 pieces for Eichel.  Although that 4th piece is very negligible.  (Likely a move up of 10-30 slots.  Not nothing in a deep draft, but nothing to write home about either.)

• Like 1

I’m a little disappointed that we won’t see any immediate additions to the team after this deal, but Krebs to the America is the right move. Let those kids thrive together. We might just be adding a full line to our lineup next season. We haven’t seen that level of talent infusion at one time since Vanek, Roy, and Pominville all hit the lineup at pretty much the same time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I’m a little disappointed that we won’t see any immediate additions to the team after this deal, but Krebs to the America is the right move. Let those kids thrive together. We might just be adding a full line to our lineup next season. We haven’t seen that level of talent infusion at one time since Vanek, Roy, and Pominville all hit the lineup at pretty much the same time. 

What's going on in Rochester does seem reminiscent of that era - at least so far.

I'd really like to know what deals were left on the table.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

What's going on in Rochester does seem reminiscent of that era - at least so far.

I'd really like to know what deals were left on the table.

Unfortunately we are missing every component of the goalies from that era. There’s no established NHL goalie in Biron and all of the prospects are a good 3-4 years behind Miller-Noronen. 

There’s also very little veteran influence anywhere on the roster. Okposo and Girgensons are good heart and sole guys, but hopefully they can add one or two more talented vets next summer to help out these kids. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1