Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills vs Tampa Week 14: The Aftermath

Ann

Peter King's Football Morning in America column:

Offensive Players of the Week

Josh Allen, quarterback, Buffalo. With his team trailing 27-10 with 11 minutes left, Allen put the Bills on his back to rally. Buffalo scored 17 unanswered to force overtime in Tampa before falling victim to Brady’s Bucs. Allen had fourth-quarter touchdown throws to Dawson Knox and Gabriel Davis, and Allen led a 14-play, 70-yard drive that resulted in Tyler Bass‘s game-tying field with 22 seconds left. Allen finished with 308 passing yards and the confidence to know he can lead his team on the road, facing a big deficit, against the G.O.A.T., and not flinch.

(He also named Brady, but only mentioned the lifetime stat numbers he achieved this game)

• FANtastic 1

9 hours ago, Dubs said:

I think this game made me cross the line where I just have to stop caring about the NFL.  It’s just not worth it when officials have such a negative impact on the game.

It’s not like these guys have an opposing group of officials paid to make them miss calls or make bad calls. Every mistake is an unforced mistake. It’s like a player just fumbling in the open field. I don’t understand how they can continue to phuck up game after game after game. No matter the crew, there’s egregious mistakes that are extremely impactful on the game. Today was just the last straw. 

you are looking at it from the wrong perspective.,

You are assuming they are trying to get the calls right, and by not doing so, they are making horrible, inexcusable errors which their bosses allow

it makes much more sense to understand that their bosses want certain outcomes

and the refs have been instructed to make it happen on the field. 

Those horrible mistakes are intentional, and the refs bosses are pleased with the results

The Guy In Pants

The NFL will change nothing about officiating other than surface deep alterations giving fans the same false sense of security as they always do. As unbiased as people want to claim they are; everyone is biased and those biases cause people to make certain choices. We profile and we build categories we apply to life.

Vegas goes hand in hand with the NFL. It’s basically the one sort where officiating can alter the outcome of the game where 99% of the situations are excused by them having to make split second choices to flag or not. Whether the wrong call was made; every play has a penalty of some sort. Thanks to an over reaching rule book. 

So, it’s best to come to terms with the fact that the game we all have loved for as long as we have loved it, has been completely destroyed by money. 

It’s not in all cases of who wins and who loses. But; it exists none the less.

Edited by The Guy In Pants

12 hours ago, Core Four said:

How did Edmunds get the assignment to cover Perriman?  That was never going to work.

While not solely his fault, we have seen this scene or some very close facsimile thereof repeated throughout the past 4 years.

MozJPEG USATSI_17348172.jpg

© Nathan Ray Seebeck-USA TODAY Sports

Dec 12, 2021; Tampa, Florida, USA; Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Breshad Perriman avoids a tackle from Buffalo Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds in overtime at Raymond James Stadium.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

While not solely his fault, we have seen this scene or some very close facsimile thereof repeated throughout the past 4 years.

You're right about that.  Edmunds has to be moved to OLB, and Frazier's defensive scheme needs to be re-engineered.  I know I have seen several instances of other teams' LBers covering WRs.  Usually those are the teams that lose.

9 minutes ago, Core Four said:

You're right about that.  Edmunds has to be moved to OLB, and Frazier's defensive scheme needs to be re-engineered.  I know I have seen several instances of other teams' LBers covering WRs.  Usually those are the teams that lose.

May just be me, but I don't have any confidence he would be any better at OLB. I don't believe he has the instincts nor the capacity to process information quickly enough at the level that is needed here. His athletic ability and physical traits are phenomenal but that is only going to take you so far in the pro sport that is the NFL. You can have all the God given ability in the world but you need to have it between the ears because that is the most important part of the game. 

Beer__League__Hockey
26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

May just be me, but I don't have any confidence he would be any better at OLB. I don't believe he has the instincts nor the capacity to process information quickly enough at the level that is needed here. His athletic ability and physical traits are phenomenal but that is only going to take you so far in the pro sport that is the NFL. You can have all the God given ability in the world but you need to have it between the ears because that is the most important part of the game. 

I was done with him last year, but better D linemen would cover up some of his shortcomings.  Their linemen are all, collectively, pitiful.

Hughes - Why is he back this year, to set a career personal foul record?  Completely useless.  Nice visor though.

Addison - Waste of space, nice hair, veteran.  Hit a wall somewhere late last year, hasn't improved.  He will not make a team roster next year.

Epinesa - Still may have an upside, but getting harder and harder to wait around for it to materialize.  Probably next season is the end of his experiment.

Rousseau - Great looking athlete, lot of potential.  He is that 3rd-4th DE that you'd like to have as a changeup, not an every down guy yet as a rookie.

Oliver - Average 3 tech lineman, but has problems upstairs in the brain department.  Makes a great play or two, but then checks out/gets distracted mentally half the time.  

Star - Average when he's available.  Being much lighter this year, he is becoming a liability in the run game, but still the best they've got.

Phillips - Below average pass rusher, average run stuffer.  When healthy.

Bryant/Ankuo - NFL practice squad commoners that make no difference.  

Zimmer - Probably their best inside DL, shame he done for the year, also shame is the best they have - a practice squad free agent.

15 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Not a miracle, but probably requires 3 wins out of 4, which is far from a sure thing.

Newsflash: Bills just an average team in this league 

48 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Look here, don’t make too many analyses:  Bills can’t stop the run and can’t run the ball themselves ( save Allen)… too many mediocre areas on the team

theyre a one and done come the playoffs 

45 minutes ago, Foxx said:

As @Ann pointed out yesterday, Beane picked up Edmunds' 5th year option.  They have to do something with him, be it trade or agreed new contract.  I suppose he can be traded and the new team negotiates a new contract, though I'm not sure what team will see value in a player with poor instincts.  Paying Edmunds $12M is a huge waste of cap space.  My fear is nothing will change other than Edmunds gets a new contract with Buffalo.  I'd guess that he stays at MLB and McD/Frazier continue with a base nickel regardless of the opponent.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Maybe by year 10 the light will come on.

18 minutes ago, Core Four said:

As @Ann pointed out yesterday, Beane picked up Edmunds' 5th year option.  They have to do something with him, be it trade or agreed new contract.  I suppose he can be traded and the new team negotiates a new contract, though I'm not sure what team will see value in a player with poor instincts.  Paying Edmunds $12M is a huge waste of cap space.  My fear is nothing will change other than Edmunds gets a new contract with Buffalo.  I'd guess that he stays at MLB and McD/Frazier continue with a base nickel regardless of the opponent.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Maybe by year 10 the light will come on.

Don't know the cap situation for 2022 but I am thinking that Edmunds remains here unless a new contract is clearly out of line with his abilities.  Instead of a light fine tune with the 2022 draft we now have clear needs at RB, OL, and interior DL.  Nothing so dire that we need to reach but that is where I expect the first 3 picks to fall based on BPA at those positions.  Unless a game changing LB is there I expect LB to be addressed in the later rounds.  

20 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Don't know the cap situation for 2022 but I am thinking that Edmunds remains here unless a new contract is clearly out of line with his abilities.  Instead of a light fine tune with the 2022 draft we now have clear needs at RB, OL, and interior DL.  Nothing so dire that we need to reach but that is where I expect the first 3 picks to fall based on BPA at those positions.  Unless a game changing LB is there I expect LB to be addressed in the later rounds.  

Per Spotrac, the Bills are projected to have $9.7M free space next year, though it should be taken with a grain of salt since it cannot take into account players being released who are on the current roster.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

I would think they don't address RB in the draft since they have too many holes to fill on OL, 1TDT, and probably CB with Tre White not returning until later in the season.  The Bills sat last year's 3rd round pick in Zack Moss, why do they need another RB?  Fix the Oline and the running game gets better.  One thing is clear, Beane and McD have not done the best job in constructing a balanced team.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

make him a pass rusher

Crap Throwing Clavin
28 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

make him a pass rusher

Too small.

I was saying, about two years ago, that with his physical skills he might work out at strong safety.  But with the way his head for the game hasn't developed, I doubt now he'd work out there.

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Too small.

I was saying, about two years ago, that with his physical skills he might work out at strong safety.  But with the way his head for the game hasn't developed, I doubt now he'd work out there.

I was thinking safety, as well.  You're probably right, Edmunds doesn't have the football IQ for that.  Poyer and Hyde are smart and communicate well.  OLB is about it, where the Bills would need to run a 4-3 base and not a 4-2-5 base.  If they run the nickel, I'd sit Edmunds.

Beer__League__Hockey
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Too small.

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

I was thinking safety, as well.  You're probably right, Edmunds doesn't have the football IQ for that.  Poyer and Hyde are smart and communicate well.  OLB is about it, where the Bills would need to run a 4-3 base and not a 4-2-5 base.  If they run the nickel, I'd sit Edmunds.

Safety?!?!?! I want what yous guys are smokin.

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, Beer__League__Hockey said:

Safety?!?!?! I want what yous guys are smokin.

Hey, it was two years ago, before he conclusively proved he couldn't read a play!