Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

26 minutes ago, Ann said:

I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall for those negotiations.

They released a video game based on the Potterverse a few months ago called Hogwarts Legacy. It takes place in the 19th century. They game developers went out of their way to force in gay and trans characters. Oh, and more hilariously, there are game reviews that also put in disclaimers about Rowling having nothing to do with the game because of her "anti trans" comments.

• Facepalm 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
45 minutes ago, Ann said:

I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall for those negotiations.

Prediction: they're going to "reinvent" her property "for modern audiences" to "deconstruct the white cis patriarchy."  And she'll have to watch, because she has no authority and there's not a goddamn thing she'll be able to do about it.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Less than half the people who started watching Rings of Power didn't finish it.

"Your show is so bad that people can't even stick around to hate-watch it."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Less than half the people who started watching Rings of Power didn't finish it.

"Your show is so bad that people can't even stick around to hate-watch it."

I watched every episode the week it came out

I wanted to like it

I really wanted to like it

But it was just bad TV

I know it got bad reviews from the wokeness.  But that wasn't even the worst part.

Even worse than the wokeness was the writing and the acting

The big reveal, I called 2 episodes before the finale.

Mary Sues and CGI crutches aren't my idea of riveting entertainment.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 7:45 PM, B-Man said:

I recently binged the "New" Perry Mason show on HBO.

It is clever, very dark, and very good, but I am a sucker for 30's detective stories any way.

Of course I did have to accept this:

Perry Mason - white, divorced, alcoholic 

Della Street - Lesbian, smarter than Perry.

Paul Drake - Black, angry ex cop

Hamilton Burger - also gay, smarter than Perry.

😄

Thanks. I decided to watch it on your posting. While the first season has been slow to get going, by episode 6 I didn't want to stop watching. Will probably finish up the first season tonight and get started on season 2 tomorrow.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Foxx said:

Thanks. I decided to watch it on your posting. While the first season has been slow to get going, by episode 6 I didn't want to stop watching. Will probably finish up the first season tonight and get started on season 2 tomorrow.

Yeah.  They took a while to set up the premise.

Season two is very tense.

• Cheers 1

Universal is also building an entire new amusement park anchored on this highly popular franchise

Disney movies to leverage its parks is not keeping up.

https://www.outkick.com/super-mario-movie-smashing-box-office-records-while-disney-animated-movies-fail/

The Super Mario Bros. Movie has completely dominated the box office since its release on April 5th.

Over the five-day Easter holiday weekend, the movie raked in nearly $205 million, an astonishing figure.

Beyond that time frame, it’s also the second highest grossing animated three day weekend opening in movie history. Its $146 million figure was second to “Finding Dory,” a 2016 Pixar sequel.

“Super Mario Bros.” has been out for just nine days, yet according to Box Office Mojo, it’s virtually doubled the total international box office of “Lightyear.”

Mario is obviously a popular brand name and intellectual property, but then again, so is “Toy Story” and Buzz Lightyear.

It didn’t matter.

Not only did Disney needlessly insert a woke political message into the film, but they declined to include Tim Allen in the project. Despite him voicing the character in all previous “Toy Story” films.

• Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 1

Deranged Rhino
19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Yup. Everyone's saying it's going to be a prolonged strike... which makes me suspect it'll be the opposite. The industry really can't afford a prolonged strike but everyone's refusing to budge. 

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yup. Everyone's saying it's going to be a prolonged strike... which makes me suspect it'll be the opposite. The industry really can't afford a prolonged strike but everyone's refusing to budge. 

Yeah...whatever will Hollywood do without writers to recycle the same magic minority/Mary Sue scripts over and over?  Can't afford to lose that talent.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • Haha 1

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Yeah...whatever will Hollywood do without writers to recycle the same magic minority/Mary Sue scripts over and over?  Can't afford to lose that talent.

It's going to be really interesting to see how hard of a line the studios are going to draw. I expect there will be the usual bluster of course, but even they know there needs to be changes made to how they build shows/pay structures in the new streaming world. They got away with it last time because there wasn't enough of a sample size to really gauge what the viewing hours/numbers/engagements would actually be. That's not the case now. So unless the studios are actually willing to make tv/film writing part of the gig economy/nearly fully remote - they're going to make a deal in the end. 

The question is what will the writers give up to get there. 

• Cheers 2

CarpetCrawler
3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's going to be really interesting to see how hard of a line the studios are going to draw. I expect there will be the usual bluster of course, but even they know there needs to be changes made to how they build shows/pay structures in the new streaming world. They got away with it last time because there wasn't enough of a sample size to really gauge what the viewing hours/numbers/engagements would actually be. That's not the case now. So unless the studios are actually willing to make tv/film writing part of the gig economy/nearly fully remote - they're going to make a deal in the end. 

The question is what will the writers give up to get there. 

What is there to give up?

• I don't know 1

Deranged Rhino
5 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

What is there to give up?

(Shrug) - there's likely room to give on the healthcare side of things, the world being post covid now I could that being a ripe target. I also wouldn't be shocked to see the fight over the AI stuff become more of a sticking point, which the writers really can't afford to mess up for their long term survival, but it's so new that it could be a repeat of the DVD and streaming missteps of strikes past. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

You know what's funny? You'd think they'd remember what happened the LAST time they went on strike.

Hollywood said "Yeah, well, who really needs engaging content anyway? Let's just get everyday Americans, put them in a house, set up some cameras, and see what happens."

Eighteen versions of "Real Housewives of Ithaca," "Survivor: Compton" and "Thirteen and Pregnant" later...no one missed the writers that much.

16 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

ChatGTP can just as easily recycle the same 5 "original" scripts and the 20,000 remakes of movies already written.

46 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

You know what's funny? You'd think they'd remember what happened the LAST time they went on strike.

Hollywood said "Yeah, well, who really needs engaging content anyway? Let's just get everyday Americans, put them in a house, set up some cameras, and see what happens."

Eighteen versions of "Real Housewives of Ithaca," "Survivor: Compton" and "Thirteen and Pregnant" later...no one missed the writers that much.

Hey man, do you know how hard writers work to script those unscripted shows?

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
44 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

And this time, the WGA is trying to negotiate protections into the studio agreements to prevent the studios from replacing writers with AI.  It's part of their demands.  You know, the demands they're going on strike for.

"Promise not to replace us...or we walk!"  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

And this time, the WGA is trying to negotiate protections into the studio agreements to prevent the studios from replacing writers with AI.  It's part of their demands.  You know, the demands they're going on strike for.

"Promise not to replace us...or we walk!"  

"Oh, lawdy lord! Do what he says! Do what he says!"

QSZwaWQ9QXBp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CarpetCrawler
17 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(Shrug) - there's likely room to give on the healthcare side of things, the world being post covid now I could that being a ripe target. I also wouldn't be shocked to see the fight over the AI stuff become more of a sticking point, which the writers really can't afford to mess up for their long term survival, but it's so new that it could be a repeat of the DVD and streaming missteps of strikes past. 

Doesn't sound like a great bargaining position to be in. The AI stuff is scary, they have to get it right, but who can foresee where it will lead, let alone know what safeguards will be needed a couple of years from now?

Now there's talk about AI generated songs that can totally copy a bands sound and a singers voice. Anybody up for a new Beatles album ???

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
2 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Doesn't sound like a great bargaining position to be in. The AI stuff is scary, they have to get it right, but who can foresee where it will lead, let alone know what safeguards will be needed a couple of years from now?

Now there's talk about AI generated songs that can totally copy a bands sound and a singers voice. Anybody up for a new Beatles album ???

The AI of it all is bonkers from a creative perspective. I really don't know how writers (long term) are going to get around it. Right now studios pay tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, for writers to create drafts or premises which they already know they're going to end up hiring someone else to revise/polish/slap their name on.

AI conceivably can cut out that step. Now any half way decent studio exec with a nugget of an idea can plug it into an AI bot and voila! They have a first premise, a first draft that normally would have cost that studio some coin to produce. It'll end up taking a huge chunk of development work out of the writer's hands, leading to even less jobs.  Even if the AI produces shoddy stuff, a lot of writers do too - but the AI stuff will be (largely) cheaper.

There was a line in 30 Rock in an episode where Aaron Sorkin was a guest star. He and Liz Lemon were talking about the plight of the modern writer in relation to social media and video games: "Listen lady, this is serious. We make horse buggies and the first model T just rolled into town." Seems even more on point no, 15 years later: 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1