Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

13 Seconds...

Foxx

10 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

“here’s what happened and where the Buffalo Bills go from here.” That’s when I came up against the paywall. I suspect there’s more to the article than maybe you first realized, unless you were able to continue reading after the “here’s what happened” portion. 

Yeah, that's where I got to the pay wall.  The first part of the article must be free.  Anyway, I wonder how true it is...50%, 75%, 100%.  Player names were not given, but that should be of no surprise.  I doubt this is completely made up, but I'd really like to know who was quoted.  If it was guys like Josh, Hyde, Poyer, Diggs, I'd give a lot of credence to the article.

Arm of Harm
12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Nice to see some fans not overreact.

The Tweet you’re quoting has a bit of a typo. The article stated that McDermott is the third most important person behind Josh Allen and Brandon Beane. If someone rejects an article because of a statement like that, he will categorically reject any article critical of McDermott. 

I don’t want to be critical of McDermott. He’s done a lot for the team. But, the one thing he needs to do now, the one thing a real leader would do, is to fire Frazier and replace him with a real defensive coordinator. The Bills have been eliminated from the past two postseasons due to a total collapse in defensive coaching. As a defensively oriented head coach, McDermott simply cannot allow that to happen. And yet he appears to be doing exactly nothing to fix the problem. 

25 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Nice to see some fans not overreact.

I doubt this article is completely fiction, I'm sure there is at least some truth to it.  Just a matter of how much truth...50%, 75%, 100%, etc.  We won't know because none of use was in the locker room.  No player is going to allow his name to be quoted, whether he's salty because he won't be here next year or a player who will be here and is pissed at the outcome.  But giving McD a pass, which the tweets you presented seem to do, is wrong.  

21 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

. Personally speaking, I can only take so many "Frazier Sucks! Edmunds Sucks!" type posts. During the games I get it. I'm not an Xs and Os guy and even I can see the in-game issues. But post-game...over and over...gets tiresome *to me.* 

On the upside, it's 100x better than ATOP ever was.

that's just because ATOP had far more self proclaimed "experts" that obsessed over pet issues 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

I doubt this article is completely fiction, I'm sure there is at least some truth to it.  Just a matter of how much truth...50%, 75%, 100%, etc.  We won't know because none of use was in the locker room.  No player is going to allow his name to be quoted, whether he's salty because he won't be here next year or a player who will be here and is pissed at the outcome.  But giving McD a pass, which the tweets you presented seem to do, is wrong.  

so McD takes the fall, which is what all fans "claim" they want a standup coach to do

so a coach that has performed herculean tasks to wash away 2 decades of ineptness and has the team banging on the door every season, now must go

you guys whine way too much

you should be mandated to re-live the 2 decades of hell

26 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

so McD takes the fall, which is what all fans "claim" they want a standup coach to do

so a coach that has performed herculean tasks to wash away 2 decades of ineptness and has the team banging on the door every season, now must go

Keep in mind that the Bills did a piss poor job of finding coaches during those 20 years.  It didn't help that Ralph was known not to pay them well.  The result was that they got bottom of the barrel coaches.  

If your coach keeps making the same mistakes over and over again, and you're committing a well above average amount of money to both the defense and a generational QB, you need to consider if coaching is holding you back.  Continually settling for mediocrity, or sub optimal results, with a stubborn coach is wasting talent and money.  Look at the big picture, which you are sorely missing.

Arm of Harm
3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

You are wrong on several counts. McDermott is not, as you claim, “taking the fall.” Taking the fall implies an action. That action needs to be either a) accepting a penalty or harsh consequence of some sort, or b) taking corrective action to ensure the problem doesn’t happen again. McDermott has done neither. It’s easy to say “I accept responsibility” or “the blame ultimately falls on me.” But those are just words. The same empty words we heard after last year’s coaching catastrophe against KC.

The best head coach we had during the playoff drought was Chan Gailey. Gailey ultimately lost his job as head coach due to his failure to fire his incompetent defensive coordinator. McDermott might want to spend a little time thinking about an otherwise competent head coach getting dragged down by a bad DC. He needs to give that some thought, let it sink in a little.

If you gave Gailey Josh Allen and Diggs and Knox, he probably would have made the playoffs even with his incompetent defensive coordinator. If this past year’s Bills team had Gailey as the head coach and Schwartz or Petrine as the defensive coordinator, they’d have a Super Bowl ring. 

Alaska Darin
18 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

You are wrong on several counts. McDermott is not, as you claim, “taking the fall.” Taking the fall implies an action. That action needs to be either a) accepting a penalty or harsh consequence of some sort, or b) taking corrective action to ensure the problem doesn’t happen again. McDermott has done neither. It’s easy to say “I accept responsibility” or “the blame ultimately falls on me.” But those are just words. The same empty words we heard after last year’s coaching catastrophe against KC.

The best head coach we had during the playoff drought was Chan Gailey. Gailey ultimately lost his job as head coach due to his failure to fire his incompetent defensive coordinator. McDermott might want to spend a little time thinking about an otherwise competent head coach getting dragged down by a bad DC. He needs to give that some thought, let it sink in a little.

If you gave Gailey Josh Allen and Diggs and Knox, he probably would have made the playoffs even with his incompetent defensive coordinator. If this past year’s Bills team had Gailey as the head coach and Schwartz or Petrine as the defensive coordinator, they’d have a Super Bowl ring. 

Most head coaches fail for the same reason - they refuse to quickly adapt to an ever changing environment.  Even Marv was guilty of this because he refused to move on from Corey even when it was obvious that we were wasting the most talent this franchise has ever had on that side of the football. 

I read a few articles on Belichick and how deeply he dove into offense once it was obvious the league was changing to favor that side of the football.  McDermott has clearly evolved in his game management on the offensive side but if he's being true to his word of "analyzing everything each offseason and treating each new season as its own entity" then the defense CAN NOT be the same next season.

In my mind he's started to remind me of Cower, who squandered some pretty good teams in his tenure before he finally got over the hump.  Granted he never had a QB of Allen's caliber...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I read a few articles on Belichick and how deeply he dove into offense once it was obvious the league was changing to favor that side of the football.  McDermott has clearly evolved in his game management on the offensive side but if he's being true to his word of "analyzing everything each offseason and treating each new season as its own entity" then the defense CAN NOT be the same next season.

Admittedly, I have been very critical of McD for obvious reasons.  But I give him a ton of credit for becoming more involved in offense and special teams.  I completely agree that the defense has to change next year, five years of the same defense will not all of a sudden produce the defense that will help get them over the hump.  McD and Frazier seem to be dug in and pretty stubborn, but we'll see come September.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Admittedly, I have been very critical of McD for obvious reasons.  But I give him a ton of credit for becoming more involved in offense and special teams.  I completely agree that the defense has to change next year, five years of the same defense will not all of a sudden produce the defense that will help get them over the hump.  McD and Frazier seem to be dug in and pretty stubborn, but we'll see come September.

The number one priority has been to develop josh. Efforts

were focused here with the defense only tweaked. The plan worked right up to final game, so it wasn't that far off.

I would be pretty surprised if McDonald's does not make slignificant modifications to improve against high octane offenses

Edited by Spartacus

11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

were focused here with the defense only tweaked. The plan worked right up to final game, so it wasn't that far off.

I would be pretty surprised if McDonald's does not make slignificant modifications to improve against high octane offenses

They will look to protect Josh, I look for multiple OL picks and/or FA's.  There can be a combination of things to happen between left OT, G, and C.  A number of variables here, but the point is the OL will be different than this past season, as it should.

On defense, at a minimum I think we'll see a CB2, another LB (hoping it will be MLB but most likely OLB) and a 1TDT which is a big need.  Move on from Star.

I would be surprised if McDonalds brings back the McRib, but you never know.

Arm of Harm
2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I’d love to believe that McDermott is devoting a significant amount of time this off-season to mentoring Frazier. Developing a plan for him to imitate the play calling of a real defensive coordinator when facing a team like the Chiefs. If Frazier’s defense can generate 3 - 4 stops against the Chiefs in the upcoming postseason, that should be sufficient to get past them. You combine that with hopefully an improved offensive line, and the Bills are potentially looking at a Super Bowl win. Then some other team looks at Frazier’s improvement, looks at the Bills’ success, and hires him as their head coach! 😆

Of course, all that is a best case scenario. There is no evidence that McDermott sees Frazier as a problem or is working with him to fix things. All any of us can do is hope that McDermott really is working behind the scenes to fix our defensive coaching problem. If we see the same soft zone, the same contain, the usual 1 - 2 defensive stops against the Chiefs, then we’ll know nothing was done. At that point Pegula needs to pull McDermott into his office and issue an ultimatum: “Either Frazier goes or you go.”

25 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I’d love to believe that McDermott is devoting a significant amount of time this off-season to mentoring Frazier. Developing a plan for him to imitate the play calling of a real defensive coordinator when facing a team like the Chiefs. If Frazier’s defense can generate 3 - 4 stops against the Chiefs in the upcoming postseason, that should be sufficient to get past them. You combine that with hopefully an improved offensive line, and the Bills are potentially looking at a Super Bowl win. Then some other team looks at Frazier’s improvement, looks at the Bills’ success, and hires him as their head coach! 😆

Of course, all that is a best case scenario. There is no evidence that McDermott sees Frazier as a problem or is working with him to fix things. All any of us can do is hope that McDermott really is working behind the scenes to fix our defensive coaching problem. If we see the same soft zone, the same contain, the usual 1 - 2 defensive stops against the Chiefs, then we’ll know nothing was done. At that point Pegula needs to pull McDermott into his office and issue an ultimatum: “Either Frazier goes or you go.”

Playing more man would generate a higher risk, more aggressive d against the chiefs.

what if this was the plan for the playoffs to change it up?

but the plan was aborted due to lack of Tre to provide coverage

2 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

I’d love to believe that McDermott is devoting a significant amount of time this off-season to mentoring Frazier.

Thing is, Frazier shouldn't need mentoring.  He was the DC for Philly and Cincy, as well as the HC for the Vikings.  Frazier has at least as much, if not more, overall coaching experience as McD.

2 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

There is no evidence that McDermott sees Frazier as a problem or is working with him to fix things

Unfortunately, this is the most likely scenario.  If I had to place a bet, this would be it.

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Playing more man would generate a higher risk, more aggressive d against the chiefs.

Highly unlikely.

Maybe Frazier and McD could try putting more of an emphasis on QB sacks.  I think they will find that goes a long way to helping out the DBs.  For some misguided reason, they don't see it that way.

9 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Thing is, Frazier shouldn't need mentoring.  He was the DC for Philly and Cincy, as well as the HC for the Vikings.  Frazier has at least as much, if not more, overall coaching experience as McD.

Unfortunately, this is the most likely scenario.  If I had to place a bet, this would be it.

Highly unlikely.

Maybe Frazier and McD could try putting more of an emphasis on QB sacks.  I think they will find that goes a long way to helping out the DBs.  For some misguided reason, they don't see it that way.

so losing their stud coverage corner had no impact on their scheme and plan

without him, these buffons made it to that game, all by accident I'm sure

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

so losing their stud coverage corner had no impact on their scheme and plan

without him, these buffons made it to that game, all by accident I'm sure

They wouldn't have switched the scheme to man coverage, that's not what Frazier and McD do.  Tre really isn't a man cover CB, he's primarily a zone CB.

Arm of Harm
7 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Many Bills fans have a tendency to allow hope to influence their perception of reality. There are times when I’ve been a good example of that, such as when I expressed cautious optimism about Jeff Tuel. 🤫

Frazier has used the exact same game plan for the last three games against the Chiefs. (The two postseason games and this year’s regular season game.) In two of those games he had TreDavious White, but that didn’t stop him from soft zone/contain. 

Is there a chance your hypothesis is correct? Yes. Is there evidence in support of it? I wish there was. Unfortunately, all the evidence we have points to Frazier thinking that a soft zone/submissive defensive strategy is perfectly good against the Chiefs. And, there is no evidence to suggest McDermott has a problem with that. 

Alaska Darin
16 hours ago, Core Four said:

They wouldn't have switched the scheme to man coverage, that's not what Frazier and McD do.  Tre really isn't a man cover CB, he's primarily a zone CB.

That's not really accurate.  He played plenty of man in college and there have been numerous times when he's basically been singled against the other team's best WR for most of games when the rest of the coverage is zone.

36 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's not really accurate.  He played plenty of man in college and there have been numerous times when he's basically been singled against the other team's best WR for most of games when the rest of the coverage is zone.

i still doubt Tre would have been in man coverage during that last series.  That would have been too aggressive for Frazier.

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

i still doubt Tre would have been in man coverage during that last series.  That would have been too aggressive for Frazier.

just stop the crusade

more likely, Tre would have been on Hill or Kelce

• Haha 1