Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

13 Seconds...

Foxx

The more I think about it the worse this looks for the Bills' coaching staff. It's not that they lost, but how they lost. 

Giving up the the touchdown inside the 2 minute warning after the Bills took the lead was rough but forgivable. KC has a high output offense that's capable of fast strike scoring. They were going to put up points in that game no matter what the defense did. But after the Bills answered with a TD and went up by 3 with 13 seconds left, you almost have to actively try to lose that game. 

What really stands out is there was no miracle play like the "hail murray" or music city travesty. There was no botched play like a bad PI call or a blown coverage that opened the door. The defense (and ST) executed the plays as they were called. It was simply atrocious strategy that allowed the seemingly impossible to happen with relative ease. It's as if they picked the one and only approach that would have made this outcome likely

On one hand I'm hesitant to rip on them too hard because they've taken perennial cellar dwellers and made them in to one of the premier teams in the league, and there's a lot to be said for that.  I'd rather be talking about how we just missed the AFC championship game than talking about how maybe if we get lucky we could we could nab a wild card next year. But it's hard to reconcile that accomplishment with the staggering level of ineptitude displayed the end of that game.

Edited by Robs House
  • Like 4

DaBillsFanSince1973

this one didn't hurt as bad as sb xxv. didn't hurt as bad as the music city debacle or even the '89 divisional duel on the dirt.

it's up there with painful losses but as hard as it may seem to some, this loss showed me what to expect next season and there after. they will be there again, hungrier and more experienced. these players, especially JA don't curl up in to a ball and whine about losing that game, unlike a lot of fans I've seen here and about. they pick their asses up and get back to work!

they will build on it and will be better because of it and as long as JA is under center, you know they'll always have a shot. 

not taking away from the sting from this loss but I don't dwell on the "13 secs" yet I look at it as they had their chance and they came up short. put it behind you and look to the future. dwelling, whining or allowing it to have any affect on your daily life just shows how thinned skinned some fans are and take football games way to serious.

it's just a game.

I'm looking ahead to the 2022 season and anticipating another exciting season with hopes for a better ending.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

That’s the killer.  You need a lot to go right to be in position to win it all, so you better take advantage when that comes.  There was no way they were winning a SB last year (or any year in the past 30), but this year it really was there for the taking.

I really believe we could have beaten the Rams team that the Thumbtacks lost to by 1 yard.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I really believe we could have beaten the Rams team that the Thumbtacks lost to by 1 yard.

I agree.  Earlier this season I didn't think this Bills team could make the SB.  But as things started to shake out, it became clear that they could get to the SB, and win.  Had we beat KC, I liked our chances of beating Cincy.  The Rams would be a challenge, but we could beat them.  Just couldn't get over the KC hump, even when it was there for the taking.

• FANtastic 1

Billsandhorns

I've said it other places, don't remember if I have said it on this board. I believe the winner of this game is going to win the Superbowl.

33 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

I've said it other places, don't remember if I have said it on this board. I believe the winner of this game is going to win the Superbowl.

Looks like it will be KC vs LAR.  Either team can win and will be a good game.  Rooting for the Rams.

7 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Looks like it will be KC vs LAR.  Either team can win and will be a good game.  Rooting for the Rams.

SF owns the Rams

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

SF owns the Rams

The second meeting the Rams blew it and lost in OT.  I can't see the 49ers beating the Rams 3x in a season.

10 hours ago, wnyguy said:

13 seconds. 13 freakin' seconds. One stop is what  I kept saying, "c'mon D, make one stop" 

I agree but I think your font is smaller than mine was. Hate to brag.

• Haha 3

I expected them to lose after that last TD for a couple of reasons...

1) They were celebrating on the sidelines like they had the game won.

2) KC still had three times outs and only needed a FG to tie for OT, or TD to win. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 2:28 PM, Robs House said:

The more I think about it the worse this looks for the Bills' coaching staff. It's not that they lost, but how they lost. 

Giving up the the touchdown inside the 2 minute warning after the Bills took the lead was rough but forgivable. KC has a high output offense that's capable of fast strike scoring. They were going to put up points in that game no matter what the defense did. But after the Bills answered with a TD and went up by 3 with 13 seconds left, you almost have to actively try to lose that game. 

What really stands out is there was no miracle play like the "hail murray" or music city travesty. There was no botched play like a bad PI call or a blown coverage that opened the door. The defense (and ST) executed the plays as they were called. It was simply atrocious strategy that allowed the seemingly impossible to happen with relative ease. It's as if they picked the one and only approach that would have made this outcome likely

On one hand I'm hesitant to rip on them too hard because they've taken perennial cellar dwellers and made them in to one of the premier teams in the league, and there's a lot to be said for that.  I'd rather be talking about how we just missed the AFC championship game than talking about how maybe if we get lucky we could we could nab a wild card next year. But it's hard to reconcile that accomplishment with the staggering level of ineptitude displayed the end of that game.

This is pretty much where I am. The only way the game is lost is with the exact combination of calls we used. Kicking for a touchback probably would’ve been fine if you played real defense after, and playing a super soft prevent shell where the first 15 yards are free probably would’ve been fine if we put the ball in play and killed some clock on the kickoff. (I still would’ve hated it, but it would probably work.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I expected them to lose after that last TD for a couple of reasons...

1) They were celebrating on the sidelines like they had the game won.

2) KC still had three times outs and only needed a FG to tie for OT, or TD to win. 

image.png.f5c6aad024c7f1caf4e56023084d6c6b.png

It is also historically common among fans of the Buffalo Bills during playoff games.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

image.png.f5c6aad024c7f1caf4e56023084d6c6b.png

It is also historically common among fans of the Buffalo Bills during playoff games.

I literally looked at the clock when Gabe scored and thought "even we can't possibly &#%$ this up, right?"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Crap Throwing Clavin
39 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I literally looked at the clock when Gabe scored and thought "even we can't possibly &#%$ this up, right?"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

For me, it was less "We can &#%$ this up," and more "What can Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill do with 13 seconds and 3 times out?"  

For most teams, 13 seconds isn't a lot.  For a handful - Bills among them - that's workable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Last thing I said to my wife last year as she left the room with 34 seconds remaining in the AZ game was "I don't know that this is over."

She didn't need me to say the same thing about 13 seconds on Sunday.

31 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Last thing I said to my wife last year as she left the room with 34 seconds remaining in the AZ game was "I don't know that this is over."

She didn't need me to say the same thing about 13 seconds on Sunday.

Same.  My wife left the room.  She didn't watch football before we got together.  I'm not sure most times that she's happy we have the same addiction now.

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I got my first congrats text at that moment and immediately wrote back "not over yet".  And I thought of the AZ game.

• Like 2

I wasnt at all shocked they lost. Happy we went ahead? Absolutely. Heart Rate about 175? You bet. Celebrating? Hell no. Nothing counts until 0:00 and heartbrake is always lurking a throwback away. I lernt that lessin in 1999.

Edited by RkFast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RkFast said:

I wasnt at all shocked they lost. Happy we went ahead? Absolutely. Heart Rate about 175? You bet. Celebrating? Hell no. Nothing counts until 0:00 and heartbrake is always lurking a throwback away. I lernt that lessin in 1999.

or 1980 in San Diego.