Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Supreme Court of the United States

Foxx

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Ann said:

It was arguably the right decision, for the same reasons that Trump should have been able to overturn DACA. 

The real problem is that immigration law is so convoluted and overly broad that it delegates too much of that decision making to the executive...but that is the law, and the redress should be legislative, not judicial.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

The Supreme Court’s Civics Lesson

by Noah Rothman

A momentous term for the Supreme Court ended on Thursday with one of the most consequential rulings it has handed down this year.

With its decision in West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency, the Court has affirmed the notion that it is the purview of Congress—not the federal bureaucracy—to write laws. That lesson will be bitterly resisted, which is why it is so vital.

In this case, the Court was asked to determine whether the EPA has the authority to set rules around emissions generated by coal-burning power plants that are so strict they could have no other effect than to remove coal from the nation’s electricity mix. The Court ruled that this administrative effort to render an entire sector of the economy obsolete was not supported by statute or Congressional intent. Indeed, it was contemptuous of both.

“EPA claimed to discover an unheralded power representing a transformative expansion of its regulatory authority in the vague language of a long-extant, but rarely used, statute designed as a gap filler,” read the syllabus of the decision authored by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts. “That discovery allowed it to adopt a regulatory program that Congress had conspicuously declined to enact itself.”

The EPA’s expansive interpretation of its statutory jurisdiction extended well beyond what Congress had approved. Indeed, the agency’s authority appeared to have been derived from that which Congress explicitly spurned. “Nor can the Court ignore that the regulatory writ EPA newly uncovered,” Roberts added, “conveniently enabled it to enact a program, namely, cap-and-trade for carbon, that Congress had already considered and rejected numerous times.”

https://www.commentary.org/noah-rothman/the-supreme-courts-civics-lesson/

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It was arguably the right decision, for the same reasons that Trump should have been able to overturn DACA. 

The real problem is that immigration law is so convoluted and overly broad that it delegates too much of that decision making to the executive...but that is the law, and the redress should be legislative, not judicial.

Yeah, but the problem with this as I see is that it green lights that the executive can pick and chose what laws it wants to enforce. We have laws against illegal immigration, now that Biden can ignore them it will only get worse. I'd prefer the ruling had included "yeah, but you still must do your job to execute the law"

Edited by Cinga

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Yeah, but the problem with this as I see is that it green lights that the executive can pick and chose what laws it wants to enforce. We have laws against illegal immigration, now that Biden can ignore them it will only get worse. I'd prefer the ruling had included "yeah, but you still must do your job to execute the law"

They always could, analogous to "prosecutorial discretion" (which is the basis of DACA.)  

Is it bullshit?  Yes.  Such bullshit that it was the primary reason the entire federal bureaucracy went against Trump (who was very much more an "enforce the laws as written" president, more so than anyone I can remember.)  But it's also perfectly legal bullshit.  

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Biden backs filibuster changes to codify Roe v. Wade

Jesus...is abortion so important that they have to blow up parliamentary process in ways that will invariably come back to bite them in the ass?

The main reason Roe v. Wade was repealed is because of Harry Reid's short-sightedness in eliminating the filibuster.  Do Democrats have any sense of perspective?  Can they take a long-term view?  Do they understand cause and effect?  Or...reality?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Biden backs filibuster changes to codify Roe v. Wade

Jesus...is abortion so important that they have to blow up parliamentary process in ways that will invariably come back to bite them in the ass?

The main reason Roe v. Wade was repealed is because of Harry Reid's short-sightedness in eliminating the filibuster.  Do Democrats have any sense of perspective?  Can they take a long-term view?  Do they understand cause and effect?  Or...reality?

Perhaps things will get better for them now that they've just seated the first...well...

• O Rly 1
  • Doh! 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Perhaps things will get better for them now that they've just seated the first...well...

Oh, that's who you were talking about, above.  I'd forgotten completely about her.

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Oh, that's who you were talking about, above.  I'd forgotten completely about her.

Can't say I blame you. Biden nominating a black woman to the SC ensured it was a cakewalk.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

Can't say I blame you. Biden nominating a black woman to the SC ensured it was a cakewalk.

I'm gravely disappointed at the lack of a Navajo trans quadriplegic on this court.  And they claim to be woke.  

Edited by Crap Throwing Monkey
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 2
  • FANtastic 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I'm gravely disappointed at the lack of a Navajo trans quadriplegic on this court.  And they claim to be woke.  

Oh sure, you're just trying to get 3 vvvotttesss with one seat! I see through your all inclusiveness of a ruse!

Crap Throwing Clavin

My God...that's the dumbest possible reply.  Only biologists are allowed to determine gender?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

MothersMilk
5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

My God...that's the dumbest possible reply.  Only biologists are allowed to determine gender?

Gender should be as easy as a take a look in your pants kind of thing... if you see a thing down there call yourself a biologist and determine that you are a male. If you see no thing you are a female. 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I'm sure federal abortion clinics are somewhere in the Constitution.

These people and their inability to understand checks and balances borders on criminal.  "The justices misled us when we asked them pointed questions..."  waaaaaaaaaaaah &#%$ing waaaaaaaaaaaah.  Does your newest Supreme Court judge know her own gender?

• Cheers 3