Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Josh Allen ..................The Book of Josh.

B-Man

7 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Disagree

we'll see

Marv did the same thing with the K-gun

couldn't live with the success

Marchibroda had the clout to override Marv

after he left, Marv constantly fought to go back to dinosaur ball

His choices in OCs was just so cutting edge  

the offense stagnated when not maximizing its big advantage in the conditioning of the offensive line

Hopefully McD is smarter than Marv in not screwing up a good thing

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

that's this year's latest comments on the O

go back to his comments last year on his desire to run the ball 

He's walking a fine line on strangling Josh's productivity in his desire to save him

You're missing the bigger picture.  McD's being forced to rein in Allen by Fauci, for the same reason Big Pharma manipulated the Pro Bowl vote last season: Allen's lack of support for the jab.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

You're missing the bigger picture.  McD's being forced to rein in Allen by Fauci, for the same reason Big Pharma manipulated the Pro Bowl vote last season: Allen's lack of support for the jab.  

glad you're on board

the Bills get screwed last year by the NFL due to their teams' covid stance.

However, this is a new year and the Bills have not pissed off anyone at NFL HQ yet, so the prospects are good.

just keep McD away from the offense

• Facepalm 1
  • O Rly 1

3 hours ago, Core Four said:

Have you ever heard the term "run to set up the pass?"  You can't just pass, similar to you can't just run.  You need both and a more balanced offense.  Mix in the short pass out of the backfield, as well.  If you pass down field too much, the defense will crowd medium and deep routes as well as blitz since those type pass plays take a while to develop.  If your offense is run and short pass heavy, defenses will put 8 in the box allowing the offense to go nowhere.

You need a mix to both to keep the defense off balance.  Just because you want to establish the run, doesn't make you a "dinosaur."  That stance is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the chess game of offense vs defense works.

You should be hitching your wagon to the Bill Walsh mantra 

"Pass to score, run to win."

He firmly  believed that you used an awesome passing game to score early and often.

Big leads led to a very effective pass rush as teams had to pass

You ran later in games to close out the game 

"run to pass" is more dinosaur thinking.

but it can be exploited by savvy offernses

since most defensive coaches practice and preach "stop the run" first, their LBs have been trained to treat everything as a run first. 

because of this now ingrained reaction, teams (including the Bills) have shown that play action works extremely well, even if the team sucks at actually running the ball. If you pass the ball great, it is counter-productive to waste plays running the ball for minimum gains, just because the dinosaur said to.

The Bills should actually run the ball primarily out of draw plays, spread formations and other pass first looks.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Core Four said:

You need a mix to both to keep the defense off balance.  Just because you want to establish the run, doesn't make you a "dinosaur."  That stance is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the chess game of offense vs defense works.

The trick here is that an established running game would be incredible for the Bills because they don't NEED the run game to establish the passing game.

I'm talking Tennessee and Colts (with Wentz). You can't count on quarterbacks like Tannehill and Wentz to come from behind down 17. Shut down their backs and chase the quarterback. You can't do that with the Bills, which is what the previous poster seems to be missing.

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The trick here is that an established running game would be incredible for the Bills because they don't NEED the run game to establish the passing game.

All I was saying there is that if you get off balance, the LBs and DBs would either play back (shutting down the pass) or forward (shutting down the run).  You won't have a lot of success in the medium and long passing game if the DBs are playing back, which is why the Bills would want to run the ball more effectively.  You can't, and it sounds like McD doesn't want, Josh being the guy who changes this dynamic with his legs and accounts for 90% of the offense.

11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm talking Tennessee and Colts (with Wentz). You can't count on quarterbacks like Tannehill and Wentz to come from behind down 17.

Yeah, you shut down those teams running game, build a 10+ point lead, and they're not coming back.  

12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Shut down their backs and chase the quarterback. You can't do that with the Bills

QBs like Mahomes and Josh are too good, it's amazing how they can change a game.  We're real lucky to have Josh.

16 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

which is what the previous poster seems to be missing.

That among many other concepts in football.

13 hours ago, devnull said:

Strolling down memory lane this evening, reading some of the 2018 Draft commentary on Allen :chuckle:

I think Kiper was one of the only ones who had it right.

46 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I think Kiper was one of the only ones who had it right.

I seem to recall that one time while he was talking up Allen as his favorite QB in the draft, the other dudes on the panel were snickering and acting surprised.

Couldn't find the video, but it was pretty good.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I seem to recall that one time while he was talking up Allen as his favorite QB in the draft, the other dudes on the panel were snickering and acting surprised.

Couldn't find the video, but it was pretty good.

I don't think this is the one you were talking about because it is a year after Allen was drafted but it is along the lines you mention. Only the first 1:20, the rest is the YouTuber opining.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, Core Four said:

All I was saying there is that if you get off balance, the LBs and DBs would either play back (shutting down the pass) or forward (shutting down the run).  You won't have a lot of success in the medium and long passing game if the DBs are playing back, which is why the Bills would want to run the ball more effectively.  You can't, and it sounds like McD doesn't want, Josh being the guy who changes this dynamic with his legs and accounts for 90% of the offense.

in below analysis, Josh ranks 12th

because his running is not counted

Expect reduced production if McD neuters his running 

https://theathletic.com/3204802/2022/04/01/nfl-2022-qb-gravitron-what-advanced-metrics-say-about-justin-herbert-patrick-mahomes-joe-burrow-others/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

AFC East

PLAYER OFFEPA/PLAY TOP IQR 2021 IQR
0.11 (19)
114.6 (2020)
0.07 (31)
93.7 (2021)
-0.01 (49)
91.5 (2021)
-0.18 (74)
72.5 (2021)

Bills

It’s obvious Josh Allen is the class of the AFC East at quarterback, and in the conversation of top five quarterbacks in the league. But it might be a little surprising to find some of Allen’s numbers outside that elite category. His 2021 EPA (0.11) ranked 11th, and his IQR ranked 12th. Part of that comes with his lower completion percentage (63.3) and higher interception total (15) than those above him. The IQR doesn’t measure his production with his legs, though, which is obviously elite for a quarterback.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

in below analysis, Josh ranks 12th

because his running is not counted

Expect reduced production if McD neuters his running 

https://theathletic.com/3204802/2022/04/01/nfl-2022-qb-gravitron-what-advanced-metrics-say-about-justin-herbert-patrick-mahomes-joe-burrow-others/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

AFC East

PLAYER OFFEPA/PLAY TOP IQR 2021 IQR
0.11 (19)
114.6 (2020)
0.07 (31)
93.7 (2021)
-0.01 (49)
91.5 (2021)
-0.18 (74)
72.5 (2021)

Bills

It’s obvious Josh Allen is the class of the AFC East at quarterback, and in the conversation of top five quarterbacks in the league. But it might be a little surprising to find some of Allen’s numbers outside that elite category. His 2021 EPA (0.11) ranked 11th, and his IQR ranked 12th. Part of that comes with his lower completion percentage (63.3) and higher interception total (15) than those above him. The IQR doesn’t measure his production with his legs, though, which is obviously elite for a quarterback.

I want less designed runs for Josh.  I still want Josh to have the freedom to scramble and run when he needs to.  Daboll had way too many designed runs for comfort.  His poor offensive game design, coupled with a useless blocking scheme, had Josh run more than what he should.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 1:10 PM, Nanker said:

This is really good stuff. It's amazing how cathartic that game is for me. Just watched more of it the other night.

I know, I know, 13 seconds, but this absolute thrashing of a team that thrashed us for so many years lets me know the tides are changing for this team.

In fact, I would argue it's changing for the whole city.

I don't follow soccer, but the Sabres are all up in my social media feed, and they showed another example of changing tides.

They were down 4-0 to Chicago and they eventually come back to tie the game. We all know how that ends. Good effort, but they lose, right?

Wrong. They won.

And you know how they won? By the puck coming up from behind the opponent's net, and getting pushed into the goal off the opponent's goalie's skate. The goalie was so furious he broke his stick slamming it on the goal.

Shit like this doesn't happen in Buffalo sports. But like I said, the tides they are a changing.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is really good stuff. It's amazing how cathartic that game is for me. Just watched more of it the other night.

I know, I know, 13 seconds, but this absolute thrashing of a team that thrashed us for so many years lets me know the tides are changing for this team.

In fact, I would argue it's changing for the whole city.

I don't follow soccer, but the Sabres are all up in my social media feed, and they showed another example of changing tides.

They were down 4-0 to Chicago and they eventually come back to tie the game. We all know how that ends. Good effort, but they lose, right?

Wrong. They won.

And you know how they won? By the puck coming up from behind the opponent's net, and getting pushed into the goal off the opponent's goalie's skate. The goalie was so furious he broke his stick slamming it on the goal.

Shit like this doesn't happen in Buffalo sports. But like I said, the tides they are a changing.

The kids are going to be alright.  Maybe we win the lottery again this year and get another stud up front.  That would be pretty epic.

Tage Thompson:  28 Goals, 23 Assists, 51 Points in 64 Games

Ryan O'Reilly:  13 Goals, 28 assists, 41 Points in 62 Games

Not saying the Sabres won that trade (duh) but it doesn't look quite as lopsided now, especially considering Ryan Johnson is getting ready to graduate from college.

Owen Power, Jack Quinn, Johnson, and this year's lottery pick are on the way to join Tuch, Krebs, Cozens, etc.  After the season, Adams will have an additional $29+M Pegula dollars to play with.  We could really see a quick turnaround at Harbor Center.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The kids are going to be alright.  Maybe we win the lottery again this year and get another stud up front.  That would be pretty epic.

Tage Thompson:  28 Goals, 23 Assists, 51 Points in 64 Games

Ryan O'Reilly:  13 Goals, 28 assists, 41 Points in 62 Games

Not saying the Sabres won that trade (duh) but it doesn't look quite as lopsided now, especially considering Ryan Johnson is getting ready to graduate from college.

Owen Power, Jack Quinn, Johnson, and this year's lottery pick are on the way to join Tuch, Krebs, Cozens, etc.  After the season, Adams will have an additional $29+M Pegula dollars to play with.  We could really see a quick turnaround at Harbor Center.

Again, only follow on social media, but I suspect Eichel was a great divide among fans. Was he part of the problem, or was management? Seems like a classic Buffalo pissing match, with many fans suddenly experts on how to handle a herniated disk.

Then Eichel gets traded, Sabres start winning, and the turnaround is begun.

Great time to be a fan.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Again, only follow on social media, but I suspect Eichel was a great divide among fans. Was he part of the problem, or was management? Seems like a classic Buffalo pissing match, with many fans suddenly experts on how to handle a herniated disk.

Then Eichel gets traded, Sabres start winning, and the turnaround is begun.

Great time to be a fan.

Losing is like cancer and it's just as hard to recover from.  I don't think Jack came to Buffalo as a problem child but getting your ass handed to you for six straight years would make anyone bitter, especially someone who has only known success.

Sometimes marriages just don't work.  There's plenty of blame to go around.

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Losing is like cancer and it's just as hard to recover from.  I don't think Jack came to Buffalo as a problem child but getting your ass handed to you for six straight years would make anyone bitter, especially someone who has only known success.

Sometimes marriages just don't work.  There's plenty of blame to go around.

ebf4e76d-2712-4862-b4fa-1371c2a1f92c_tex

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 1