Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Josh Allen ..................The Book of Josh.

B-Man

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
10 hours ago, Core Four said:

I want less designed runs for Josh.  I still want Josh to have the freedom to scramble and run when he needs to.  Daboll had way too many designed runs for comfort.  His poor offensive game design, coupled with a useless blocking scheme, had Josh run more than what he should.

I disagree. I love the designed runs.

2 years ago I felt differently, because Josh was a different runner. He took unnecessary chances in non-critical situations.

However that part of his game has grown and developed, just as his passing game has.

He now distinguishes between “must” situations, and generic down and distance, and has learned to get down, or get out of bounds. His stature as an elite QB has also grown, and he now gets “those calls”.

He is *the best* player on the field in pretty much every game he plays in, and you want the ball in the best player’s hands.

He is, more so than a QB, a football player, an elite athlete, and one of the more intense competitors I’ve ever seen.

You can’t take that out of him. It’s what makes him “Josh Allen”.

You ride the horse you have.

Be grateful that you’re riding Secretariat.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

23 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

2 years ago I felt differently, because Josh was a different runner. He took unnecessary chances in non-critical situations.

However that part of his game has grown and developed, just as his passing game has.

He now distinguishes between “must” situations, and generic down and distance, and has learned to get down, or get out of bounds. His stature as an elite QB has also grown, and he now gets “those calls”.

He is *the best* player on the field in pretty much every game he plays in, and you want the ball in the best player’s hands.

He is, more so than a QB, a football player, an elite athlete, and one of the more intense competitors I’ve ever seen.

Yes yes and yes but no. Now hear me out. LOL. Haven't heard that since ATOP have ya. But really, I do think he matured a lot in his running. He doesnt punish himself as much. Cant 100% take that away. He is who he is or he is not him. And Josh Allen is a great QB that is greater when he is a threat to run. I do however want a RB as the featured runner and Josh as the icing on the cake when it doesnt look like a running play. Keep the reigns on him. Not the leash. 

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
8 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Yes yes and yes but no. Now hear me out. LOL. Haven't heard that since ATOP have ya. But really, I do think he matured a lot in his running. He doesnt punish himself as much. Cant 100% take that away. He is who he is or he is not him. And Josh Allen is a great QB that is greater when he is a threat to run. I do however want a RB as the featured runner and Josh as the icing on the cake when it doesnt look like a running play. Keep the reigns on him. Not the leash. 

It would be nice to have a bell-cow type back we could hand the ball to 20+ times per game, but that guy isn’t on our roster.

Also, Josh’s designed runs are typically intended to be chunk plays, where that isn’t reliably the case with a RB. The reason being, when a QB runs, it disadvantages the defense by forcing them to account for an extra man at the point of attack.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

It would be nice to have a bell-cow type back we could hand the ball to 20+ times per game, but that guy isn’t on our roster.

Also, Josh’s designed runs are typically intended to be chunk plays, where that isn’t reliably the case with a RB. The reason being, when a QB runs, it disadvantages the defense by forcing them to account for an extra man at the point of attack.

One of the few problems this team has now is the lack of the bell cow back. If they don't address it this offseason I think they do in the next 13 months.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 1

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

You are dead on.  A lot of the BILLS' offense is based around the fact that Allen MUST be accounted for on every play, regardless of formation, down, or distance.  The most interesting part (to me) is how few hard hits he takes on the designed runs.  He's done a much better job since year one of recognizing when to get down or go out of bounds.

I don't have a problem with the designed runs - especially on 3rd and less than 5.  If Belichick can't stop it, no one can.  QBs are more likely to get hurt in the pocket when guys fall into their legs than they are driving forward anyway.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

One of the few problems this team has now is the lack of the bell cow back. If they don't address it this offseason I think they do in the next 13 months.

In theory Moss and Singletary are supposed to compliment each other, and they may.  Daboll just couldn't use them effectively for a few reasons.  Once the oline is set this offseason, I think we'll see a better run game this coming season.  It's possible they get a RB this draft, though I think that will be based on BPA as they don't have a lot of need going into the draft.

19 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You are dead on.  A lot of the BILLS' offense is based around the fact that Allen MUST be accounted for on every play, regardless of formation, down, or distance.  The most interesting part (to me) is how few hard hits he takes on the designed runs.  He's done a much better job since year one of recognizing when to get down or go out of bounds.

I don't have a problem with the designed runs - especially on 3rd and less than 5.  If Belichick can't stop it, no one can.  QBs are more likely to get hurt in the pocket when guys fall into their legs than they are driving forward anyway.

true

Contrary to the wishes of Joe B and various football dinosaurs, Beane's roster building plan does not include investing big money or high draft picks in any RB. He will draft 3rd-4th round or some tremendous value and will fill in the RB room with low cost vets that will perform certain roles (see McKissic, Duke Johnson).

as noted above, Josh is the most explosive, dynamic player in football, you don't waste downs by banging it up the middle to fill a quota.

Most RB runs should be out of play action or draw plays to exploit the pass first mentality 

one other note is that much of the offensive production generated by the Bills is because the offense was able to stay on field with Josh handling the ball. Going conservative by reigning in Josh will likely result in more punts and less Josh overall.

The more focus spent on developing a running game means less time spent on honing the passing game.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I am grateful I'm rinding Secretariat, and I want him to stay healthy.  IMO, Daboll relied too heavily on planned runs, like on first or second down.  On a third and short, I get a planned run in that situation.

I'm not trying to limit or take Josh out of the offensive plan, Josh just can't be 90%+ of the offense...something is wrong when that happens.  I'd like to see more balance and not having such a huge weight on Josh's shoulders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

I am grateful I'm rinding Secretariat, and I want him to stay healthy.  IMO, Daboll relied too heavily on planned runs, like on first or second down.  On a third and short, I get a planned run in that situation.

I'm not trying to limit or take Josh out of the offensive plan, Josh just can't be 90%+ of the offense...something is wrong when that happens.  I'd like to see more balance and not having such a huge weight on Josh's shoulders.

who cares if he is 90% of the offense?

that's a bogus straw man argument 

short passes, long passes, - as long as he isn't getting pounded in the pocket, he's throwing the ball- 

not a lot of physical stress 

designed runs where he knows he's runnning and the defense doesn't results in limited hits as well- in addition to big chunk plays which then influence how the defense covers the passing game

running game would improve if they ran a lot more draw plays out of spread formations, which utilize the Bills pass first tendencies to their advantage  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

who cares if he is 90% of the offense?

that's a bogus straw man argument 

short passes, long passes, - as long as he isn't getting pounded in the pocket, he's throwing the ball- 

not a lot of physical stress 

designed runs where he knows he's runnning and the defense doesn't results in limited hits as well- in addition to big chunk plays which then influence how the defense covers the passing game

running game would improve if they ran a lot more draw plays out of spread formations, which utilize the Bills pass first tendencies to their advantage  

When Josh accounts for more rushing yards than the RBs, that would probably mean the blocking has broken down.  That happened too much this past season.  I don't have an issue with the RPO, but when Josh needs to run because three defenders are in the backfield, that is a problem.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Core Four said:

When Josh accounts for more rushing yards than the RBs, that would probably mean the blocking has broken down.  That happened too much this past season.  I don't have an issue with the RPO, but when Josh needs to run because three defenders are in the backfield, that is a problem.

so fix the OL

how is adding high cost RB resources to a broken OL going to get rid of those 3 defenders out of the backfield?

more 3rd and longs after futilely running up the guy just makes it harder for Josh on 3rd downs

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

so fix the OL

how is adding high cost RB resources to a broken OL going to get rid of those 3 defenders out of the backfield?

more 3rd and longs after futilely running up the guy just makes it harder for Josh on 3rd downs

You been paying attention? The above has been worked on. 

• Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
11 hours ago, Core Four said:

I would just ask you to consider who you’d rather turn the ball over to, instead of giving it to the best player in the league?

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I would just ask you to consider who you’d rather turn the ball over to, instead of giving it to the best player in the league?

I'm just asking for fewer planned runs by Josh.  I think Daboll was borderline reckless at times; Bruce Arians called him out on it, for what ever that is worth.  I want the ball in Josh's hands, I have no problem with RPO which gives Josh the freedom to run when he wants to; I just don't want a planned run called on first down.  I'd rather have the ball in Josh's hands than in Case Keenum's hands.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
55 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'm just asking for fewer planned runs by Josh.  I think Daboll was borderline reckless at times; Bruce Arians called him out on it, for what ever that is worth.  I want the ball in Josh's hands, I have no problem with RPO which gives Josh the freedom to run when he wants to; I just don't want a planned run called on first down.  I'd rather have the ball in Josh's hands than in Case Keenum's hands.

So…

Again…

Josh is almost always the best player on the field *in any position*…

Who would you rather have the ball?

• Wow 1

8 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

So…

Again…

Josh is almost always the best player on the field *in any position*…

Who would you rather have the ball?

The planned runs have a place.
The scrambles have a place.
Josh is the best player on the field nearly all the time.
Increasing the risk of his being injured is not a good plan.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ann said:

The planned runs have a place.
The scrambles have a place.
Josh is the best player on the field nearly all the time.
Increasing the risk of his being injured is not a good plan.

Couldn't have said it any better.  Not sure why it is difficult to understand that the more you have Josh running around with the ball, the greater chance of injury.

As I pointed out earlier, I would rather Josh lead the offense than Case Keenum, which is exactly what will happen if the unnecessary first and second down planned runs aren't canned.  Otherwise, why not just run Josh every down, get rid of all the WRs and RBs, and resemble a backyard football game with the neighborhood's best athlete on your team.

• Like 1