Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS 2023/24 Season Official Thread

Alaska Darin

20 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

My wife goes straight to Watson's in Clarence EVERY trip back to Buffalo to get their sponge candy.  A box usually shows up here during the holidays every year too.  

East Amherst.  I redeemed my last loyalty card there right before we moved. 😛 

My step-FIL never had sponge candy before he came to Buffalo for our wedding. It quickly became his favorite candy. We sent it to him for his birthday and Christmas thereafter (no easy feat since he lived in Vegas) until he passed away. 

1 hour ago, Ninety-4 said:

My wife goes straight to Watson's in Clarence EVERY trip back to Buffalo to get their sponge candy.  A box usually shows up here during the holidays every year too.  

I personally have never heard of sponge candy. Is it a Buffalo thing? 

57 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

This would be an awesome get.

If they sign Ford, would they trade Oliver?  I wonder what they’d get for Oliver in a trade.

I think I’d get a stud linebacker first.

35 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Yes, but don’t go out of your way to get it.

The best way to describe it is like a chocolate covered stale circus peanut candy. 

• Boo 1

Alaska Darin
3 minutes ago, snafu said:

If they sign Ford, would they trade Oliver?  I wonder what they’d get for Oliver in a trade.

I think I’d get a stud linebacker first.

Ford would be in the rotation with Jones.  I don't see the BILLS trading Oliver.  That rumor has always seemed weird to me.

• Cheers 3

Alaska Darin
39 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

It's like a higher end malted milk ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Ford would be in the rotation with Jones.  I don't see the BILLS trading Oliver.  That rumor has always seemed weird to me.

Then would you re-sign Jordan Phillips and let Tim Settle go?

• I don't know 1

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, snafu said:

Then would you re-sign Jordan Phillips and let Tim Settle go?

Phillips is currently a free agent.

Phillips is currently a free agent.

Right.  Re-sign him.  Am I using that expression wrong?

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
Just now, snafu said:

Right.  Re-sign him.  Am I using that expression wrong?

Nah, I didn't read it right.  They just restructured Settle, so I suspect he's going to be with us.  I'd love to have both Phillips and Shaq back on cheap deals but there's not much money left.  We all know GMBB likes to have a ton of depth on the DLine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Nah, I didn't read it right.  They just restructured Settle, so I suspect he's going to be with us.  I'd love to have both Phillips and Shaq back on cheap deals but there's not much money left.  We all know GMBB likes to have a ton of depth on the DLine.

Phillips was having a good year before he wrecked his shoulder.  And Lawson is useful on the edge, especially with Miller out.  I wanted Settle to be really good, but he didn’t seem very effective.  

I think signing Poona Ford is a luxury they can’t afford until LB is taken care of.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

Phillips was having a good year before he wrecked his shoulder.  And Lawson is useful on the edge, especially with Miller out.  I wanted Settle to be really good, but he didn’t seem very effective.  

I think signing Poona Ford is a luxury they can’t afford until LB is taken care of.

Im guessing the wrecked shoulder is why we have not signed him. They kbow his timetable better than any for his full recovery

• Like 4

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, snafu said:

MLBer in the modern NFL is going the way of RBs.  Most good teams are not going to spend big dollars on name veterans and are instead going to lean heavily on either players on their rookie deal or inexpensive veterans who can still produce at a higher level than their price tag. 

If you can clog up the running game and get a good interior push using your DLineman, you don't need high-level MLBer play.  Just a guy who can instinctively read plays quickly, hit the appropriate gap and finish tackles.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

MLBer in the modern NFL is going the way of RBs.  Most good teams are not going to spend big dollars on name veterans and are instead going to lean heavily on either players on their rookie deal or inexpensive veterans who can still produce at a higher level than their price tag. 

If you can clog up the running game and get a good interior push using your DLineman, you don't need high-level MLBer play.  Just a guy who can instinctively read plays quickly, hit the appropriate gap and finish tackles.

And right now the Bills have zero ILBs and not too much money.  It will be very interesting to see what they do in the 1st round. They need good 2nd round players. I wonder if they trade out and try to get an extra 2nd round pick(+).  

• O Rly 1
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
7 minutes ago, snafu said:

And right now the Bills have zero ILBs and not too much money.  It will be very interesting to see what they do in the 1st round. They need good 2nd round players. I wonder if they trade out and try to get an extra 2nd round pick(+).  

Dodson, Spector, and Bernard are all ILBers, whether people want to believe it or not.  I suspect there will be some additional options as guys are forced to look at lesser deals, post June 1st cap casualties, training camp cuts, and the draft.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a first or second spent on a LBer. but also won't be surprised if neither happens.

People need to get used to the idea that we're going to have to develop/use players who aren't ideal because we're paying our QB nearly $50M.  We're paying one player big at each level of the defense.  That's pretty much the standard way of building a team in today's NFL.

• Cheers 4

58 minutes ago, snafu said:

Yes, but don’t go out of your way to get it.

The best way to describe it is like a chocolate covered stale circus peanut candy. 

57 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You're both crazy. The sponge is melt-in-your-mouth deeeeeeeeeeeeeliccccious! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Except malted milk balls are yummy.

Sponge candy is &#%$ing vile.  

• Haha 2
  • Boo 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Dodson, Spector, and Bernard are all ILBers, whether people want to believe it or not.  I suspect there will be some additional options as guys are forced to look at lesser deals, post June 1st cap casualties, training camp cuts, and the draft.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a first or second spent on a LBer. but also won't be surprised if neither happens.

People need to get used to the idea that we're going to have to develop/use players who aren't ideal because we're paying our QB nearly $50M.  We're paying one player big at each level of the defense.  That's pretty much the standard way of building a team in today's NFL.

People who've been watching the Bills for 40 years still can't understand that you can't have a Pro-Bowler at every position, particularly in the era of free agency.

You can't be elite everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2