Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Diggs Traded?

Alaska Darin

crawhammer
3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Diggs was not going to be a top 5 receiver forever and the odometer has clicked over the age of 30.  As I hinted above I think the real reason for this move is to give Beane ammo to move up in the draft.  The cost was minimal in terms of salary due had he stayed versus closing the books in terms of dead money.  4 million is just not enough to cry over when you think about the possibilities from FA or the draft. 

If Beane drafts MHJ then I'll shut up.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, crawhammer said:

We all will. After we scream for joy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

I'm one of those people who believes top 5 WRs are good for offenses.

I know what the calendar says. 53-man rosters aren't due until August 29 at 4:00 PM. On April 3 I hate this trade. There aren't many options for replacing the production of a top 5 WR. On any date.

The Chiefs traded their top WR and won the Super Bowl the next year. He also got better after leaving the Chiefs which will not happen with Diggs. Other than that good call. 

• Like 1

Spartacus
2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

This article talks about this in more depth, in case anyone wants to take a break from losing their shit over this.

A couple of quotes:

this common misconception has been laughed at by opposing team's (including KC) on multiple ocasions.

teams weren't double and triple teaming Diggs.

they weren't even using their top CB on him anymore

Diggs was reduced to catching dump offs for short gains

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/04/stefon-diggs-trade-bills-josh-allen-houston-texans-afc-east-struggles

Conventional wisdom suggested that Diggs, staring down enhanced defensive scrutiny and a litany of double- and triple-teams, needed more help at wideout to free up Buffalo’s passing game. Instead, the Bills opted to cut bait altogether and start from scratch.

• Like 3

Nouseforaname
54 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Lol. I don't know that me, me, me, first is a psychological issue. If it is... man does humanity have a serious issue. :classic_laugh: 

I don’t even know his problem was a me problem, he just seemed like someone with mood swings.

• Cheers 2

Nouseforaname
8 minutes ago, LB3 said:

The Chiefs traded their top WR and won the Super Bowl the next year. He also got better after leaving the Chiefs which will not happen with Diggs. Other than that good call. 

They traded their top wide receiver for draft picks.  They also had been over the hump, easier to do when you have the trophy to back it up.

RochesterRob
10 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

I'm thinking that Beane's ideal trade partner to go up in the draft order would be the NY Giants who need picks more than a premium player.  I don't think MHJ falls that far but Nabers may very well.  The Texans pick coupled with our own 2024 1st would get us to pick 14 most likely or maybe 13 or 12 if we are lucky.  Then our 2025 1st and 2nd coupled with 12-14 with some change coming back to us to get us to 6.  Hopefully, the Giants buy into the pessimism about our 2024 record meaning they might value our 2025 picks being in the top 10 for each round.  LA might be another possible  trade partner but my feeling is they might want Nabers themselves. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

They traded their top wide receiver for draft picks.  They also had been over the hump, easier to do when you have the trophy to back it up.

I understand that. None of that has anything to do with his assertion that the Bills will struggle next year.

Ninety-4
1 hour ago, LB3 said:

The Chiefs traded their top WR and won the Super Bowl the next year. He also got better after leaving the Chiefs , which will not happen with Diggs. Other than that good call. 

I think Diggs will get better but that won't take much.  In the Bills last 5 regular season games, all wins, he had a total of 214 yards on 24 catches.  Those are tight end or RB numbers.  He was playing fewer snaps for some reason and productivity when he was in there was not similar to previous seasons or earlier last season.  Clearly, they de-emphasized him for some reason.  

Crap Throwing Clavin

My Twitter feed is, for some reason, full of people pointing out Sammy Watkins is available.  :facepalm:

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 3

Fansince88
2 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

My Twitter feed is, for some reason, full of people pointing out Sammy Watkins is available.  :facepalm:

Because people are morons the day of big news. Makes me wonder how it goes ATOP. (Actually, I dont care)

art_vandelay

I dont know about this one...  Even if the plan is trade up using the extra 2025 2nd rounder, it gets us up to the mid/late teens at best?  Youre not getting any of the top 3 receivers - Harrison & Nabers are going top 6 or top 7 at worst, and Odunze wont last much longer. 

So at best, if we're trading up, it'll be for Brian Thomas?

All the while, we're taking a huge cap hit, and losing Diggs' production?  

And this is a bit different from the Chief's situation when they decided not to sign Hill to a long-term, because the cap savings were used to strengthen other areas of the team (i.e., OL).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Jabba The Hutt
2 hours ago, Ann said:

We all will. After we scream for joy.

Only if we get McConkey too... Should've swapped for Tank Dell.

RochesterRob
5 minutes ago, art_vandelay said:

I dont know about this one...  Even if the plan is trade up using the extra 2025 2nd rounder, it gets us up to the mid/late teens at best?  Youre not getting any of the top 3 receivers - Harrison & Nabers are going top 6 or top 7 at worst, and Odunze wont last much longer. 

So at best, if we're trading up, it'll be for Brian Thomas?

All the while, we're taking a huge cap hit, and losing Diggs' production?  

And this is a bit different from the Chief's situation when they decided not to sign Hill to a long-term, because the cap savings were used to strengthen other areas of the team (i.e., OL).

Got to offer quite a bit more to go up to six.  The theory is that in a deep draft additional picks carry more value than a shallow draft.  Ideally it would be good to make use of the Texans' 2nd round pick for 2025 but that is going to be a different matter.  

art_vandelay
23 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Got to offer quite a bit more to go up to six.  The theory is that in a deep draft additional picks carry more value than a shallow draft.  Ideally it would be good to make use of the Texans' 2nd round pick for 2025 but that is going to be a different matter.  

Yeah, Im guessing Diggs' was just getting to be too much and would have been a cancer in the locker room.  Otherwise, I just dont see why we did this.

3 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

@snafu This reminds me, I  need to watch the latest Shogun episode that aired last night. 🍻

Just finished episode 5 with the missus.

• Like 2