Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Diggs Traded?

Alaska Darin

crawhammer
26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I appreciate your take, but it honestly surprises me because you genuinely seem to have a tighter grasp of the NFL that most other fans.

What exactly did I get wrong?  Have you looked at Diggs numbers in a Bills uniform?  AP1, AP2, PB x4, he's a top 5 WR in the NFL.  The team isn't replacing that.  Josh Allen is one of my favorite QBs in the game today but he was mediocre before Diggs arrived.  I think the Patriots might have better receivers at this point.  Allen's great but he's not winning shit without a solid supporting cast.  I was thinking they needed a legit WR2 to go along with Diggs at WR1.  Right now it's a couple of decent TEs and a bunch of WR3s.  If the goal is getting over the divisional round hump then this isn't the way to do it.

I want Buffalo to be competitive, as I said before, I saw them as one of few teams with the capability of competing with KC.  They're not in that class anymore.  I'm thoroughly disappointed with this trade.

• Like 1
  • clown 1
  • O Rly 1
  • Haha 2

crawhammer
16 minutes ago, Ann said:

What's his point? Who got hosed worse? Diggs is a top 5 WR in the NFL. He and Allen put up huge numbers together. The trade sucks.

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

That's quite a bit unfair from that 716 dude.

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
Just now, snafu said:

That's quite a bit unfair from that 716 dude.

He’s a dick.  Had to mute him.

IDBillzFan
27 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

What exactly did I get wrong?  Have you looked at Diggs numbers in a Bills uniform?  AP1, AP2, PB x4, he's a top 5 WR in the NFL.  The team isn't replacing that.  Josh Allen is one of my favorite QBs in the game today but he was mediocre before Diggs arrived.  I think the Patriots might have better receivers at this point.  Allen's great but he's not winning shit without a solid supporting cast.  I was thinking they needed a legit WR2 to go along with Diggs at WR1.  Right now it's a couple of decent TEs and a bunch of WR3s.  If the goal is getting over the divisional round hump then this isn't the way to do it.

I want Buffalo to be competitive, as I said before, I saw them as one of few teams with the capability of competing with KC.  They're not in that class anymore.  I'm thoroughly disappointed with this trade.

I just figured you were knowledgeable enough about football that you wouldn't be one of those people who believes that losing a player like Diggs in April means the team is going to struggle in September.

It's not ideal, but it's only a death blow to those who are always looking for death blows.

• Cheers 2

IDBillzFan
4 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

He’s a dick.  Had to mute him.

Me too. A while ago. 

Billsandhorns
9 minutes ago, Dante said:

So do the Bills have to pay his salary this upcoming season?

They are on the hook for 31 million ( bonus money etc already paid out). 

• Like 1

Nouseforaname

So what’s the over/under on the first poster to write « but the tweets! » when stef has a monster game?

• Haha 1

IDBillzFan
2 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

It’s not the trade, it’s the dead cap hit. 

If only there was time left to sort this out before the NFL seasons kicks off this Sunday. :classic_dry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Alaska Darin
15 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I can understand the move from their perspective - Diggs is an established veteran whose mere presence will make those players better.  The trade off is how much of a diva is he going to be when he realizes he's not going to be the man there?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
13 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

It’s not the trade, it’s the dead cap hit. 

It's less than $4M more than he was already getting.  It's basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  The reality for everyone is this was likely Diggs last season in Buffalo as anything close to what he's been.  Father Time is undefeated and when Diggs was option 1A last season, the offense was very inconsistent.

Stefon Diggs of 2023/24 is not Stefon Diggs of 2020.

• Cheers 4

RochesterRob
1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's less than $4M more than he was already getting.  It's basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  The reality for everyone is this was likely Diggs last season in Buffalo as anything close to what he's been.  Father Time is undefeated and when Diggs was option 1A last season, the offense was very inconsistent.

Thank you!

• Cheers 1

IDBillzFan
15 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

This article talks about this in more depth, in case anyone wants to take a break from losing their shit over this.

A couple of quotes:

There’s also evidence Diggs is no longer the catalyst who once made Allen such a dangerous downfield passer. 2023 was a season of lows when it came to Diggs’ tenure in western New York.

69.6 receiving yards per game? His worst as a Bill. His average yards before catch dropped precipituously from 9.4 to 7.3 last season. That was his shortest target distance since 2018, when he was playing alongside Kirk Cousins in a low-risk Minnesota offense.

As Buffalo rallied from 6-6 and single-digit odds to make the playoffs with a 5-0 finish, Diggs averaged just 43 yards per game and an inefficient 5.5 yards per target — the latter of which would have ranked 121st among qualified NFL players over the entirety of 2023. While still impactful, there’s a reasonable doubt when it comes to Diggs’ status as WR1 — and if he’s not that guy, Buffalo’s kinda screwed to begin with!

So the Bills pulled off a Bill Belichick move and decided it was better to deal a popular veteran a year too early rather than a year too late. The problem is, well, this season is starting to look pretty grim for Buffalo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
42 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm not freaking about about this, because I'm old enough to realize that all the football-related freak-outs I've ever had in my lifetime were wasted time.  

Whatever.  It'll work out.  We still have a mutant at QB.  This still isn't the drought Bills.  

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1