Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

I know the Bills won today, but man the refs sucked. That “forward progress” fumble was inexcusable , the non holding calls were terrible, and for the first 3 quarters it seemed to me the refs were just trying to keep Washington in the game.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Ann said:

I know the Bills won today, but man the refs sucked. That “forward progress” fumble was inexcusable , the non holding calls were terrible, and for the first 3 quarters it seemed to me the refs were just trying to keep Washington in the game.

That forward progress call was as bad at the one down in Houston (IIRC in '89) where the Bills eventually won in OT but they should've won in regulation as the Bills scored on a fumble recovery late that the refs decided should be overturned for "forward progress."  That one was soooooo blatent that SNL made fun of the ref in a skit with John Goodman as the ref.

That particular game was awesome.  The Bills scored a TD on a blocked FG attempt as time in the 1st half expired.  It's also the game that Beebe made a spectacular catch where he got helicoptered as he grabbed the ball.  (Can't imagine many of today's WRs making that catch.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Ann said:

The non-touchback on Tre’s interception was suspect as well. Looked to me like the receiver had a hand on Tre’s hand just after he caught it before he went to the ground in the end zone. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Frustrating at best.  What bugs me as much as anything is that each official is miked to the rest of the officiating team, BUT they have to huddle together for even the most trivial situation.  Waste of time....

6 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I didn't think he was, had he put his whole foot down he would have been, but he didn't. I guess sometimes shadows count???

I just keep asking myself why tennis can figure out how to automatically call lines but the NFL can't. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I just keep asking myself why tennis can figure out how to automatically call lines but the NFL can't. 

The non calls that drive me and hubby crazy are delay of game. Come on...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

The non calls that drive me and hubby crazy are delay of game. Come on...

HQ needs various options to influence game outcomes.

otherwise, it would be TOO obvious

56 minutes ago, Ann said:

Yesterday, during Lions v Green Bay, Green Bay got off a play AFTER the clock went to 0 to end the third quarter. Green Bay ended up scoring a TD on that drive. I complain about the play clock being ignored, but this was especially egregious as the game clock was at 0 before the ball was snapped.

I see that happen multiple times a week. The excuse is that the ref has to look at the clock and then look to the snap, so there is a delay. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 hours ago, Ann said:

Yesterday, during Lions v Green Bay, Green Bay got off a play AFTER the clock went to 0 to end the third quarter. Green Bay ended up scoring a TD on that drive. I complain about the play clock being ignored, but this was especially egregious as the game clock was at 0 before the ball was snapped.

Game clock we see isn't the official time.  What we see could have been wrong.