Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

18 hours ago, Ann said:

Should the NFL?

the refs accomplish what the teams on the field cannot

deliver the results the NFL wants to see, and instructs the refs to deliver

anything reducing the ref's power to control the game and dictate outcomes will never be implemented

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

the refs accomplish what the teams on the field cannot

deliver the results the NFL wants to see, and instructs the refs to deliver

If that were true, you’d have seen some of the holding, off sides, and delay of game penalties that the Bengals committed called early and often when they played the Bills. The Buffalo Bills were the story this year. That, and you know the NFL would have loved to have tested a neutral site championship game .

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

If that were true, you’d have seen some of the holding, off sides, and delay of game penalties that the Bengals committed called early and often when they played the Bills. The Buffalo Bills were the story this year. That, and you know the NFL would have loved to have tested a neutral site championship game .

The Bills voided that preferential treatment by coming out flatter than a pancake and being completely disinterested in competing .

no way was the NFL going to favor a clear imposter, that was likely to embarass the Shield

Edited by Spartacus
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

The Bills voided that preferential treatment by coming out flatter than a pancake and being completely disinterested in competing .

no way was the NFL going to favor a clear imposter 

I don’t know an early holding call negating a long pass reception  is an easy way to change momentum….

It really isn’t scripted.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

I don’t know an early holding call negating a long pass reception  is an easy way to change momentum….

It really isn’t scripted.

passes came out quick

because guys were wide open by 5 yards

pass rush did not get close because of above, so tough to find OL to assess bogus holding penalty against

could have got some help if any phase of the Bills showed up and competed

Just now, Fansince88 said:

Yeah, I’m curious why they only called one intentional grounding on Burrow (could have been three), one hold on Apple (I lost count of how many could have been called), etc.  Both sides have complaints.

• Like 3

https://www.outkick.com/pat-mcafee-nfl-bengals-eagles-chiefs-san-francisco-niners/

“I do think, though, that we have a massive officiating issue,” McAfee told Schefty. “I think refs suck! Not all refs. There are some refs that suck, and they shouldn’t be in playoff games. Why are they in playoff games? Especially when there’s only two games, and there’s going to be 50 million people watching.”

The missed calls and seemingly one-sided officiating were so egregious to McAfee that he went down a rabbit hole suggesting that referees could potentially be paid, considering they’re only “part-time” employees of the NFL.

“Since they’re not completely committed to the NFL, there’s a chance that somebody can get a hold of them,” McAfee added. “Now, I think they get paid well, but what is well? What is the line? Especially with how much money is potentially being made off of these games.”

15 hours ago, Ann said:

Yeah, I’m curious why they only called one intentional grounding on Burrow (could have been three), one hold on Apple (I lost count of how many could have been called), etc.  Both sides have complaints.

That’s not a good narrative though. Conspiracy always sells. Had some time yesterday to watch the game again and there were a ton of missed calls. Illegal contact on Kelce at least six times where he was hit and redirected 6-8 yards past the LOS. Holding on both offensive lines. Grounding on both QB’s missed. Burrow had multiple. The games are officiated the same as they have always been. The difference is now with all the camera angles, pod casts and 500 so called “ experts “ everyone is pushing a separate agenda. The ones I like is that they do it because of Vegas and betting. Vegas adjusts lines based on money bet by bettors. They don’t care who wins.

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, Spartacus said:

passes came out quick

because guys were wide open by 5 yards

pass rush did not get close because of above, so tough to find OL to assess bogus holding penalty against

could have got some help if any phase of the Bills showed up and competed

Yeah, and Damar Hamlin's dead.

JFC, conspiracies require some level of competence.  Very few NFL games are decided by the first 2 drives so your entire theory is utter &#%$ing nonsense.

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

https://www.outkick.com/pat-mcafee-nfl-bengals-eagles-chiefs-san-francisco-niners/

“I do think, though, that we have a massive officiating issue,” McAfee told Schefty. “I think refs suck! Not all refs. There are some refs that suck, and they shouldn’t be in playoff games. Why are they in playoff games? Especially when there’s only two games, and there’s going to be 50 million people watching.”

The missed calls and seemingly one-sided officiating were so egregious to McAfee that he went down a rabbit hole suggesting that referees could potentially be paid, considering they’re only “part-time” employees of the NFL.

“Since they’re not completely committed to the NFL, there’s a chance that somebody can get a hold of them,” McAfee added. “Now, I think they get paid well, but what is well? What is the line? Especially with how much money is potentially being made off of these games.”

If there was a real conspiracy theory, the BILLS would be in the Super Bowl because people tune in to watch Josh Allen.  The numbers are inarguable.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3
  • FANtastic 1

55 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

If there was a real conspiracy theory, the BILLS would be in the Super Bowl because people tune in to watch Josh Allen.  The numbers are inarguable.

Not to mention: mass shooting at Tops, massive blizzard killing dozens, player dies on the football field on Monday Night Football.

That type of shit BEGS for a conspiracy to lift up the city of Buffalo.

You know. Just like it did with New Orleans winning it all after Katrina.

• Like 7

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Yeah, and Damar Hamlin's dead.

I heard he moved to Norway, because...y'know, pining for the fjords.  

Remarkable safety, isn't he, Damar Hamlin?  Lovely plumage,

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/07/mike-pereira-thinks-aaron-rodgers-has-a-point-on-best-referees-leaving-for-tv/

I do feel that officiating is under-appreciated from the standpoint of the league. I think the job I had [as head of officiating] is the second-most important job in the league. I give Roger Goodell the No. 1 job, but I think what happens in officiating and the integrity of the game, I think that position is so important that if you get the right one you should do everything to not let them get away. . . .

“I don’t think it’s ever been looked at as a position, like the EVPs, in that top tier of executives, and I do think that’s where it belongs. It’s not ever been that way, and it isn’t that way in the NBA and MLB and I think it should be.”

Pereira is absolutely right. During the season, the head of officiating is (or at least should be) the most visible and vocal person in the league. In recent years, that role has been vacated, with executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent becoming the one who talks when circumstances require something to be said. (That said, Walt Anderson will do periodic pool reports, when a replay decision of significance occurs during a game.)

But the league continues to not value the position. Dean Blandino, who like Pereira once ran the officiating function for the NFL and now works with Pereira at Fox, told me more than five years ago that the NFL does not value the job.

44 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Replace Goodell with Biden and NFL officiating with the economy and you have last night's SOTU message, with the exact same amount of truth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

This is EXACTLY what the NFL should be doing.

only if they cared about accuracy on the field

not so much, if their objective is to retain the ability to influence game outcomes

since, clearly the technology and methodology exists to improve the officiating, some hidden agenda is stopping them from implementing.