Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Interesting idea about former players becoming refs. I would think a problem might be that they would tend to favor their former position, however.

I wouldn’t have thought of the favoring their position angle, though I can certainly see it. I would think there would also be issues with guys favoring their former teams. It might be easy enough to say a guy who spends his whole career with one or two teams can’t officiate those team’s games, but what do you do with a guy like Fitz? He’d be ineligible to officiate half the games in a given week if he were to become an official and that rule were in place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

I wouldn’t have thought of the favoring their position angle, though I can certainly see it. I would think there would also be issues with guys favoring their former teams. It might be easy enough to say a guy who spends his whole career with one or two teams can’t officiate those team’s games, but what do you do with a guy like Fitz? He’d be ineligible to officiate half the games in a given week if he were to become an official and that rule were in place. 

the former team angle is tough

you can help out your former team in other games.

say the ref last night favored the Bills

a key penalty against the Chiefs vs Raiders at a key time wouldn't be noticed

However, you don't need to be a former player to have these biases, or gambling interests 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

Officials need officiated IMO.

Grant the ability to red flag missed calls or wrong calls. Keep the amount of red flag usage the same. HC thinks the missed or wrong call is important enough he throws the red flag.

Flow of the game is very important. I get it, but so is the integrity of the game/results..

29 minutes ago, Ann said:

There was no penalty on this?

16660087979998056252042040775541.jpg.14e88465087ede912e389ec6045f4299.jpg

Of course not. Jones was simply trying to leap-frog Josh, but because he's such a heavy dude, he couldn't get airborne. #/NFLOfficials

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 5:09 AM, Ann said:

Interesting idea about former players becoming refs. I would think a problem might be that they would tend to favor their former position, however.

i like the idea, but some players hold grudges for a very long time 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
18 minutes ago, Shady said:

i like the idea, but some players hold grudges for a very long time 

I could not even begin to imagine Fred Smerlas officiating a Bills game.

• Haha 3

Over the years NFL athletes have gotten stronger, faster and more athletic. The refs probably haven't advanced as much and it is more difficult in today's game to get the calls correct. Let me be clear, some calls such as the tripping on Josh do not fall into that category and are just FUBAR but calls such as WR sideline catches can be difficult to determine. 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:54 PM, 3rdnlng said:

Over the years NFL athletes have gotten stronger, faster and more athletic. The refs probably haven't advanced as much and it is more difficult in today's game to get the calls correct. Let me be clear, some calls such as the tripping on Josh do not fall into that category and are just FUBAR but calls such as WR sideline catches can be difficult to determine. 

Its a good point and problem that may take more eyes with better angles to fix IMO.   

watched some Giants and Jets football.

DBs getting free pass to mug and tackle WRs

could be the league feels its time to make the New Jersey teams relevant again, with whatever "assistance" is needed