Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

55 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And games would be interminable.  They'd last longer than cricket matches.  Players would go on the COVID list in the first quarter, and be eligible to come off it in the 4th.  

Wouldn't change anything time wise IMO. Coaches are going to throw the red flag for something regardless. Missed calls on Diggs make the game looked fixed. Red flagging missed penaltys on critical plays provides a governing force backup to officiate the officials IMO. Bias and favoritism does occur among the ranks of the officiating crews in my humble opinion DC.

Edited by Figster

Just now, Figster said:

Wouldn't change anything time wise IMO. Coaches are going to throw the red flag for something regardless. Missed calls on Diggs make the game looked fixed. Red flagging missed penaltys on critical plays provides a governing force backup to officiate the officials IMO. Bias and favoritism does occur among the ranks of the officiating crews.

I think it would be like spot fouls, they would never overturn/call them. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ann said:

I think it would be like spot fouls, they would never overturn/call them. 

The Diggs PI's are obvious and game outcome changers.

Edited by Figster
  • Cheers 1

Billsandhorns

They tested the challenge flag on PI calls/non calls. I think of all the times it was challenged it was only reversed once.

If it came back I suspect that we would see the same result

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Figster said:

I think the red flag usage should be extended to missed penalty calls by the officials. It would help keep the integrity of the game results where it should be IMO. It would also bring more uniform officiating from one crew to the next. Keep the same limit of red flag usage. 

They tried that last year with pass interference calls. The referees/league nearly universally refused to admit they missed a call, except to screw over the Saints (who forced the rule change because of official ineptitude.)

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

The officiating sucks. Roger Goodell is a taint.

They won’t be able to fix either one of those above statements.

That's an insult to taints...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koko said:

They tried that last year with pass interference calls. The referees/league nearly universally refused to admit they missed a call, except to screw over the Saints (who forced the rule change because of official ineptitude.)

Naturally the officiating crews would fight it right?

Crap Throwing Clavin

So this...

If the video doesn't tee up, it's the roughing call at 7:30.

Refs call roughing the passer on Carolina #93...who's on the sidelines, waving his hands and never touching Allen.  After #97, while still in bounds, pushes Allen out of bounds.

Not the worst call I've seen this season.  Still another example of how unbelievably awful the officials have been all season.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, Ann said:

This seems to be almost impossible.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:52 AM, Ann said:

And this seems to be almost statistically impossible.

I looked at that site and it was hard to decipher, probably could figure out where he got the figures and totals but I'm tired so I moved on and read the thread instead. I would like to see the numbers for all quarterbacks and see if the scale is incremental from Rodgers to Allen or if there is a significant drop-off in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

This seems to be almost impossible.

And this seems to be almost statistically impossible.

I looked at that site and it was hard to decipher, probably could figure out where he got the figures and totals but I'm tired so I moved on and read the thread instead. I would like to see the numbers for all quarterbacks and see if the scale is incremental from Rodgers to Allen or if there is a significant drop-off in there somewhere. 

That puts me in mind of a question: how well kept and collated are penalty stats, both for players and officials?

Because I can't recall ever seeing the numbers that would support an analysis like you suggest...which strikes me as downright suspicious for a league that measures and qualifies every damn thing otherwise.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

That puts me in mind of a question: how well kept and collated are penalty stats, both for players and officials?

Because I can't recall ever seeing the numbers that would support an analysis like you suggest...which strikes me as downright suspicious for a league that measures and qualifies every damn thing otherwise.

I can't say for sure and am unsure if I am reading a bit of factiousness in your words, but I do know they keep track of penalties and their totals. I would imagine though that it would have to be someone, like at the site that is linked, who is anal retentive enough to watch every single minute of every single game and catalogue the particulars. Also, I think the NFL tries, or at least states that they grade the officials and that is supposed to be one way they choose who works post-season, get promoted to Refs... so on and so forth.

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I can't say for sure and am unsure if I am reading a bit of factiousness in your words, but I do know they keep track of penalties and their totals. I would imagine though that it would have to be someone, like at the site that is linked, who is anal retentive enough to watch every single minute of every single game and catalogue the particulars. Also, I think the NFL tries, or at least states that they grade the officials and that is supposed to be one way they choose who works post-season, get promoted to Refs... so on and so forth.

I think it is safe to say that holding officials accountable has not been a major focus for the NFL. Part of that is because of the officials’ union, which protects officials from being fired for bad performance. If the NFL can’t solve the problem it can at least keep things quiet, which is why it’s against the rules to criticize the officiating. 

“The officials are human and humans make mistakes,” does not explain why some teams get better calls than others. For example only 2 defensive holding calls on Buffalo’s opponents, when I think around 15 would be normal. If this was due to normal human error on the part of the officials, then maybe next year we might get 20 or 30 defensive holding calls against our opponents. We all know that isn’t going to happen.

The same teams which drew the short straw this year are likely to draw it again next year. The “human error” people have not presented an explanation as to why this is the case. They dismiss explanations as “conspiracy theories.” It is possible that those so-called “conspiracy theories” are incorrect. But at least the people proposing them are engaged in a discussion about why officiating favors some teams over others, instead of unthinkingly accepting the non-explanation of “human error.” 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

"Penalty, on the offense -- you know what, never mind. It's fine," she said after throwing a flag on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Edited by Crap Throwing Monkey
  • Haha 5

On 12/22/2021 at 4:41 PM, Arm of Harm said:

I think it is safe to say that holding officials accountable has not been a major focus for the NFL. Part of that is because of the officials’ union, which protects officials from being fired for bad performance. If the NFL can’t solve the problem it can at least keep things quiet, which is why it’s against the rules to criticize the officiating. 

“The officials are human and humans make mistakes,” does not explain why some teams get better calls than others. For example only 2 defensive holding calls on Buffalo’s opponents, when I think around 15 would be normal. If this was due to normal human error on the part of the officials, then maybe next year we might get 20 or 30 defensive holding calls against our opponents. We all know that isn’t going to happen.

The same teams which drew the short straw this year are likely to draw it again next year. The “human error” people have not presented an explanation as to why this is the case. They dismiss explanations as “conspiracy theories.” It is possible that those so-called “conspiracy theories” are incorrect. But at least the people proposing them are engaged in a discussion about why officiating favors some teams over others, instead of unthinkingly accepting the non-explanation of “human error.” 

you assume the league disagrees with calls the refs are making that you think are wrong. 

likely the league supports those calls as they are pushing a league mandated narrative for the games in question.  

hard to be held "accountable" when the refs are doing what the league directed