Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

18 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Things I have never seen. Feel free to add to it:

1) A player not in the game get called for a penalty.

2) Not once but twice in the first 5 minutes they called the penalty on one side of the ball, stopped the game and switched the call.

these things happen after calls from NY clarify the ref's  mandate

too many highly questionable calls this week alone to not raise serious concerns about the NFL dictating outcomes in games thru the refs.

NFL no longer pretending it has no ties to gambling

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/referee-tony-corrente-offers-unsatisfying-explanation-of-flag-that-negated-bears-touchdown/

Although Watt appeared to be inside the tight end box when Daniels went low to block him, Corrente said he was outside the tight end box.

“The new rule this year is there should be no contact below the waist to any player outside of the tight end box. And this player initiated low contact to a player outside the tight end box,” Corrente said.

It also wasn’t even clear if Daniels ever touched Watt. Replay angles were inconclusive, but Watt appeared to avoid Daniels. If there was any contact, it was incidental. But Corrente didn’t see it that way.

The call was incredibly costly for the Bears, as they had to settle for a field goal after the 15-yard penalty wiped their touchdown off the board. That essentially means the call cost the Bears four points in a game they lost 29-27.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

30 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

too many highly questionable calls this week alone to not raise serious concerns about the NFL dictating outcomes in games thru the refs.

NFL no longer pretending it has no ties to gambling

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/referee-tony-corrente-offers-unsatisfying-explanation-of-flag-that-negated-bears-touchdown/

Although Watt appeared to be inside the tight end box when Daniels went low to block him, Corrente said he was outside the tight end box.

“The new rule this year is there should be no contact below the waist to any player outside of the tight end box. And this player initiated low contact to a player outside the tight end box,” Corrente said.

It also wasn’t even clear if Daniels ever touched Watt. Replay angles were inconclusive, but Watt appeared to avoid Daniels. If there was any contact, it was incidental. But Corrente didn’t see it that way.

The call was incredibly costly for the Bears, as they had to settle for a field goal after the 15-yard penalty wiped their touchdown off the board. That essentially means the call cost the Bears four points in a game they lost 29-27.

That wasn't even the worst one. He hit that Marsh guy with a taunting call after a huge sack because he didn't like his posture. It's fair to question whether Tony Corrente had money riding on the Steelers last night.

Those were two brazenly inexplicable calls that had a dramatic affect on the game. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Robs House said:

That wasn't even the worst one. He hit that Marsh guy with a taunting call after a huge sack because he didn't like his posture. It's fair to question whether Tony Corrente had money riding on the Steelers last night.

Those were two brazenly inexplicable calls that had a dramatic affect on the game. 

And they could have called encroachment against the bears all night but waited until Pittsburgh's final drive to enforce it. (Yes I know they called 1 earlier)

Buffalo Timmy

The most likely conclusion in my opinion, is that the NFL tell officials weekly to focus on something specific depending on situation and therefore the officials are looking for something vs just seeing it happen. It explains the taunting call perfectly, he was told the Bears taunt therefore he found it. The only other conclusion is something nefarious since the NFL could fix it be chooses not to fix it.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The most likely conclusion in my opinion, is that the NFL tell officials weekly to focus on something specific depending on situation and therefore the officials are looking for something vs just seeing it happen. It explains the taunting call perfectly, he was told the Bears taunt therefore he found it. The only other conclusion is something nefarious since the NFL could fix it be chooses not to fix it.

follow the money

gambling

Nouseforaname
3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I like to think that this is simply incompetence but as someone who has lived through all the Italian soccer scandals, it's hard to ignore foul play in some circumstances.

• Like 1

I'm at the point where I'm ready to just walk away from it.  There's literally nothing humans aren't willing to ruin because they can't help themselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nouseforaname
23 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm at the point where I'm ready to just walk away from it.  There's literally nothing humans aren't willing to ruin because they can't help themselves.

Just wait until after the Bills win the superbowl.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
28 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Pretty much already have.  Aside from the Bills, watched no football this weekend...and wasn't really paying attention to the Bills, either.

Every play I watch now, I find myself waiting for the flag.  The game's turned in to watching the officials with the players just there to enable them.

19 minutes ago, Meazza said:

not going to happen this year

Bills are on the NFL's shit list due to covid - Beasley twitter storm and Beane's fire the non-vaxxed comment

for supposed Super Bowl contenders, the NFL has assigned the Bills the worst announcers, worst referees with outcomes indicating less than preferential treatment

Beer__League__Hockey
24 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Every play I watch now, I find myself waiting for the flag.  The game's turned in to watching the officials with the players just there to enable them.

Football is the only sport where something happens (McKenzie's non-TD against TEN for example) and the play doesn't exist after the penalty.  Every other sport pretty much stops if a foul is committed - or the continuation after a foul only benefits the offended team, but still counts.

56 minutes ago, Meazza said:

If the offense keeps playing like this he’ll be waiting a long time. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Beer__League__Hockey said:

Football is the only sport where something happens (McKenzie's non-TD against TEN for example) and the play doesn't exist after the penalty.  Every other sport pretty much stops if a foul is committed - or the continuation after a foul only benefits the offended team, but still counts.

Hockey, too...Brett Hull's goal should have been disallowed since he was in the crease.

But still, nowhere near to the extent that it happens in the NFL.