Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

On 5/21/2021 at 8:38 AM, Ann said:

Patrick Mahomes calls for microchips in footballs to improve officiating

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes wants the NFL to go high tech to improve officiating.

The NFL has a microchip in every football as part of its data tracking, and bits of that data are sometimes revealed to the public through the league’s Next Gen Stats. But Mahomes says the chip should also be used to alert the officials to when a ball crosses a goal line.

“I’ve always thought the chip in the ball has to happen sometime, where if you cross the line, it just tells you a touchdown,” Mahomes said on the WHOOP podcast, via the Kansas City Star. “The biggest thing to me is when they get in the pile by the end zone, there is literally no way to tell if he’s in the end zone or not. It’s like you said, it’s just whatever they call. … I’m sure it’ll happen soon enough.”

</snip>

Is it wrong that I read that in a Kermit the frog voice

Beer__League__Hockey

I've been advocating for chips as well, probably since the early 2000s.  Tostitos Scoops are generally considered the best, but I'd go to a bargain basement Tops brand if need be.  

Seriously though, how would the chip help much?  You'd still need to understand when the runner was down.  Let the refs be refs, they might suck and blow calls sometimes, but that is the human element of football that you can't take out.  I like the randomness it can cause.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things which irks me the most about officiating is the non-calls. Take Josh Allen's first playoff game for example. Cody Ford got penalized (and later fined!) for something ticky-tack. Later the league admitted it was in error and Ford had done nothing wrong. In that same game there were a number of blatant penalties by the Texans which were not called.

5 hours ago, Ann said:

New "taunting" rule... :classic_dry:

Instead of messing with taunting rules to manufacture reasons to throw unnecessary flags, maybe the NFL should focus on getting the fundamentals of officiating right? Or is that just crazy talk?

• Like 2

No Fun League

The NFL has reminded players, coaches and officials that taunting is a point of emphasis this season, which has led to some criticism that the NFL is the No Fun League. But Giants owner John Mara is standing by the taunting emphasis.

Mara, a member of the NFL’s Competition Committee, says there’s widespread agreement among the people who make the rules that a crackdown on taunting is appropriate.

“That’s something we discuss every year in the Competition Committee,” Mara said. “We get kind of sick and tired of the talking that does go on from time to time on the field. We tried to balance the sportsmanship with allowing the players to have fun and there’s always a fine line there, but none of us like to see that. It’s just a question of whether you can have rules that can be enforced and without taking the fun out of the game too, but nobody wants to see a player taunting another player. I know, I certainly don’t. I think the rest of the members of the Competition Committee feel the same way, too.”

</snip>

CarpetCrawler
15 minutes ago, Ann said:

No Fun League

The NFL has reminded players, coaches and officials that taunting is a point of emphasis this season, which has led to some criticism that the NFL is the No Fun League. But Giants owner John Mara is standing by the taunting emphasis.

Mara, a member of the NFL’s Competition Committee, says there’s widespread agreement among the people who make the rules that a crackdown on taunting is appropriate.

“That’s something we discuss every year in the Competition Committee,” Mara said. “We get kind of sick and tired of the talking that does go on from time to time on the field. We tried to balance the sportsmanship with allowing the players to have fun and there’s always a fine line there, but none of us like to see that. It’s just a question of whether you can have rules that can be enforced and without taking the fun out of the game too, but nobody wants to see a player taunting another player. I know, I certainly don’t. I think the rest of the members of the Competition Committee feel the same way, too.”

</snip>

Didn't they trial this last year against the Bills only?  I remember a couple of very ticky tacky calls against us for stuff that other teams got away with regularly (and even in the same game). 

1 hour ago, Ann said:

No Fun League

</snip>

What? An old pasty rich white guy telling black kids how to behave? 

Funny how the players have no problem with that. 

• Wow 1

Beer__League__Hockey

Zebras are the worst, every sport.  My loudmouth neighbor is a men's league ice hockey ref, total dingleberry.  The guy has one opinion and will tell you all about it, but I swear when it's my turn to talk he sings take me out to the ballgame in his head and does not hear a word.  He's in ref mode 24-7.  I've even said some goofy responses to his declarations about the weather and he doesn't even question it.

Joshy has it right - best tactic to befriend them, offer them a beer.  Just as long as it's a Labatt's.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GG1 said:

What? An old pasty rich white guy telling black kids how to behave? 

Funny how the players have no problem with that. 

The players are very well paid, typically getting 20 - 200x what they would be receiving had they not been talented enough to make it in the NFL. Most people who collect paychecks have someone telling them what to do, and it’s not obvious why they should be an exception to that rule.

That said . . . it’s better for the sport when the officials get the fundamentals of officiating right. That has not been the case, and needs to be fixed. It’s also better for the sport when the players are allowed to have some fun. 

19 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

The players are very well paid, typically getting 20 - 200x what they would be receiving had they not been talented enough to make it in the NFL. Most people who collect paychecks have someone telling them what to do, and it’s not obvious why they should be an exception to that rule.

That said . . . it’s better for the sport when the officials get the fundamentals of officiating right. That has not been the case, and needs to be fixed. It’s also better for the sport when the players are allowed to have some fun. 

It's not about the officiating.

It's about the league that's been hitting everyone over the head for the last year and the coming year about mythical mistreatment of black men by parochial old white guys.  Now that the prototypical old parochial rich white guy says that the league is going to stamp down the slightest on-field celebrations performed by mostly black men, the NFLPA is dead silent.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/19/2021 at 5:09 AM, GG1 said:

It's not about the officiating.

It's about the league that's been hitting everyone over the head for the last year and the coming year about mythical mistreatment of black men by parochial old white guys.  Now that the prototypical old parochial rich white guy says that the league is going to stamp down the slightest on-field celebrations performed by mostly black men, the NFLPA is dead silent.

This happens every year with some idiotic "point of emphasis", be it taunting, holding, PI, defining a catch, or head to head contact.  If you keep changing the standards for specific rules/infractions, than obviously you're going to increase the range of outcomes across more than a hundred individual officials.

Ban replay and the competition committee and officiating will improve dramatically.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

This happens every year with some idiotic "point of emphasis", be it taunting, holding, PI, defining a catch, or head to head contact.  If you keep changing the standards for specific rules/infractions, than obviously you're going to increase the range of outcomes across more than a hundred individual officials.

Ban replay and the competition committee and officiating will improve dramatically.

without replay- how will the league be able to dictate outcomes from NY on a game by game basis?

with in game betting, time is of the essence to determine the "proper" outcome

• Angry 1