Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm at the point where I'm ready to just walk away from it.  There's literally nothing humans aren't willing to ruin because they can't help themselves.

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Pretty much already have.  Aside from the Bills, watched no football this weekend...and wasn't really paying attention to the Bills, either.

Every play I watch now, I find myself waiting for the flag.  The game's turned in to watching the officials with the players just there to enable them.

I'm kind of there too. I still watch when it's convenient, but it's more of a distraction or afterthought than a focus like it used to be. Even watching the Bills isn't that high of a priority.

I don't know how much of my waning interest is due to the over-officiating, but it certainly doesn't help. It seems like the game was more fun when they let them play.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ann said:

Here's the penalty:

To me what he did is pretty much the definition of taunting.  Players have been told again and again they will flag this so no sympathy from me on the call.

It’s the rule is idiotic, not the call.

The finger should be pointed at the Competition Committee, not the zebras.  The arbitrary crap we see on the field is the easily predictable outcome of the league constantly changing the rules.

Fixing officiating is easy.  Outlaw:

1) replay

2) the phrase ‘point of emphasis’

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

To me what he did is pretty much the definition of taunting.  Players have been told again and again they will flag this so no sympathy from me on the call.

It’s the rule is idiotic, not the call.

The finger should be pointed at the Competition Committee, not the zebras.  The arbitrary crap we see on the field is the easily predictable outcome of the league constantly changing the rules.

Fixing officiating is easy.  Outlaw:

1) replay

2) the phrase ‘point of emphasis’

The taunting rule was put into place because nfl players went way overboard on every single play celebrating like they just won tbe super bowl for getting a first down or finishing a tackle.

If they players had any sense, the rule wouldn’t have been required.  Now thé referees don’t really know how to call these penalties and this is the result.

• Like 2

I am with the camp that thinks the NFL should hire full time game officials, assuming the overabundance of rules and league game policy stays as is. 

Some officials are just terrible at their job, while a lot of blown, missed, and bad calls are the result of too many rules.  The game has become too technical which doesn't mesh with a fast, physical sport, IMO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Meazza said:

The taunting rule was put into place because nfl players went way overboard on every single play celebrating like they just won tbe super bowl for getting a first down or finishing a tackle.

If they players had any sense, the rule wouldn’t have been required.  Now thé referees don’t really know how to call these penalties and this is the result.

If all they were worried about was excessive celebrations on average plays, they could shorten the play clock. Guys wouldn’t do all that celebration if they had to hustle to line up for the next play. I think the NFL wanted to cut down specifically on unsportsmanlike displays towards opponents to make the game seem more family friendly, but I agree that now the officials don’t know how to make these calls.

Buffalo Timmy

I need to add that the NFL can fix it simply by changing the structure of officiating. They have three guys in the booth who sole job is to call what is truly black and white, the safety issues, feet in bounds, off sides, basically things that are not arguable. The 4 remaining officials on field have specific jobs like pass interference and holding that require a little judgement. If officials have less things to call they will do better.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, Core Four said:

I am with the camp that thinks the NFL should hire full time game officials, assuming the overabundance of rules and league game policy stays as is. 

Some officials are just terrible at their job, while a lot of blown, missed, and bad calls are the result of too many rules.  The game has become too technical which doesn't mesh with a fast, physical sport, IMO.

far easier to dictate game outcomes with a lot of murky rules

you can bet these upsets are all a coincidence

officiating and the league's preference for parity having nothing to do the hugely unexpected outcomes

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/12/underdogs-of-more-than-7-points-are-4-1-outright-in-weeks-9-10/

Underdogs of more than seven points have gone 4-1 in Week Nine and Week 10. Before Week Nine, underdogs of more than seven points were 1-26 this season.

The four big recent upsets:

• The Dolphins beat the Ravens 22-10 as 7.5-point underdogs.
  • The Broncos beat the Cowboys 30-16 as 10-point underdogs.
  • The Jaguars beat the Bills 9-6 as 14.5-point underdogs.
  • The Titans beat the Rams 28-16 as 7.5-point underdogs.

You don't say....

They fined him, too!?

The NFL is standing behind Monday night's controversial taunting call against Bears linebacker Cassius Marsh, affirming it Friday with a fine.

But privately, members of the NFL's officiating department who reviewed the game acknowledged that referee Tony Corrente and his crew erred on at least three separate critical calls and non-calls that went against Chicago in that 29-27 loss -- including a low block penalty on the Bears that nullified a Justin Fields touchdown pass, sources familiar with the league's thinking said.

</snip>

My favorite call was in the 2nd quarter on the naked boot leg when they called the RG for holding on a play where Josh was already 10 yards from the "hold" and running in the exact opposite direction.  That dude couldn't have made the play with a jet pack on.  Score at the time was 10-zip.

Coincidence?  I doubt it.

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

My favorite call was in the 2nd quarter on the naked boot leg when they called the RG for holding on a play where Josh was already 10 yards from the "hold" and running in the exact opposite direction.  That dude couldn't have made the play with a jet pack on.  Score at the time was 10-zip.

Coincidence?  I doubt it.

Even worse, the ref called the hold on 74, when the hold was on Dawkins who was even further from the play 🙂

• Facepalm 1