Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

😪

Longtime NFL official Carl Madsen dies at age 71

NFL replay official Carl Madsen died Sunday at the age of 71.

Madsen died while returning home from the Kansas City Chiefs-Tennessee Titans game.

"Carl Madsen was an NFL officiating fixture for more than two decades, first as a highly respected on-field official before transitioning to a replay role beginning in 2009," NFL senior VP of officiating training and development Walt Anderson said in a statement. "A terrific friend and colleague, Carl's love of football and dedication to officiating was ever-present, as he generously shared his time to mentor young officials at clinics across the country. A veteran of the Air Force, Carl had a tremendous spirit and will be greatly missed."

</snip>

• Sad 1

you've already seen the impact of officiating on the Bills to keep games close

I'm sure there will be no impact from officiating to "correct" the below problem

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/28/nfl-seeing-an-almost-unprecedented-number-of-blowouts/

A nearly unprecedented number of NFL games this season have not even been competitive.

The 2021 season has already had 21 games decided by 21 or more points. According to the Associated Press, that’s the second-most through seven weeks since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

The NFL has been promoting the large number of overtime games and fourth-quarter comebacks, and there have been a lot of those exciting endings. But there have also been a lot of games that made fans turn off the game early.

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, Ann said:

Ummm

Nope, the most ridiculous personal foul ever called is still Jerry Hughes getting called for patting his own teammate on the helmet.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 3

Buffalo Timmy

If the NFL wanted officiating to improve they would have to change the format of it and use booth officials in each stadium and simplify what officials are looking for on each play. The NFL is okay with it because it has not hurt the bottom line yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If the NFL wanted officiating to improve they would have to change the format of it and use booth officials in each stadium and simplify what officials are looking for on each play. The NFL is okay with it because it has not hurt the bottom line yet.

Hurt the bottom line? Shirley, you jest. The ability to selectively and arbitrarily enforce vaguely-defined rules allows them to manipulate games and increase drama. More dramatic games = more money.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Buffalo Timmy
15 hours ago, Koko said:

Hurt the bottom line? Shirley, you jest. The ability to selectively and arbitrarily enforce vaguely-defined rules allows them to manipulate games and increase drama. More dramatic games = more money.

I will state that I believe that this year the officials have been told to err on the side of keeping the game close. Though the Jets call this week did the opposite.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

The referees across the board are just regressing at an unprecedented rate. I don't know that I've ever seen it in such a horrid state.

Things I have never seen. Feel free to add to it:

1) A player not in the game get called for a penalty.

2) Not once but twice in the first 5 minutes they called the penalty on one side of the ball, stopped the game and switched the call.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Have seen these before, but how about calling illegal motion on 1 team when reacting to a lineman moving because the defender came through the neutral zone but ignoring motion on the other team at LEAST 3 times (in only 2 4th quarter posessions) including 1 play where 2 of the linemen were fully out of their stances & upright before the ball was snapped.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Have seen these before, but how about calling illegal motion on 1 team when reacting to a lineman moving because the defender came through the neutral zone but ignoring motion on the other team at LEAST 3 times (in only 2 4th quarter posessions) including 1 play where 2 of the linemen were fully out of their stances & upright before the ball was snapped.

Im still waiting to see the replay of that “false start”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Im still waiting to see the replay of that “false start”

I saw it.  Boettger had a slight twitch before the DL jumped.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Taro T said:

I've seen that go uncalled in every game I've watched, with every team I've seen this season.  False start calls are so inconsistent it's practically random at this point.

3 hours ago, GG1 said:

I saw it.  Boettger had a slight twitch before the DL jumped.

I might be blind or something but I don't see any movement before the defender enters the neutral zone.

It's also abundantly clear that Allen got him with the hard count. He wasn't reacting to Ike.

Edited by Boxcar
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I might be blind or something but I don't see any movement before the defender enters the neutral zone.

It's also abundantly clear that Allen got him with the hard count. He wasn't reacting to Ike.

Focus on the 0:02 time.  Boettger has a slight rocking motion that sets off the DL.