Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

Apologies if this was discussed earlier, but one new rule I saw during pre-season games that made me smile: if there are two fouls on the play, one from each team, but one is  a 5-yard penalty and the other is a 15-yard penalty, they no longer offset. The 15-yard penalty gets enforced.

I genuinely don't recall reading about this in the offseason, but it's a very welcome change.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Apologies if this was discussed earlier, but one new rule I saw during pre-season games that made me smile: if there are two fouls on the play, one from each team, but one is  a 5-yard penalty and the other is a 15-yard penalty, they no longer offset. The 15-yard penalty gets enforced.

I genuinely don't recall reading about this in the offseason, but it's a very welcome change.

That used to be a rule...and then they changed it to any/any became offsetting.  It's never made much sense to essentially "allow" an unsportsmanlike conduct or some other dirty play because the other team was offsides or something minimal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That used to be a rule...and then they changed it to any/any became offsetting.  It's never made much sense to essentially "allow" an unsportsmanlike conduct or some other dirty play because the other team was offsides or something minimal.

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you saying it's still any/any is offsetting? I could have sworn I saw it called differently in a preseason game.

But I drink a lot, so...

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Wow

snap.jpg.ecd8bee25a7432729f43e60aafd711db.jpg

So? That’s only five Chefs that are in violation of your silly “rule.” What about the other six that are lined up just fine? [tomahawkchoppernation]. 

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you saying it's still any/any is offsetting? I could have sworn I saw it called differently in a preseason game.

But I drink a lot, so...

No he is saying it was then wasnt and now is.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

So, did they go back to a 10 yard penalty offsets everything?  (Which was the old rule - only a 15 nullified a 5 and it didn't nullify a 10 but 10's and 5's offset just like 10's and 15's offset.)  Or does a 15 get enforced over a 5 or a 10 and if so, does a 10 get enforced over a 5?

On 9/8/2023 at 2:11 PM, Spartacus said:

he plays for the Jets in NYC

HQ trying to make the NYC market relevant 

so promote and protect its most marketable players

On 9/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, Nanker said:

Yes. The fix is in. Major market teams and SB Champions get a ticket to ride. 

I could have made this meme (I didn't)

sauce.jpg.74698fc3cb3c512babc6369b368f9232.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 1

17 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

No he is saying it was then wasnt and now is.

So it's not that it wasn't when it was, but that it is again after it was before it wasn't.

Got it. Thanks.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

So it's not that it wasn't when it was, but that it is again after it was before it wasn't.

Got it. Thanks.

Yes, because before it wasnt it was until it was again after it wasnt. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

The officiating was excellent in the Patriots vs Eagles game... Shawn Hochuli's crew

Interesting and unexpected.  Thought he and his crew would be replacing Jerome Boger and crew as the worst in the league now that Boger retired officially.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ann said:

Shawn Hochuli Crew

It’s Roughing the Audience. 15 minute foul on the flag thrower. He has to sit on the defender’s bench for 15 minutes with his flag stuffed in his mouth like a ball  gag. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 hours ago, Ann said:

Shawn Hochuli Crew

True.  The rules state that you can't fall on the QB.  

It's a bullshit rule, and I hate it.  But it's the rule.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

True.  The rules state that you can't fall on the QB.  

It's a bullshit rule, and I hate it.  But it's the rule.

Yeah, before watching the clip was expecting something far more overofficiated because it's Ed Hochuli's kid (a worthy successor to both his old man and Jerome Bulger); but technically as the rule is written, it's Roughing the QB.

• Like 2