Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Obituaries

B-Man

RIP: Sabine Schmitz, former racing driver and Top Gear presenter, dies aged 51.

Sabine Schmitz, the only female winner of the 24 Hours of Nürburgring, has died at the age of 51. The Top Gear presenter revealed last year that she had been dealing with a rare form of cancer since 2017.

The German race track released a statement paying tribute to the driver. “The Nürburgring has lost its most famous female racing driver. Sabine Schmitz passed away far too early after a long illness. We will miss her and her cheerful nature. Rest in peace Sabine!”

The Adenau-born Schmitz’s first triumph at the 24 Hours of Nürburgring came in 1996 with Johannes Scheid and Hans Widmann in the BMW M3. She won again the following year with Scheid, Hans-Jürgen Tiemann and Peter Zakowski.

Schmitz, who was widely known as “Queen of the Nürburgring”, later impressed with her own team Frikadelli Racing, which she had founded with her husband, Klaus Abbelen.

I loved her appearances on the Jeremy Clarkson-era Top Gear:

UPDATE (FROM GLENN): I love this video: “Mr. Slipstream, I am coming!”

God Bless you sir.

NASA engineer Glynn Lunney dead at 84. 

“He led the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle programs before retiring from the agency in 1985, then led human spaceflight activities in private industry with Rockwell International and, later, United Space Alliance until his retirement in 1995. Lunney received the Presidential Medal Freedom as part of the Apollo 13 Mission Operations Team in recognition of actions that made it possible to save three Apollo 13 astronauts aboard a spacecraft that became disabled on the way to the moon on a 1970 mission. Under Lunney’s guidance, the team worked with the astronauts to shut down the command module systems so that the lunar module could be used as a lifeboat for the crew during the journey home to Earth keeping the crew alive and safe while NASA’s teams developed longer-term plans for successful re-entry and splashdown.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, KD in CA said:

RIP Roger Mudd.   He was never the top dog, but one of those steady journalists I saw often enough as a kid that actually made me trust/believe what I was being told.  What a different age.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/09/business/roger-mudd-obit-trnd/index.html

I remember when he announced on CBS Evening News that he was a descendant of Dr. Mudd. It was on the day that Dr. Mudd was officially exonerated (or pardoned?) of that charge. It was a sweet moment for Roger.  

RochesterRob
16 hours ago, Nanker said:

I remember when he announced on CBS Evening News that he was a descendant of Dr. Mudd. It was on the day that Dr. Mudd was officially exonerated (or pardoned?) of that charge. It was a sweet moment for Roger.  

As long as he does not turn out to be an ancestor of Star Trek conman Harry Mudd.  

RochesterRob
23 hours ago, KD in CA said:

She was great.  Played two of my all time favorite TV matriarchs.  Will have to watch some Archer tonight in tribute.

RIP

I liked her turn as an older horny heiress on TBBT.

I know it’s for more famous ones, but I can’t help but share. My mom was up in Buffalo this week for her uncle who died last week, a few days short of 101. 

He and his wife were both Polish WWII vets, a generation were there are far too few left. The things they endured, it just goes to show you how out of touch so many people are today. 

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/buffalonews/name/stanislaw-markut-obituary?pid=198139893

• Cheers 5

CarpetCrawler
On 3/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, shrader said:

I know it’s for more famous ones, but I can’t help but share. My mom was up in Buffalo this week for her uncle who died last week, a few days short of 101. 

He and his wife were both Polish WWII vets, a generation were there are far too few left. The things they endured, it just goes to show you how out of touch so many people are today. 

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/buffalonews/name/stanislaw-markut-obituary?pid=198139893

I'd call that a life worthy of fame. 

• Like 2