Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

53 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Here's a somewhat more rational take.

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1362489127275425792

The older I get, the more I appreciate the second chances given to what is considered top tier talent.

Wentz was a shitshow this year. The dude was just horrible, missing obvious reads and throws. But the entire team was a shitshow, and the best thing that could happen for him would be to put him with the guy who was believed to have gotten the most out of him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

The older I get, the more I appreciate the second chances given to what is considered top tier talent.

Wentz was a shitshow this year. The dude was just horrible, missing obvious reads and throws. But the entire team was a shitshow, and the best thing that could happen for him would be to put him with the guy who was believed to have gotten the most out of him.

Getting back with Frank Reich concerns me more than just having a fresh start. I want this QB shuffle to find all the good ones landing in the NFC! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Koko said:

Eh, I can't say it doesn't make sense. Just get the cap pain over with in the reduced-cap year, and be ready to rock come 2022.

Yeah but what does that put their cap at, 151mm and change? Can they even field a full team for that? Lol.

47 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yeah but what does that put their cap at, 151mm and change? Can they even field a full team for that? Lol.

Probably not a competitive one. Thankfully they're in the NFC East, so being competitive isn't really necessary for success.

Ultimately, I think that it really depends on what their roster situation is now, and how much they can use the draft and dirt cheap FAs to fill in gaps. If they get through this upcoming season, they'll be in a far better cap situation for 2022, when the cap looks like it's going to be ridiculous.

• Haha 1

This is discussing a Jimmy G to the *Patriots possibility.

Why a Jimmy G trade would cost less than the Wentz trade

</snip>

I don't think the *Patriots will overpay for a quarterback just to give themselves a better shot with offensive weapons in free agency. I don't, for instance, see them overpaying to trade for a quarterback.

Which is why the Carson Wentz trade executed earlier this week is good news for the *Patriots. Two things I can tell you NFL sources relayed following the completion of the deal: 1) The Colts might've overpaid, and 2) if Jimmy Garoppolo is dealt, it shouldn't cost that much.

Why was it an overpay? Giving away a third and a future second (which can become a future first if Wentz plays 75 percent of the snaps or 70 percent of the snaps and Indy makes the playoffs) doesn't seem like much for a starting quarterback.

But, it was pointed out to me, Wentz still has a significant amount of guaranteed money on his contract headed to the Colts, and he's coming off a season in which he was arguably the worst starting quarterback in football. There's no guarantee Wentz regains his 2017 form -- when he was arguably a top-five quarterback -- any time soon.

The Colts also may have been bidding against themselves. If the Bears didn't make an offer for Wentz, as is the belief, Indy probably could've waited and paid less. The Eagles and Wentz had irreconcilable differences. Everyone knew a breakup was coming. Plus the Eagles had to deal him before paying him a $10 million roster bonus on March 19.

Philadelphia had almost no leverage. And yet they still acquired a possible first-round pick. That's significant.

</snip>

• Like 2

Short of a trade for Watson for which they don't have the draft capital (short of pulling a Mike Ditka for Rickey Williams trade), I don't see what else the Niners can do to improve over Jimmy G at QB.   

I think there's a bit of remorse they didn't go full bore for Marsha last year when they probably could have had him.

• Like 1

Just now, Ann said:

This is so wrong. He's got to go to NE to finish his tour of the AFCE.

What makes you think that Washington would be his final stop Ann ?

😇

#32Fitz

• Haha 1