Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

"...my parents never taught me to people disrespectful."

Nothing says "I genuinely am sorry" like an apology filled with incoherent phrases and misspelled words.

At least we know he likely wrote it. 

The sheer number of college graduates we get who can't type a cohesive email is staggering.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I doubt many people thought he could come back. There is more to this article, and it is pretty candid.

Alex Smith: My comeback 'definitely threw a wrench' in Washington's plan

Alex Smith still wants to continue his NFL career, but it sounds more and more like that might happen outside of Washington.

</snip>

"They never thought I was coming back," he said. "No one there. I did all my rehab outside of the building. They do ACLs and stuff like that. But walking in with what I had, it's like you got three eyes."

The normally politically correct Smith, who played in eight games, starting six, and won Comeback Player of the Year, said his return messed with the team's plan at quarterback.

</snip>

• Like 1

No Jimmy G to NE, I guess. If he's healthy 49ers keep him (smart), if he is not healthy, no one will want him.

49ers GM John Lynch confident in Jimmy Garoppolo as San Francisco's QB if healthy

</snip>

If that changes, though, the club expects those inquiries to evaporate with time. When asked if there was any doubt Jimmy Garoppolo would be San Francisco's starter if his health was guaranteed, general manager John Lynch was unequivocally convinced in his response.

"No," he said Wednesday, via fullpresscoverage.com. "Not at all. I really believe that."

</snip>

Marcus Mariota trade market has dried up significantly

</snip>

Las Vegas Raiders backup quarterback Marcus Mariota appeared headed toward being the latest to get traded this offseason. The Raiders needing to shed money due to a shrinking salary cap and his play in one appearance last year led to the belief that the former first-round quarterback could be traded for as a bridge starter.

Apparently, teams are now wary of giving up a draft pick for the potential starter's contract.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL NOW that the trade market has "dried up significantly" for Mariota due to the incentives in the QB's contract.

"A couple of days ago, it really seemed like Marcus Mariota was going to be on the move," Rapoport said. "I know teams were interested, were calling the Las Vegas Raiders about potentially acquiring Marcus Mariota. Things did get down the line a little bit. There is significant interest in teams trying to get Marcus Mariota ... but there is an issue. Take a look at his contract. He's due a little more than $10 million this year. If he's going to be a bridge starter, which would be the role he'd come in and play, that's not bad. That's actually not the issue.

"The issue is based on incentives. If he is the starter and ends up playing the entire season, he can make an additional $12 million, so more than $20 million for Marcus Mariota. Teams, as of right now, don't seem to think that's something that would be worth it, especially when you consider they'd also give up a draft pick to trade for him. That trade market has now dried up significantly."

</snip>

• Like 2

If Baker Mayfield gets $35M per year (average), what does Josh get!?

Defending Baker Mayfield: Why wouldn't the Cleveland Browns give him an extension?

In the wake of Jared Goff and Carson Wentz being dealt away from the teams that drafted them, the same phrase has begun to reverberate with regards to the Cleveland Browns and their quarterback, Baker Mayfield.

“Cautionary tales.”

</snip>

But going halfway and pushing off an extension invites downside, too. What if Mayfield is better in 2021? A potential extension would cost the Browns even more down the line, as Tim Hasselbeck noted on ESPN this week. That would only make it more difficult to get one done at all.

</snip>

To get a deal done with Mayfield this summer, the Browns probably will have to start in the neighborhood of $35 million over four years. That would make Mayfield one of the five highest-paid quarterbacks in the league, pending what happens with Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, who also are extension eligible.

But others down the line, like Mayfield’s former Oklahoma teammate Kyler Murray, are going to continue to reset the quarterback market next offseason. What might seem expensive now could quickly become a bargain, especially as the league negotiates new rights deals.

</snip>

Franchise quarterbacks are incredibly hard to find, and it's virtually impossible to win without one, as Cleveland has had to painfully learn over the years. Now is not the time to get cute, dodge about or worry why it might go wrong, just because it did in Philly or L.A.

The Browns appear -- finally -- to have their franchise quarterback. Acting otherwise could prove to be a cautionary tale of its own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Well, Peyton stopped earning in 2015. Eli was still cashing checks till 2019. Bigger salary cap perhaps. Peyton played for 17 years, Eli for 15. 

Looks like the difference in career earnings stems from 2005.

Peyton made $665,000

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/peyton-manning-5028/cash-earnings/

Eli made $9,305,000

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/cash-earnings/