Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

As Eagles dawdle on Carson Wentz trade, Bears grow impatient

The Eagles are remaining firm on their asking price for Carson Wentz, and the trade market has cooled.

A person with knowledge of the Eagles’ negotiations -- who was granted anonymity so he could speak freely on an impending trade -- told NJ Advance Media the potential trade partners have remained “disciplined” in negotiations, unwilling to meet the Eagles’ demands.

“They don’t want to give (Wentz) up for much less than (the Matthew Stafford haul),” another person with knowledge of the negotiations told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

</snip>

The Indianapolis Colts have asked for additional compensation -- a player, players or picks -- along with Wentz in order to get close to the Eagles’ demands, according to a third person with knowledge of negotiations, who also was granted anonymity. That person said another undisclosed Eagles player has been brought up in discussions.

</snip>

So Jordan Palmer works with Trevor Lawrence, too.  

Jordan Palmer: Trevor Lawrence throwing today because 'he has nothing to hide'

</snip>

Ex-NFL QB Jordan Palmer, who is working with Lawrence, told Albert Breer of SI.com the best prospect since Andrew Luck is throwing simply because he loves competing.

"Reason he wants to throw is he loves ball and he has nothing to hide," said Palmer, who'll run the Pro Day session. "'They want me to throw, I'll throw. Yeah, I'll throw for everybody. Sounds great.' For him, he could sit there and say, 'I'm not doing it and here's why.' And you gotta understand where I'm coming from too, my brother [Carson] was the surefire No. 1 pick, no doubt, he played in the Senior Bowl and threw at the combine, because, 'Give me a ball. I'd love to compete.' I have nothing to hide. I love throwing.

</snip> 

• Like 3

From Albert Breer's (very long) column this morning. There is more under the 10 takeaways in QBs.

</snip>

1) I think the Eagles have to trade Carson Wentz soon. The market’s not strong for Wentz for a variety of reasons. The contract (a team trading for him is locked in for two years, at $47.4 million) is one issue. The tape, which was horrific last year, is another. A third less-talked-about problem is the growing reputation Wentz has of not reacting well to hard coaching. All of which is why the Eagles’ initial asking price—the return the Lions got for Matthew Stafford—was enough of a non-starter for some teams to drop out of the running altogether. Ultimately, I think GM Howie Roseman’s goal, in asking for so much, was to come away with a 1 and something else. At this point, I don’t think he gets a first-rounder for Wentz at all, without some strings (maybe a salary dump or picks going back) attached. Which, if you look at what we were saying when Wentz was benched in December, isn’t all that surprising. This is just who Wentz is as a quarterback right now. And the proof is there in that the teams that know him best, the Bears (John DeFilippo) and Colts (Frank Reich, Press Taylor, Mike Groh) haven’t put together a strong enough offer to get Philly to jump. My guess is he lands in Chicago, and that’d be good for him. DeFilippo played the bad cop in Philly for Wentz over the quarterback’s first two years in the league, and going there would force Wentz to confront the lingering hard-coaching question head on. (Indy would be good for him, too, for a lot of obvious reasons.)

2) I don’t think the Raiders are trading Derek Carr. Like we said last week, that’s the impression that teams who’ve inquired have come away with as well. And the word I’ve gotten from people in Vegas too. I do say that with a caveat—It’s possible that Jon Gruden becomes smitten with a quarterback in the pre-draft run-up, or that Watson becomes available, and Vegas decides to go all-in on him. But right now, given the Raiders’ cap situation (tight) and where they’re drafting (17th overall), the smart money has Carr playing a fourth season for Gruden. It’s also worth noting, while we’re here, that Carr has posted three 4,000-yard seasons and has improved his passer rating—which topped 100 the last two years—every year he’s played for Gruden. There’s no question that, at first, there was friction as a result of Gruden’s tough-love approach and propensity for constantly seeking a quarterback upgrade. But since, I think things have stabilized, which, to me, is an acknowledgment by the team, and the coach, that they’ve got a pretty decent situation as it is. And especially now, with Carr under contract over the next two years for a total of less than $40 million. (As for Marcus Mariota, the Raiders’ lines are open for calls.)

</snip>

5) My guess is that Sam Darnold’s name will continue to come up. We told you last week four teams called the Jets, in the aftermath of the Stafford trade, to inquire on Sam Darnold’s availability. More have called since, I’m told, and the answer those teams got was the same that the ones calling before got—Check back with us soon. Right now, the Jets coaching staff is working through its tape evaluation of the draft-eligible quarterbacks, which is a huge piece to all of his. The job, for the Jets right now, is to compare and contrast what it has in Darnold (at 23, with a year plus an option year left on his contract) to what Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance (coming on new/affordable rookie deals) could be for them. There are a lot of teams that would be obvious potential landing spots. Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Chicago and San Francisco make sense, pending what happens with Wentz, and the scarcity of available names (and I mean actually available, not just potentially available) right now could drive Darnold’s value up. Either way, it’s a good spot for Jets GM Joe Douglas and new coach Robert Saleh to be in.

</snip>

• Like 1

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read that isn't from the Babylon Bee.

Three ones and McCaffrey? Yeah...not even BoB makes that deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read that isn't from the Babylon Bee.

Three ones and McCaffrey? Yeah...not even BoB makes that deal.

How about 3 1sts, McCaffrey, and he brings along Olivia Culpo?

olivia-culpo-build-speaker-series-in-nyc

40 minutes ago, Koko said:

How about 3 1sts, McCaffrey, and he brings along Olivia Culpo?

olivia-culpo-build-speaker-series-in-nyc

I've reached the age where I look at photos of hot chicks I'll never get and calmly remind myself the old adage that somewhere is someone who is sick of her shit.

Not to mention, do you have any idea how long you'd have to wait for her to be ready to go out? That mask alone is two hours of work.