Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Hubby and I were talking about this recently. We can’t name a “movie star”  that drives people to the box office under 40.

He did take a swipe at writers. Is it the writers, or what the studios want from you, @Deranged Rhino?

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, snafu said:

Snow White, a dwarf, and the Village People.

56 minutes ago, Foxx said:

All walk into a bar...

Already a better plot than the actual film I'm guessing... 

• Haha 4

Deranged Rhino
38 minutes ago, Ann said:

Hubby and I were talking about this recently. We can’t name a “movie star”  that drives people to the box office under 40.

He did take a swipe at writers. Is it the writers, or what the studios want from you, @Deranged Rhino?

It's honestly probably a bit of both. There are plenty of writers who have no business (imo) having the clout and "success" they've had. And there are plenty more who are very talented but have had to play the game just to keep the paychecks coming. 

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Is that the chick that plays Harley Quinn?  If so that Barbie movie might just be so epically bad it's actually almost good.

It is.  And Ryan Gosling as Ken, I believe.

For the myriad flaws I expect in that movie, they nailed the casting.

Which, now that I think of it, will probably trigger a shitload of complaints that they didn't cast Lizzo as Barbie, because casting a living Barbie doll as Barbie is racist.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ann said:

Bob Iger Shifts From Building an Empire to a Disney Yard Sale

Netflix just had its best month in years and Disney is looking to sell its TV assets. What does that mean for the future of Hollywood?

</snip>

That could be due to Netflix leveraging a lot of foreign production 

I can't wait for the last season of Ragnarok. 

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Bob Iger Shifts From Building an Empire to a Disney Yard Sale

Netflix just had its best month in years and Disney is looking to sell its TV assets. What does that mean for the future of Hollywood?

</snip>

While we will get to the major Disney news in a minute, let’s look ahead to a big week for Netflix 

Not quite.  Netflix hit its lowest price for the week today.  

image.thumb.png.606943154b540cad306a5fdc51592959.png

• Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino

For those who like to know how the sausage gets made: This is what's become the norm for animation writers (and why the animation guild is likely to strike in two years) and now WGA writers are starting to see it happen to them... 

This is a verified story from personal experience. 

To put this in perspective - a full writing staff (4-8 writers) would normally get 3-6 months to do that all that work (assuming 10 episodes). And even then, it would be "tight" deadline wise.

The idea that you can bring in free lancers to do months' worth of work in a day or two only works if you are willing to give up quality in favor of speed. And even then, it really doesn't work. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Cheers 5

Deranged Rhino

Saw Mission Impossible last night - as expected, was a lot of fun. Probably could have trimmed 20 minutes without noticing, but still delivered. It did feel like a film from the mid 2010s when Hollywood was creating films more for the international market than domestic in the sense that there would be 5-10 minutes of intense dialogue, followed by 20 minutes of little to no dialogue and tons of action. 

As good as Cruise is in the film, it's stolen by Haley Atwell and Esai Morales (and Mantis from Guardians). 

Caught My Attention Grace GIF - Caught my attention Grace Hayley atwell -  Discover & Share GIFs

Esai Morales Explains Why His Villain Is "Ferocious" In 'Mission: Impossible  - Dead Reckoning Part One' - Bounding Into Comics

• Like 3

Deranged Rhino

Strike update: 

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/wga-sag-aftra-no-negotiations-amptp-1235680241/

Two Hollywood Strikes and No Talks in Sight: ‘The Plan Is for Them to Call Us,’ Says WGA Leader

Two unions are on strike and there are no plans to restart negotiations with either of them, leaving Hollywood in limbo for the foreseeable future.

The Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA have both said they are open to talking, but that the studios refuse to engage on their core issues.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, meanwhile, has said that the unions have been unwilling to drop items that are non-starters, like a demand for a share of streaming revenue and a minimum staffing level for TV writers.

The result is a double stalemate — with everyone waiting for other side to blink.

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Strike update: 

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/wga-sag-aftra-no-negotiations-amptp-1235680241/

Two Hollywood Strikes and No Talks in Sight: ‘The Plan Is for Them to Call Us,’ Says WGA Leader

Two unions are on strike and there are no plans to restart negotiations with either of them, leaving Hollywood in limbo for the foreseeable future.

The Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA have both said they are open to talking, but that the studios refuse to engage on their core issues.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, meanwhile, has said that the unions have been unwilling to drop items that are non-starters, like a demand for a share of streaming revenue and a minimum staffing level for TV writers.

The result is a double stalemate — with everyone waiting for other side to blink.

Studios on one side, talent on the other.  It's obvious what's happening.

This is a proxy for the Alien Adrenochrome Wars.  

• Haha 2