Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Draft 2021

Ann

On 4/26/2021 at 3:50 PM, Dubs part Dub said:

Trading up for an RB would make me really sad. 

That would create a major flashback to the horrors of so many draught era drafts.

2021 NFL Draft: Day 1 quick-snap grades for all 32 teams

</snip>

Since no one can see into the future, these 2021 NFL Draft quick-snap grades only partially reflect how I expect a player's career to progress. These grades are, however, an evaluation of the process each team undertook to select the players they did. The grade also is an indication of whether I think a prospect's selection is of appropriate value given his college film and athleticism.

The reason these snap grades matter is that they give a real-time evaluation of the process. If a prospect is considered a great pick the day of the draft, but doesn't work out in the long run, that's a completely different evaluation of his new team's decision than identifying a player who was considered a reach at the time he was picked. Waiting three years to grade these picks leads to revisionist history, not an accurate evaluation of a decision that was based on what was known when the player was selected.

</snip>

bils.JPG.06253bb09f7456a6828af145a4b86808.JPG

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2021 NFL Draft: 5 Best Value Picks, Round 1

</snip>

bills..JPG.b0b79be5efc701d960ddf43365caa893.JPG

The Bills brilliantly add versatility and youth at a true value with this pick, considering Rousseau was No. 16 on my board. Tracking his 2019 data (he opted out in 2020) shows he lined up all over the defensive front and was productive in each spot. From the first game to his last that season, Rousseau steadily improved his average time to pressure (which was adjusted for alignment). Rousseau checks both the "ideal" boxes of measurement for body mechanics at the position (low center of gravity, excellent body control). His résumé also includes playing safety, as well as offense, in high school, which suggests we haven't even seen what his development ceiling looks like. Defensive-minded Sean McDermott likely understands this puzzle piece extremely well, and the fit is a great predictor of January football in Buffalo. Rousseau adds 0.65 wins to the 2021 Bills.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

ESPN+ (paid site)

NFL draft grades: Mel Kiper picks steals, sleepers and favorite 2021 classes from all 32 teams

Bills: B-

The two spots I thought the Bills could upgrade in Round 1 were at running back and edge rusher. Their top defensive ends are all over the age of 30, and I still think 2020 second-round pick AJ Epenesa could end up at tackle. So I wasn't surprised to see them go with Gregory Rousseau (30), even though I thought his pro day testing numbers might see him drop to the second round. At 6-foot-7 and 270 pounds, Rousseau had 15.5 sacks in 2019, but some of those sacks were due to great coverage, and he doesn't have an elite get-off at the snap. Rousseau, who opted out of last season, has a ways to go to be a complete player.

I was surprised to see Buffalo go right back to the edge, taking Carlos Basham Jr. (61) in Round 2. This is more of a pick about taking the best available prospect, in my opinion, and he is a more polished pass-rusher than Rousseau. The Bills had 16 sacks when they used a standard pass rush last season, which ranked 25th in the NFL, and so Rousseau and Basham will help them get younger.

Spencer Brown (93) is a giant of a man who is still raw. He made 32 starts at right tackle for Northern Iowa, but the NFL is a different speed. Damar Hamlin (212) is a good safety and potential long-term starter if he keeps developing.

This is a class of boom-or-bust guys at the top, though, with Rousseau, Brown and Basham all having a ways to go to reach their ceiling. And the lack of a running back is a head-scratcher. I thought that was a definite Day 2 or Day 3 priority.

• Like 1