Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Foxx

Arm of Harm
On 7/22/2021 at 6:28 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I desperately want this kid to take a giant leap on the DLine...just seems like a great dude.  He's been REALLY good on special teams.

Your post made me sad.

A few months ago the Bills asked Addison to take a small pay cut. There is a gentleman's agreement that if a player voluntarily accepts a pay cut, his roster spot for the upcoming season is guaranteed. Addison accepted the pay cut, and will now be consuming a DE roster spot.

Even with the pay cut Addison is overpaid. He is aging. He had just 4.5 sacks last year. He had a disappointing PFF grade. The Bills used their first two picks on DEs, and also signed Obada. Obada had 5.5 sacks last season as a relatively young, inexperienced player (international program).

Whose roster spot will Addison be taking? Will it be Daryl Johnson's? Obada's? Someone else's? No matter how you answer that question, I really, really wish Beane had cut Addison outright instead of giving him the small pay cut. The Bills simply have too many young, promising players at DE to justify holding onto an aging, overpaid, under-performing guy like Addison.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Your post made me sad.

A few months ago the Bills asked Addison to take a small pay cut. There is a gentleman's agreement that if a player voluntarily accepts a pay cut, his roster spot for the upcoming season is guaranteed. Addison accepted the pay cut, and will now be consuming a DE roster spot.

Even with the pay cut Addison is overpaid. He is aging. He had just 4.5 sacks last year. He had a disappointing PFF grade. The Bills used their first two picks on DEs, and also signed Obada. Obada had 5.5 sacks last season as a relatively young, inexperienced player (international program).

Whose roster spot will Addison be taking? Will it be Daryl Johnson's? Obada's? Someone else's? No matter how you answer that question, I really, really wish Beane had cut Addison outright instead of giving him the small pay cut. The Bills simply have too many young, promising players at DE to justify holding onto an aging, overpaid, under-performing guy like Addison.

Camp and preseason games will decide his fate.  The contract redo was well before Beane took 2 DEs at 1-2.  At this point, Addison is there for the vet presence, and I think his only shot at sticking is if Bills decide that a few of the new guys can flip inside for the rush, which would free them to jettison Butler or Phillips.  Butler is in the same boat as Addison, and I thought he played worse than Addison last year.  I was more surprised he was kept.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Camp and preseason games will decide his fate.  The contract redo was well before Beane took 2 DEs at 1-2.  At this point, Addison is there for the vet presence, and I think his only shot at sticking is if Bills decide that a few of the new guys can flip inside for the rush, which would free them to jettison Butler or Phillips.  Butler is in the same boat as Addison, and I thought he played worse than Addison last year.  I was more surprised he was kept.

From camp reports, it would appear that Zimmer has the inside track to be the 3rd DT, leaving Phillips and Butler on the outside looking in. If Basham and/or Rousseau display an ability to play DT on occasion like they are hoping, I think possibly Phillips, Butler and Addison's days are numbered. Johnson holds the edge pretty well.

Epenesa is probably a hybrid LB/DE and will also compete for playing time along the line.

Nice rotation we have shaping up.

• Like 3

Arm of Harm
16 hours ago, GG1 said:

Camp and preseason games will decide his fate.  The contract redo was well before Beane took 2 DEs at 1-2.

For your post to be correct, one of the following needs to be true:

1) Beane didn't pledge himself to keeping Addison on the roster in exchange for taking the pay cut.

2) Beane did pledge himself to keeping Addison, but is now willing to break that pledge due to changing circumstances.

I'd be thrilled if 1) was the case. Very very happy. If we're looking at 2), then that would most likely mean the Bills would have the chance of using that roster spot on a younger, better, more promising player than Addison. But it would come at a price. If Beane breaks his word to Addison in this instance, players will be less likely to trust him the next time he makes a promise. I'd be a lot less happy with 2) than with 1).

Of course, my earlier post was based on my belief in 3), that Beane had pledged himself to keeping Addison, and would keep that pledge even if it meant cutting a younger, better player to make room for Addison. I guess we'll see how this all plays out. If Addison isn't on the roster on opening day, then we'll know that 3) was incorrect.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
3 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

For your post to be correct, one of the following needs to be true:

1) Beane didn't pledge himself to keeping Addison on the roster in exchange for taking the pay cut.

2) Beane did pledge himself to keeping Addison, but is now willing to break that pledge due to changing circumstances.

I'd be thrilled if 1) was the case. Very very happy. If we're looking at 2), then that would most likely mean the Bills would have the chance of using that roster spot on a younger, better, more promising player than Addison. But it would come at a price. If Beane breaks his word to Addison in this instance, players will be less likely to trust him the next time he makes a promise. I'd be a lot less happy with 2) than with 1).

Of course, my earlier post was based on my belief in 3), that Beane had pledged himself to keeping Addison, and would keep that pledge even if it meant cutting a younger, better player to make room for Addison. I guess we'll see how this all plays out. If Addison isn't on the roster on opening day, then we'll know that 3) was incorrect.

I think the first major cut will tell the entire story.  If Addison is cut, it's because it'll give him the best chance to get on another roster.  If he's not...he's likely staying.

• Like 1

Arm of Harm
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think the first major cut will tell the entire story.  If Addison is cut, it's because it'll give him the best chance to get on another roster.  If he's not...he's likely staying.

You are probably right.

After last season, one could look at Addison's sack numbers, his overall production, his salary, and his age, and reach the (fairly obvious) conclusion that he needed to be cut. So why didn't McDermott and Beane cut him?

Back when deciding whether to sign Addison in the first place, McDermott and Beane undoubtedly watched a lot of his film from his days as a Panther. Based on that film study, they create an image in their heads of who Addison is. Then he comes to the Bills, and doesn't play anywhere near the level one would expect from the image McDermott and Beane may have had of him. So . . . are McDermott and Beane seeing Addison as he was last year? Or are they seeing him as he was a few years ago?

If they're seeing him as he was a couple years ago, that might explain why they've been more pro-Addison than his production as a Bill could possibly warrant.

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

You are probably right.

After last season, one could look at Addison's sack numbers, his overall production, his salary, and his age, and reach the (fairly obvious) conclusion that he needed to be cut. So why didn't McDermott and Beane cut him?

Back when deciding whether to sign Addison in the first place, McDermott and Beane undoubtedly watched a lot of his film from his days as a Panther. Based on that film study, they create an image in their heads of who Addison is. Then he comes to the Bills, and doesn't play anywhere near the level one would expect from the image McDermott and Beane may have had of him. So . . . are McDermott and Beane seeing Addison as he was last year? Or are they seeing him as he was a few years ago?

If they're seeing him as he was a couple years ago, that might explain why they've been more pro-Addison than his production as a Bill could possibly warrant.

I don't see Beane as jaded, so there's likely some information on his health that we're not privy to that made BB/SM decide to dance for at least one more round.

I also believe that he was covering his ass by not creating a hole until he had a better solution.  That's been his mantra since he completed the PURGE.  😄

Cover 1 had a nice article out yesterday on our top two prized picks.

BOOGIE BASHAM, GREG ROUSSEAU’S ‘GODZILLA’-LIKE TRAITS HAVE BILLS SWOONING

... On Friday, defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier raved about the two rookies and their high capacity for learning and absorbing the playbook through just a handful of practices. 

“We’ve really been impressed with their attitude and work ethic,” said Frazier. “They’re really smart guys. We were concerned early on about how much we could throw at them when it comes to the volume of the defense, but they’ve both handled it extremely well. It’s not too big for them.”

Following Tuesday’s practice, Addison – who’s embraced the role of a veteran leader that Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa can look to for guidance – spoke in awe about his new teammates while breaking down their traits. 

“Boogie, he’s got a bigger frame. Really powerful, but he runs like a DE. So speed to power, using his hands, he’s going to dominate whoever’s in front of him every time,” Addison told reporters. “And Greg – long guy. Amazon, Godzilla. Gotta look up to him all the time, when I’m talking to him I gotta look up at him and I’m like, Dang, bro, you a big guy! So, looking at him, seeing how he’s setting the edge and rushing and using all of his length. It’s tremendous. He’s coming off the ball just punching, like, before the (offensive lineman) is getting out of his stance. (I tell him) You’ve got long arms, you’ve got to use those to your advantage. But those guys are very coachable. They’re going to be a bitch in this league.” ...

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 8/4/2021 at 3:46 PM, Arm of Harm said:

Your post made me sad.

Perhaps the pay cut was you need to go or take a reduction. We want you to be able to compete but we need space. You know if he gets cut he gets a team quick. Win win.  BTW, Welcome aboard the board!

• Like 1

Arm of Harm
16 hours ago, Foxx said:

Cover 1 had a nice article out yesterday on our top two prized picks.

BOOGIE BASHAM, GREG ROUSSEAU’S ‘GODZILLA’-LIKE TRAITS HAVE BILLS SWOONING

... On Friday, defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier raved about the two rookies and their high capacity for learning and absorbing the playbook through just a handful of practices. 

“We’ve really been impressed with their attitude and work ethic,” said Frazier. “They’re really smart guys. We were concerned early on about how much we could throw at them when it comes to the volume of the defense, but they’ve both handled it extremely well. It’s not too big for them.”

Following Tuesday’s practice, Addison – who’s embraced the role of a veteran leader that Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa can look to for guidance – spoke in awe about his new teammates while breaking down their traits. 

“Boogie, he’s got a bigger frame. Really powerful, but he runs like a DE. So speed to power, using his hands, he’s going to dominate whoever’s in front of him every time,” Addison told reporters. “And Greg – long guy. Amazon, Godzilla. Gotta look up to him all the time, when I’m talking to him I gotta look up at him and I’m like, Dang, bro, you a big guy! So, looking at him, seeing how he’s setting the edge and rushing and using all of his length. It’s tremendous. He’s coming off the ball just punching, like, before the (offensive lineman) is getting out of his stance. (I tell him) You’ve got long arms, you’ve got to use those to your advantage. But those guys are very coachable. They’re going to be a bitch in this league.” ...

Good article, and I'm glad that early indications from Basham and Rousseau are very positive. That said . . . someone might want to inform Addison that those two players are not female? He refers to both of them as being the b-word, and to Rousseau as an "Amazon." In mythology, Amazons were very proficient female warriors.

• Haha 1

The DL has been the most interesting but least satisfying story of the off-season. However it shakes out we're going to lose players that have substantial value. I know it's a good problem to have, but I still hate it. I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to make the cuts.

• Like 1

Is it Friday yet? Is it Friday yet?

Man, I know the top guys and our two top picks will probably play sparingly but I can't wait to see our DL in action.

• Like 3

A decent article that touches on more than just the DL.

Bills’ Star Lotulelei explosive in practice on Day 10 of training camp; Efe Obada continues sack party (8 observations)

... Lotulelei had a few plays that just popped. The most impressive one came when he faced one of the usual double teams he seeks out. Cody Ford picked him up first and immediately had to pass him off to his left to Ryan Bates because of Lotulelei’s explosion off the line. Bates tried his best but Lotulelei blew past him, flashing his unique blend of power and quickness all on one play.

Bills quarterback Josh Allen is having an elite camp so it’s no surprise that the ball was gone by the time Lotulelei got to him. Allen completed it short but Lotulelei’s burst and multiple wins on the play stood out. ...

... It was another standout day for the former Carolina Panther, who has made a habit of disrupting things in the Bills offensive backfield throughout camp

Obada was quiet early on in the team portion at the start of practice. Spencer Brown had a nice blocking rep against him that was certainly noteworthy. But in the final team portions, Obada came alive. ...

• Like 1

Efe Obada signed with the #Bills in April and a big reason he came to Buffalo was to be reunited with former Panthers defensive line coach/defensive coordinator, Eric Washington.

If I'm a former Panther, and if I want to be reunited with anyone I remember from the organization--teammate, coach, front office person, whoever--I know exactly which team I'm signing with!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1