Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Just now, SquirminThurman said:

This is exactly why you go out and get guys like Poona Ford, keep Ed Oliver etc. They keep the OL busy in very different ways, and keep the 2 LBs clean to make plays.

Since the arrival of D. Jones, the interior of the defensive line hasn't been the problem (when they've been healthy) but the MLBer has regularly been the weak link, especially against the run.  It's always been funny to me that Milano constantly makes really obvious good plays but the guy next to him almost never did.  I would struggle to come up with 10 top-level plays from Onalim's career, while it would be impossible to narrow down Milano's list.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 4
  • FANtastic 2

SquirminThurman
3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's going to be interesting to watch how we handle KC with the current defense/LBers.

Agree with the post. Anyone with eyeballs could see Edmunds value in coverage was grossly overstated.

The stats show it too, look at Profootball Reference and look at Edmunds vs the pass. Dreadful for 3 of 5 years. Middling the others.

• Cheers 6

SquirminThurman
Just now, Alaska Darin said:

Since the arrival of D. Jones, the interior of the defensive line hasn't been the problem (when they've been healthy) but the MLBer has regularly been the weak link, especially against the run.  It's always been funny to me that Milano constantly makes really obvious good plays but the guy next to him almost never did.  I would struggle to come up with 10 top-level plays from Onalim's career, while it would be impossible to narrow down Milano's list.

Yeah I knew I was missing an obvious link. But I've said it in the past. DaQuan Jones has been everything they wanted Star L. to be and more. He is the lynchpin to the defense. He was out versus the Bengals....

We all know how that went. Ford is a value version of Jones, so they added the same type as depth. A really good move.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 4

SquirminThurman
9 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's the direction the game has been going.  We're a little late to the party but it looks like we're finally there and dressed to the nines.

Especially when you run a nickle as your base defense.

Rapp is interesting at S because he is a J Adams type of S. A hybrid of LB and S. He could never make the play Hyde did in the playoffs, but he is what the Bills wanted S Neal to be.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 3

SquirminThurman
On 9/19/2023 at 7:35 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

As I predicted, Onalim is doing better in a 4-3 with less responsibility.  He's not as late to the plays as he was in Buffalo.

We agree. I knew Edmunds would be a better MLB in a traditional 4-3. I posted that here. He still misses gaps/ stuffs etc.

He will have a solid career in the NFL as a traditional 4-3 MLB. He isn't a fit for the Bills Nickel., and he just doesn't 'have it' to be a play maker at MLB.

I wish him well, like Moss who is doing well in Indy.

Singletary/ Moss/ Edmunds/ Wallace all real good guys and NFL players, but not what the Bills need. I root for them all when they don't play the Bills.

• Like 5
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ann said:

Terrel Bernard AFC defensive player of the week 

Love this for him (and us)...

Not since Hall of Famer Brian Urlacher in 2007 has a player recorded multiple sacks, an interception and a fumble recovery in a game before Bernard did so on Sunday. Bernard was all over the field and the box score in the Buffalo Bills' 37-3 throttling of the Washington Commanders. Bernard posted seven tackles, two sacks, a fumble recovery and an INT.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

If I'm not mistaken, Edmunds won the DPOW once, against the Texans.  He had six tackles and a pick in a 40-0 smashing.  It was pretty clearly a pedestrian week for defensive players because those stats don't move the needle at all compared to what Bernard did.

• Cheers 5

SquirminThurman
13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

It's only 4 games in and the combo of Milano and Bernard is really nice to have.

Bernard had a quiet week statistically, but he did have the big fumble recovery in the second quarter. I think that was the turning point in the game. Up 28-14 and shut the Dolphins down. Milano with the FF and Bernard with the FR. Exactly the combo effort from your LBs a defensive coach wants to see.

Edmunds had 0 Fumble recoveries in 5 seasons as the starting MLB with the Bills (0 with Chicago so far too). ZERO. How does a guy patrolling the middle of the field for 5 full seasons have 0 FR???? It boggles the mind.

• Like 2
  • I don't know 2
  • Applause 1

Alaska Darin

Meanwhile, over on the Bears' board:

"Coaches should bench Tremaine Edmunds from what I've seen. On that long rushing TD, I think the ball carrier ran right past Edmunds, and Edmunds barely raises an arm to stop him. I haven't seen one explosive play from Edmunds, it is truly baffling."

AD:  No it ain't.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 5
  • Cheers 1

SquirminThurman
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

"Coaches should bench Tremaine Edmunds from what I've seen. On that long rushing TD, I think the ball carrier ran right past Edmunds, and Edmunds barely raises an arm to stop him. I haven't seen one explosive play from Edmunds, it is truly baffling."

Keep waiting Bears fans....

A dude named Terrel Bernard has almost as many explosive plays in 4 games in season 2 as T Edmunds did in 5 years.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Alaska Darin

The biggest thing about Bernard is...when he makes a mistake he's going &#%$ing fast doing it.  There were a couple of plays in the game yesterday where he ran himself into a block but on each occasion he took the blocker completely out of the play and a clean BILL behind him was able to make  a tackle.   The easiest example was  a play around the Fish 10 where they ran to the right.  Bernard ran directly into the TE and basically made a pile while Milano got to the ball carrier and smashed him.

It was beautiful because it's been such a huge problem for 5 seasons.

• Like 6

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Thank you, Chicago, for paying him a boatload of cash.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bills Linebacker Terrel Bernard addresses the media following practice on Wednesday, October 11th. Topics include: adapting to changes to the Bills defense through various injuries, how he communicates with teammates on the Bills defense, and how he’s helped teammate Dorian Williams as he’s grown as a rookie.

Terrel Bernard: “Excited to Go Out and Play” | Buffalo Bills

• Like 1