Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

New NFL TV Contracts Are In: $10 Billion Per Year

Ann

IDBillzFan
1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Moving to Apple would be mind-numbingly stupid.

Agreed. But money trumps stupidity. Outside of an iPod years ago, I've managed to avoid all their Fisher Price products.

I'm not putting their stupid shit into my TV. I'll have to have a workaround, or maybe be glad at least 5 of them are prime-time games.

Alaska Darin
9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Agreed. But money trumps stupidity. Outside of an iPod years ago, I've managed to avoid all their Fisher Price products.

I'm not putting their stupid shit into my TV. I'll have to have a workaround, or maybe be glad at least 5 of them are prime-time games.

I will be eternally annoyed to give that clown show money to watch football. 

Apple TV subscribers: 40M

Amazon Prime members:  200M

The math ain't that hard.

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

Probably why Apple would be willing to pay more... to get more subscribers.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

Probably why Apple would be willing to pay more... to get more subscribers.

Of course...but globally they'll never be able to compete with Amazon - which is REALLY what the NFL should care about.

• Like 2

IDBillzFan
2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I have to believe Amazon has the upper hand, in large part because they're already bringing in TNF games this year. They're making the investment in all things needed to broadcast live NFL games.  It's very difficult for me to believe that they are going to go through all that work and expense, only to wake up next year and find out Apple has everything.

I understand there is a difference between covering the games and airing them. But in my own world of sales via bid, it's rare that someone who already had skin the game would lose the bid.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

Ok...went and looked.  Directv has about 2M Sunday Ticket subscribers.  If the NFL picks Apple for any reason, they are even more mind-numbingly stupid than I thought earlier.

IDBillzFan
6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Ok...went and looked.  Directv has about 2M Sunday Ticket subscribers.  If the NFL picks Apple for any reason, they are even more mind-numbingly stupid than I thought earlier.

The problem for DirecTV is once they lose the Ticket. I remain one of the earliest DirecTV subscribers (in part because my friend worked at Hughes Aircraft and got me a box to try at home when they first came out). No Ticket means I will drop to the absolute LOWEST subscription I can. I likely won't drop it altogether because we have a shitload of recorded content we use.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

The problem for DirecTV is once they lose the Ticket. I remain one of the earliest DirecTV subscribers (in part because my friend worked at Hughes Aircraft and got me a box to try at home when they first came out). No Ticket means I will drop to the absolute LOWEST subscription I can. I likely won't drop it altogether because we have a shitload of recorded content we use.

AT&T acquiring DTV was the death blow for the entire service.  Everything there was to like about DTV went straight out the window because ATT is a typical "too large for their own good" to care one bit about customer service.

I'm basically in the same boat.  I have DTV because of where I live and I've stayed with them because of the Ticket but I can easily go elsewhere if that's no longer the case.

Short rant about DirectTVNow.

I was one of the early adopters and they told the early adopters that as long as they maintained uninterrupted service, we would have the offering for $35 a month, for life. Great deal right? Except that after they got all their bugs ironed out and moved it to their new and improved platform, they raised our rates. I forget what it was but the actual price is irrelevant when they promised to keep the rate flat for those of us who helped them bring it up to a certain standard. There should be record of the uproar it caused somewhere on the 'net, I'm sure they wiped it from their forums.

After much complaint and back forth, I dropped them like a hot potato. I will never, ever, have anything to do with DTV, AT&T or any of their subsidiaries, including Sunday Ticket. &#%$ them and the horse they rode in on. I don't care who gets Sunday Ticket as long as it is not AT&T.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Of course...but globally they'll never be able to compete with Amazon - which is REALLY what the NFL should care about.

We are going to be in Europe for a lot of this season and I am thrilled as it is easy to pay per week on NFL Europe and see all the Bills games (we have done it before). Down in Florida we would have to get "creative." By the time we return, the Bills will be mostly primetime. The week they may not be we will head to a backer's bar or use @Cinga's directions.

• Cheers 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I already have Amazon Prime, so will look forward to live games.

Any other platform...I'll stick with listening live on NFL Game Pass, and watching later.  The cost of yet another service subscription greatly outweighs any convenience I'd get of watching games a few hours earlier than I'd otherwise see them (without commercials, no less).

• Like 2

Billsandhorns
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I already have Amazon Prime, so will look forward to live games.

Any other platform...I'll stick with listening live on NFL Game Pass, and watching later.  The cost of yet another service subscription greatly outweighs any convenience I'd get of watching games a few hours earlier than I'd otherwise see them (without commercials, no less).

Will it be part of the normal subscription, or an additional fee though?

Edited by Billsandhorns

Crap Throwing Clavin
36 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Will it be part of the normal subscription, or an additional fee though?

Likely an additional fee.

Though if the league were smart, they'd lower Amazon's cost enough that Amazon wouldn't have to charge for it, and instead insist that Amazon share all the data they have on viewers, and leverage that data in to new income streams.

Fortunately, the league isn't smart.  Hell, they still can't define "catch," they're certainly not smart enough to make the viewer the product.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my husband wanted to know if there was a way to watch the preseason games. Looks like he can for five bucks:

Exclusive Video Streaming Subscription Service Available TODAY

Access to Live Local & Primetime NFL Games & More

'NFL+' Available in the NFL App & NFL.com Starting at $4.99/Month

NFL+ – the National Football League's exclusive video streaming subscription service – officially launches TODAY.

With NFL+, fans can take their game on the go. NFL+ offers access to live out-of-market preseason games, live local and primetime regular season and postseason games (phone and tablet only), live local and national audio for every game, NFL Network shows on-demand, NFL Films archives and more.

</snip>

NFL+ is available in the NFL App across all app stores for $4.99/month or $39.99/year. Fans can upgrade to NFL+ Premium for $9.99/month or $79.99/year, which offers all of the features of NFL+ as well as full and condensed game replays and the All-22 Coaches Film.

Provided below is a breakdown of the NFL+ and NFL+ Premium products:

NFL+
Live local and primetime games on mobile and tablet devices
Live out-of-market preseason games across all devices
Live game audio (home, away and national calls) for every game of the season
NFL library programming on-demand (ad-free)
$4.99/month or $39.99/year

</snip>

• Like 3

For my (selfish) purposes NFL Europe gamepass being excellent is a good thing. But, he is right. It is simple to use, you can pay weekly, and tada, live games when in Europe. The US version needs to be at least as good. It is not. 

• Like 1

DirecTV gave me Sunday Ticket Max for free again...3 years in a row.

Just switched to better internet in anticipation of dumping DTV for streaming at some point soon 🙂

• Like 2