Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Star Trek Thread

RochesterRob

RochesterRob

Ball needs Jellico (Chain of Command 1 & 2 played to perfection by Ronny Cox) to set her tail straight.  Heck, I would put Jellico ahead of any of the captains of the current age.  The same with Matt Decker and Ron Tracey.  For the record it is Kirk clearly on top with Picard closely followed by Sisko.  

• Like 1

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RochesterRob

• B-Man

• devnull

• Crap Throwing Clavin

Crap Throwing Clavin
59 minutes ago, devnull said:

Sisko, Picard, and Kirk (TOS) are the Trinity.  You can argue order all day.

But how do you put Janeway and Michael Burnham ahead of Kirk?  They even have Tryla Scott ahead of Kirk.  She was in one episode of TNG (Conspiracy) and was controlled by an alien parasite

I like Strange New Worlds and am fan of Anson Mount from his days on Hell on Wheels, but no way you can rate Pike above Kirk

And while the first three seasons of Enterprise were sub par, that fourth season was solid so how do you leave off Archer?

In order: Kirk, Picard, Sisko.

Sisko sat in one place and managed a glorified trading post.

Picard traveled the galaxy, but had Riker go down to planets and bang hot aliens.

Kirk: traveled the galaxy, beamed down to planets, and banged hot aliens all by himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Picard traveled the galaxy, but had Riker go down to planets and bang hot aliens.

Kirk: traveled the galaxy, beamed down to planets, and banged hot aliens all by himself.

My order is Picard, Kirk, and Sisko

I have to disagree with you about Sisko.  he did not just sit around in one place.  he commanded the Defiant, travelled thru wormholes, and reached God-like status as the Emissary.

Kirk vs Picard, we have hashed out many times over the years.  For me, it comes down to who I would prefer to follow into battle.  A calm and measured leader or a cowboy in technicolor leisure suit

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Sisko effectively became a god and was key in winning the dominion war.  His acting was also phenomenal. 

Picard was great until season 1&2 of Star Trek Picard which he had creative control diminished his legacy.

• Applause 1

34 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Sisko effectively became a god and was key in winning the dominion war.  His acting was also phenomenal. 

Rodenberry envisioned the Federation as some kind of altruistic noble utopian system, embodied by the line in Wrath of Khan "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

Cisco delved into the concept of "The Ends Justify The Means"

• Cheers 1

RochesterRob

Over the weekend somebody expressed their dislike of me basically giving credit to Matt Decker.  The way I see it he was more mentally diminished by the time of the events of TDM versus being flat out crazy.  My theory was Decker was placed back in the field because the Constellation needed a replacement for its captain due to death, illness, or other reason.  Prior to that he most likely was in administration on a Star Base.  Note that most Commodores at the time were administrators.  Decker no doubt had a successful career including being a captain during his 30's.  But as noted in Court Martial being a starship captain is a very demanding and stressful position that no doubt wears most down in a span of several years.  At this point they are "kicked upstairs" by being promoted to commodore.  Field assignments normally being rare and more in the tradition of the US Navy of 100 plus years ago where they are an overall commander over several captains in a task force or fleet exercise (The Ultimate Computer).  Anyways, assuming Decker paralleled actor William Windom in terms of age meaning the events of TDM happened while he was in his mid-40's.  Further, that by this point in time Decker most likely had moved on to Commodore and the responsibilities and duties several years prior.  Decker during the course of TDM had the demeanor of an older man who was always on the defensive because he was increasingly less sure of himself mentally.  Had he remained at a Star Base and had duties along the lines of figuring out what Earth grain would grow on Sherman's Planet (Sherman & Peabody fame?) he probably would have had a very successful late career before retirement.  I hope this explanation is useful.  

I caught a Star Trek documentary series called The Center Seat on Roku Channel.  11 part documentary with some pretty interesting back story on the production of Star Trek over the years. 

Definitely worth watching

On 3/6/2023 at 2:00 PM, Wacka said:

Was watching Emergency! today and they had an episode that was probably a spinoff attempt. Gage and Depot go to SF for a convention and they ride along with firemen there.Show was one of the last of the series (probably 1979). They call into the hospital and the doc that answers is John  DeLacie!  (Q). Was expecting him to just snap his fingers and make the patient well!

On 3/16/2023 at 1:30 PM, devnull said:

I remember one summer I recognized Q on whatever soap opera my Mom was watching.

One one of the episodes of The Center Seat about the production of The Next Generation, they said one of the writers or producers (i forget which) wanted to find a role for John de Lancie because while recovering from a heart attack he really enjoyed watching de Lancie on the daytime soap.

• Like 1

I caught an episode of Deep Space Nine today.  Season 1 Episode 13 "Battle Lines" and omg....Mike Ehremantraut!

Even in a single Star Trek episode with a cheesy costume, dude can act

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 hours ago, devnull said:

I caught an episode of Deep Space Nine today.  Season 1 Episode 13 "Battle Lines" and omg....Mike Ehremantraut!

Even in a single Star Trek episode with a cheesy costume, dude can act

How many know he was the tough in Beverly Hills Cop...with hair.

• Like 2

Nouseforaname

So i just re-watched Enterprise.

Season 3 & 4 were quite good aside from that terrible series finale.  It should have ended with the Terra Prime arc. 

&#%$ing idiots.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

So i just re-watched Enterprise.

Season 3 & 4 were quite good aside from that terrible series finale.  It should have ended with the Terra Prime arc. 

&#%$ing idiots.

Enterprise Season 4 was great.  I especially enjoyed the Mirror Universe arc and the Augments/Dr Soongh/Smooth Head Klingon arc

Agreed that the finale was hot garbage and Terra Prima was the true finale.  But I'm not really sure I'm comfortable calling Terra Prima the "finale" because it was the lead into what would have been Season 5.

Nouseforaname
2 hours ago, devnull said:

Enterprise Season 4 was great.  I especially enjoyed the Mirror Universe arc and the Augments/Dr Soongh/Smooth Head Klingon arc

Agreed that the finale was hot garbage and Terra Prima was the true finale.  But I'm not really sure I'm comfortable calling Terra Prima the "finale" because it was the lead into what would have been Season 5.

Season 5 was supposed to be focused on the romulan - earth war had it not been cancelled.

A &#%$ing tragedy honestly.  

RochesterRob
31 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Season 5 was supposed to be focused on the romulan - earth war had it not been cancelled.

A &#%$ing tragedy honestly.  

Too much time was wasted on the Xindi hence people lost interest.  Also, I did not like throwing the Gorn into the Mirror Universe two parter.  The Gorn were unknown prior to the events of Arena and should have stayed that way.  Too much retconning of Kirk era material.  

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Too much time was wasted on the Xindi hence people lost interest.  Also, I did not like throwing the Gorn into the Mirror Universe two parter.  The Gorn were unknown prior to the events of Arena and should have stayed that way.  Too much retconning of Kirk era material.  

I agree.  It was an interesting arc but there were too many episodes I just skimmed through because they had to fill the quota of 25 episodes per season.

Season 4 felt much more compact but as you said, the decision was already made to end the show.  

Edited by Nouseforaname

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

IMG_2012.jpeg

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

C'mon son...James Horner?  'Nuff said.