Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills want a new stadium – and for taxpayers to foot the bill

You Dirty Rat

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

this is true.

the commute from the hotels in NYC is too far

The corporate types want to play golf with their business partners. The NFL will never go back to Jacksonville again for a SB. Dave and Busters doesn’t cut it for the kind of entertainment that is required for a SB. 

19 hours ago, Figster said:

Had this been a Dome design money going back into the community could have been more aimed at the ability to support a Superbowl IMO. Win, win

To much snow and with traction becoming a big problem I would like to know what the Bills plan on doing with the playing field. 4 foot of snow is equivalent to 5 inches of rain when melted. So a heated grass field better have real good drainage.

My thoughts on this is If you heat the field then heat the seats and walkways along with it.  All snow gets melted. Keep the fans fanny's warm.

I don't know how many times this has to be explained but here we go again...

Buffalo could build a stadium 10x better than any on the planet and would still never be selected to host a SB because the city doesn't have the basic infrastructure required to handle the event, nor can it afford to even make strides in that direction. 

Does anyone really think the NFL and the Pegulas didn't at least consider it when the were getting ready for the hostage negotiation?  It's not like they're wasting time trying to figure out how to fix the officiating.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

The corporate types want to play golf with their business partners. The NFL will never go back to Jacksonville again for a SB. Dave and Busters doesn’t cut it for the kind of entertainment that is required for a SB. 

Not to mention having to bring in cruise ships because Duval doesn't have enough hotels for a global event. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Not to mention having to bring in cruise ships because Duval doesn't have enough hotels for a global event. 

maybe they can convoy the cruise ships up the Erie Canal

they can send one over the Falls as new and edgy half time entertainment

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2023 at 9:59 AM, Alaska Darin said:

I don't know how many times this has to be explained but here we go again...

Buffalo could build a stadium 10x better than any on the planet and would still never be selected to host a SB because the city doesn't have the basic infrastructure required to handle the event, nor can it afford to even make strides in that direction. 

Does anyone really think the NFL and the Pegulas didn't at least consider it when the were getting ready for the hostage negotiation?  It's not like they're wasting time trying to figure out how to fix the officiating.

Allow me to be more clear 

The 100 milllion that has to be invested back into the community go towards the basic infastructure required to handle the event.  

1 hour ago, Figster said:

The 100 milllion that has to be invested back into the community go towards the basic infastructure required to handle the event.  

$100M doesn't move the needle at all.

• Cheers 2

Nouseforaname
5 hours ago, Figster said:

100m? What will they build, a bus stop?

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

$100M doesn't move the needle at all.

3 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

100m? What will they build, a bus stop?

Lol, true that,  its a drop in the bucket.  Motels are expensive to build.

Take a look at this article ( I checked some of the numbers )

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/31/4368898/could-buffalo-host-a-super-bowl

Edited by Figster

Nouseforaname
8 hours ago, Figster said:

Lol, true that,  its a drop in the bucket.  Motels are expensive to build.

Take a look at this article ( I checked some of the numbers )

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/31/4368898/could-buffalo-host-a-super-bowl

I just took a quick look at the list of venues historically and from what I can tell, there has been 5 super bowls in 57 years that have been in cold weather climates.  Even if buffalo was to get one, is that worth the investment needed ?

2 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

I just took a quick look at the list of venues historically and from what I can tell, there has been 5 super bowls in 57 years that have been in cold weather climates.  Even if buffalo was to get one, is that worth the investment needed ?

Historically I can tell you another open air stadium is going to continue having problems dealing with bad weather. Dome is needed for the bad playing conditions the players will continue to play in IMO. Again 4 foot of snow is enough water when melted to turn the stadium into a a big pond without proper drainage. Good luck keeping the field in decent shape to play on. 

Its a mistake not building a Dome...

Edited by Figster

Nouseforaname
45 minutes ago, Figster said:

Historically I can tell you another open air stadium is going to continue having problems dealing with bad weather. Dome is needed for the bad playing conditions the players will continue to play in IMO. Again 4 foot of snow is enough water when melted to turn the stadium into a a big pond without proper drainage. Good luck keeping the field in decent shape to play on. 

Sure but that is different than talking about a Super Bowl in buffalo.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Figster said:

drainage?

what's that?

you need to contact the bills before the plans are complete to be sure they add drainage

but then again they could plow out the 4 ft of snow before it melts in place, so no drainage required

whew-  that was a close call

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

drainage?

what's that?

you need to contact the bills before the plans are complete to be sure they add drainage

but then again they could plow out the 4 ft of snow before it melts in place, so no drainage required

whew-  that was a close call

Plowing out around the seats ? 

Bills are talking about a heated field, the snow will be melted to water on a field you need play on.  Heated seats and walkways help, but 5 inches of water on that much impervious surface is a storm water management problem IMO.

Edited by Figster

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

Bills are talking about a heated field, the snow will be melted to water on a field you need play on.  Heated seats and walkways help, but 5 inches of water on that much impervious surface is a storm water management problem IMO.

I don't think snow is going to be anywhere near the issue it is in the current stadium because there is a partial roof on the new facility.

The Super Bowl isn't coming to Buffalo and they're not building a dome.  People just need to accept reality and be happy there's an NFL team in WNY because that's as good as it's going to be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Figster said:

this may come as a shock, but rain and snow from the seats does not drain onto the playing field.

and, the playing surface is not impervious

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

this may come as a shock, but rain and snow from the seats does not drain onto the playing field.

and, the playing surface is not impervious

OK, thanks

9 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:
I don't think snow is going to be anywhere near the issue it is in the current stadium because there is a partial roof on the new facility.

The Super Bowl isn't coming to Buffalo and they're not building a dome. People just need to accept reality and be happy there's an NFL team in WNY because that's as good as it's going to be.

If there is a driving wind bringing the snow, they will get significantly less in the stadium than in the surrounding parking lots. The stadium won't be spared, but the air mass in the stadium won't mix that much with the air flowing past the stadium. (Boundary layers are real and are the reason you can drive in a light rain in a convertable without getting soaked until you stop for a light. (Oversimplification, but you get the jist of it.))

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

9 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The Super Bowl isn't coming to Buffalo and they're not building a dome. People just need to accept reality and be happy there's an NFL team in WNY because that's as good as it's going to be.

If there is a driving wind bringing the snow, they will get significantly less in the stadium than in the surrounding parking lots. The stadium won't be spared, but the air mass in the stadium won't mix that much with the air flowing past the stadium. (Boundary layers are real and are the reason you can drive in a light rain in a convertable without getting soaked until you stop for a light. (Oversimplification, but you get the jist of it.))

I  do agree the design will help. How much in blizzard conditions remains to be seen IMO. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

I  do agree the design will help. How much in blizzard conditions remains to be seen IMO. 

The stronger the winds, the more pronounced the effect will be.

Wouldn't do much for that Fishie Bills snowglobe game in the early Aughts.  Not much wind, just a lot of snow falling straight down.

• Cheers 3