Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the announcers in the NFL?

Ann

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

He never seemed to have much of a personality to me. Maybe I didn't see the right interviews? 

Alaska Darin
9 minutes ago, Ann said:

He never seemed to have much of a personality to me. Maybe I didn't see the right interviews? 

I'm always curious about how guys are going to be in real time.  I know they do some sim games with them before they hire but guys like Jimbo still slip through and are not very good.

51 minutes ago, Ann said:

Bummer.  Was taking some sort of weird pride in not watching ESPN for ANY of its programming unless it was a football, hockey, or lacrosse game.  (Extremely slight exaggeration.  IF when watching the NFL Network pregame Sunday morning show we ended up actually caught up in real time so we'd have to sit through commercials there would then watch some of ESPN's Sunday morning football show to get far enough ahead to skip commercials again.  Also, might watch an inning of baseball here or there, but not much.)  Might actually tune in to this.

• Like 3

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Bummer.  Was taking some sort of weird pride in not watching ESPN for ANY of its programming unless it was a football, hockey, or lacrosse game.  (Extremely slight exaggeration.  IF when watching the NFL Network pregame Sunday morning show we ended up actually caught up in real time so we'd have to sit through commercials there would then watch some of ESPN's Sunday morning football show to get far enough ahead to skip commercials again.  Also, might watch an inning of baseball here or there, but not much.)  Might actually tune in to this.

Same.  I REALLY hope Pat doesn't lose who he is because he went with them.  One of the best parts of the show has always been how unscripted/unrelenting the show is.  ESPN is pretty well known for stifling content.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Same.  I REALLY hope Pat doesn't lose who he is because he went with them.  One of the best parts of the show has always been how unscripted/unrelenting the show is.  ESPN is pretty well known for stifling content.

I think it's more likely that ESPN cuts him loose in a couple years for not changing, rather than he changes to suit ESPN.

I mean...just imagine him covering transgender sports issues according to ESPN's editorial preferences.  Never happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I think it's more likely that ESPN cuts him loose in a couple years for not changing, rather than he changes to suit ESPN.

I mean...just imagine him covering transgender sports issues according to ESPN's editorial preferences.  Never happening.

I dont give him that long.

14 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Probably happen after the third F Bomb he drops. 

• Haha 1

Alaska Darin
42 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Probably happen after the third F Bomb he drops. 

So the opening monologue, then?  :lol:

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon Sharpe leaving FS1’s ‘Undisputed’

Shannon Sharpe’s partnership with Skip Bayless is coming to a conclusion soon.

Sharpe and Fox Sports, the parent company of FS1, which airs “Undisputed,” have reached a buyout agreement, sources tell The Post.

Sharpe’s final show is expected to be after the 2023 NBA Finals conclude in June.

Sharpe’s popular “Club Shay Shay” podcast, which draws a big audience on social media and YouTube, will also be leaving Fox Sports, a source said.

There was public friction between Sharpe and Bayless on the show after Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field in a Week 17 game against the Bengals.

Bayless, in a stream-of-conscious tweet sent after Hamlin had collapsed but before the rest of the game had been canceled, wrote, “No doubt the NFL is considering postponing the rest of this game – but how? This late in the season, a game of this magnitude is crucial to the regular-season outcome … which suddenly seems so irrelevant.”

Sharpe stayed home from “Undisputed” the following morning; when he returned a day later, he said that he had wished Bayless would take the tweet down, while Bayless said that he stood by it.

“I cannot even get through a monologue without you interrupting me,” Sharpe said.

</snip>

Alaska Darin
19 hours ago, Ann said:

Shannon Sharpe leaving FS1’s ‘Undisputed’

Shannon Sharpe’s partnership with Skip Bayless is coming to a conclusion soon.

Sharpe and Fox Sports, the parent company of FS1, which airs “Undisputed,” have reached a buyout agreement, sources tell The Post.

Sharpe’s final show is expected to be after the 2023 NBA Finals conclude in June.

Sharpe’s popular “Club Shay Shay” podcast, which draws a big audience on social media and YouTube, will also be leaving Fox Sports, a source said.

There was public friction between Sharpe and Bayless on the show after Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field in a Week 17 game against the Bengals.

Bayless, in a stream-of-conscious tweet sent after Hamlin had collapsed but before the rest of the game had been canceled, wrote, “No doubt the NFL is considering postponing the rest of this game – but how? This late in the season, a game of this magnitude is crucial to the regular-season outcome … which suddenly seems so irrelevant.”

Sharpe stayed home from “Undisputed” the following morning; when he returned a day later, he said that he had wished Bayless would take the tweet down, while Bayless said that he stood by it.

“I cannot even get through a monologue without you interrupting me,” Sharpe said.

</snip>

Obvious from a million miles away.   If Sharpe has choke slammed him on the air, I'd have donated money to his legal fund.

Bayless is a cyst.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

John Murphy update 

Buffalo Bills radio play-by-play announcer John Murphy was at the National Football League team’s minicamp Tuesday as he continues his road to recovery from the stroke he had at the end of last season.

I was alerted to Murphy's attendance by Buffalo News sportswriter Mark Gaughan, who covers the Bills.

Murphy told me via text he isn’t ready to be interviewed, but he did send me this reply: “I’m going to wait until late July before I decide whether to come back. Still some recovery to do.”

</snip>

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
55 minutes ago, Ann said:

I was baffled:

It's a joke.  He says "CVS," but is wearing the CBS hat backwards.  Turns it forward for the correction.  Seems pretty consistent with what I know of his sense of humor.

It's not a very funny joke...but then, I'm not exactly one to criticize, am I @Alaska Darin?

• Haha 1
  • Popcorn 1

More layoffs at ESPN

ESPN is laying off some of its biggest stars, including Jeff Van Gundy, Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johson and Jalen Rose, in a purge that is expected to result in around 20 on-air personalities being let go Friday as the network hopes to save tens of millions of dollars, The Post has learned.

ESPN informed all of its employees Friday morning of the forthcoming cuts on an internal website, according to a memo obtained by The Post.

The five-paragraph note did not go into many specifics.

At the beginning of Disney’s three rounds of layoffs, sources told The Post that at ESPN, there would be “no sacred cows” when letting go of personnel. 

This has become apparent on Friday.

</snip>

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ann said:

More layoffs at ESPN

ESPN is laying off some of its biggest stars, including Jeff Van Gundy, Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johson and Jalen Rose, in a purge that is expected to result in around 20 on-air personalities being let go Friday as the network hopes to save tens of millions of dollars, The Post has learned.

ESPN informed all of its employees Friday morning of the forthcoming cuts on an internal website, according to a memo obtained by The Post.

The five-paragraph note did not go into many specifics.

At the beginning of Disney’s three rounds of layoffs, sources told The Post that at ESPN, there would be “no sacred cows” when letting go of personnel. 

This has become apparent on Friday.

</snip>

No! Cute and cuddly Suzy Kolber got canned?  Wonder if she needs a shoulder to cry on?

(Hopefully can get in the line ahead of Joe Willie.  :classic_wink:)

• Haha 1

Alaska Darin

The fact that "Jeff Van Gundy, Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johson and Jalen Rose" are considered "stars" tells you everything you need to know about the state of ESPN.

So long, losers.  They should change the name to PN because it's rarely entertaining and unless it's live, it's barely about sports.

• Applause 2
  • Cheers 1