Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

NFL Emails Scandal (Gruden thread expanded)

MothersMilk

17 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The complaining I hear about the half time show is mostly because the acts always suck.

You are listening to the wrong circle. Had you been listening from a morality circle you would have heard otherwise.  I hear from both so I hear both. Often times they are morally reprehensible.  That said, most of the world appreciates that. My ask is when you hire they above mentioned what do you expect to get? 

13 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

That's fair.

To return to the subject of this thread, Gruden is being forced out of any role in coaching or broadcasting, due to Goodell's petty personal spite. The question then becomes: what is the larger pattern of change in the NFL Goodell has created?

To me, that pattern consists of reduced authenticity, reduced emphasis on the game or love for the game, and increased marketing efforts. To give one example: back in the '90s my favorite part about most football games was halftime. During the halftime report they'd take you from game to game, and give you a Cliff's Notes summation. You felt like you had a bird's eye view of the NFL as a whole. Do they still do that? Well . . . sort of. That part of the halftime segment still exists, but now they only tell you about one play per game. At that point they may as well drop that part of the broadcast entirely. On the other hand, the halftime report for the Bills/Chiefs game was outstanding!

Goodell has done a great job for the owners (lots of revenue) and the players (lots of revenue), but has not done a good job for the fans. At the end of the day, Gruden is a man who knows football and loves football. The NFL in general, and Goodell in particular, has drifted away from a love for football. It appears as though Goodell's ego requires the sacrifice of Gruden's career. That being the case, is Goodell going to try to push in the opposite direction, and add back some of the love for football the NFL is losing as it loses Gruden? Or will Goodell continue his pattern of replacing game-related content with marketing and hype?

The NFL is trying to be everything to everyone.  Can’t be done without pissing off everyone.  I guess the goal is to piss them off just a little so they keep themselves tuning in to the games.  

The decisionmakers need to understand that they’ve probably maxxed out on the amount of interest they’re going to generate.  Why play this balancing act?  What a colossal waste of time.  At this point they really should focus more on actual football than the peripheral stuff. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The mistake the NFL (and many others) are making is thinking the mob is a controllable force they can use for “good” (however said group defines it). It’s folly. The mob is not controllable, it’s an entirely brainless and destructive force that only knows how to tear stuff down. And it always, always, gobbles up the folks who think they’re in control. Usually in the most spectacular of ways too, which is an entertaining bonus if you’re into that schadenfreude life. 

Just for clarity since I haven’t really weighed in on the issue(s): I’ve never been a Gruden fan. What he wrote was despicable and imo he knew exactly what he was saying when he said it. It wasn’t the ‘50s, or even the 20th century, when he wrote those emails. He wrote them at a time when anyone with even a basic societal awareness knew they were over the line. Then again, he’s always come off as a shithead to me so the fact he put those words into an email wasn’t surprising. It merely confirmed my suspicions.

For me, Gruden’s part in this saga isn’t the real concern. Nor is the halftime entertainment line up or their own “transgressions”/deviations from the accepted thinking of the day. That’s missing the forest through the trees for me.  The real issue, which should be unifying rather than divisive regardless of your politics, is that this was (seemingly) a targeted public execution of a guy for saying stupid shit in what he believed to be a private conversation. A giant company, with the assist of the media and the social media mob, decided to smoke a dude in the public square on a whim. Gruden didn’t get fired, he got eviscerated, he’s never going to work again, at least not in the career he worked most of his life to earn.

Every day it seems like Orwell laughs even louder at us from beyond the grave. 

10 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And Robespierre.

For a Deranged Rhino and Crap Throwing Monkey you guys rock sometimes...

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Figster said:

For a Deranged Rhino and Crap Throwing Monkey you guys rock sometimes...

Y'know, @Deranged Rhino, one of these days we'll start a production company together, and our logo will be a macaque throwing shit at a charging rhino...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

If you didn't think this was little more than a hit against Gruden, take a look at this bullshit and tell me what you think now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
52 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

If you didn't think this was little more than a hit against Gruden, take a look at this bullshit and tell me what you think now...

It absolutely was. This was nothing more than Goodell punishing Gruden for what was said about him personally.

There is no way that in well over half a million emails that Gruden’s were the only ones to contain offensive or derogatory language.

Goodell got his pound of flesh, protected his owners, and the “investigation” got it’s fall guy.

• Like 2
  • Angry 2
  • Cheers 2

Reid’s ‘all around it’s a tough deal’ is the new ‘very fine people on both sides’

Start with a dishonest take, then run with it to trash a coach who didn't want to get involved, after he explicitly said "[t]here’s nothing to be gained … with my remarks.”

Man I love anonymous SJW "editorial board" cowardice masquerading as 'journalism'.

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Koko said:

Reid’s ‘all around it’s a tough deal’ is the new ‘very fine people on both sides’

Start with a dishonest take, then run with it to trash a coach who didn't want to get involved, after he explicitly said "[t]here’s nothing to be gained … with my remarks.”

Man I love anonymous SJW "editorial board" cowardice masquerading as 'journalism'.

What's news to me in that article - and I admit, I haven't been following this story, because I don't give a shit - is that Gruden spent seven years writing racist emails.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

No other emails they could use keep smith as head of nflpa

8 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Y'know, @Deranged Rhino, one of these days we'll start a production company together, and our logo will be a macaque throwing shit at a charging rhino...

I dunno... I'm thinking somehow there needs to be a penguin (perchance a raft or waddle) and maybe some Tom Petty music involved there somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I dunno... I'm thinking somehow there needs to be a penguin (perchance a raft or waddle) and maybe some Tom Petty music involved there somewhere.

A penguin being trampled by a rhino would be perfectly acceptable to me.

• Haha 3

Crap Throwing Clavin

Did I just listen to Football Night in America claim that Gruden's single email disparaging Smith would lead to Jim Crow hiring practices in the NFL?

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
28 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Did I just listen to Football Night in America claim that Gruden's single email disparaging Smith would lead to Jim Crow hiring practices in the NFL?

It's the buzzword of the day/weekend. Brandon dropped it today too (obv not about Gruden). 

• Doh! 1

A secret NFL investigation revealed that Gruden wanted to replace the Raiderettes with a paramilitary uniformed group on horseback with whips. They would patrol the sidelines and keep the players in line. Sources with firsthand knowledge reported. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Let's Go, It's the buzzword of the day/weekend. Brandon dropped it today too (obv not about Gruden). 

FIFY.

• Haha 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

David Baker, President and CEO of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has abruptly announced his retirement, effective immediately.

Updates to his Wikipedia says only this:

5BA7678F-690B-4882-8B04-BB9F25A9373F.jpeg

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Why?  What oversight are they exercising that includes legislation into Gruden's emails from 10 years ago?

This is pandering horseshit.

The only dog and pony show more pathetic than the NFL is Congress. They don’t want to be outdone. 

• Like 3