Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

NFL Emails Scandal (Gruden thread expanded)

MothersMilk

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
22 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

No, it wouldn’t, because their white supremacy is the opposite of the woke agenda the NFL is promoting.

Point of order: white supremacy is absolutely not the opposite of wokeness.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And their "certain appreciation of women" is from a hip-hop/gangsta rap contex...which is usually disparaging at best, and often rather misogynistic.  And often dismissed as "it's a cultural thing/it's performance art, you don't understand because you're racist."  (At least, that's what I'm told.  Repeatedly.)

Which is, frankly, little different from Gruden's misplaced attempts at humor in his emails.  Or for that matter, me in 2006, accurately criticizing Senator Clinton's horribly racist anti-Dubai Ports World legislation as "keep the sand niggers out of our ports" legislation.  Or, in a much broader sense, how the media abandoned every sense of "metaphor" when discussing Trump's stupidity, but embrace it for Biden's incoherence.

And there's the real hypocrisy: context only matters sometimes.  Usually within an approved political meta-context.

Yes, that was the joke.  If you think Dre and Snoop stand for hatred of women akin to the White Supremacist themed rock band in the asinine example I responded to then we can agree to disagree.

Speaking of the bolded, that is exactly how I would describe raging about the entire lyrical catalogue of the half time performers for the first time ever because of a need to view the resignation of a head coach through the lens of cancel culture or NFL gone woke hypocrisy because it suits a favorite narrative.  If there was any genuine concern about misogyny we would have seen it when the lineup was announced but every cry of sexism I have seen is in conjunction with the Gruden firing, which is hardly surprising.  Some of those Snoop lyrics are downright presidential but lets all pretend this is really about misogyny.

I hope the NFL scraps the all rap lineup and brings in the Dixie Chicks just to piss everyone off.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, that was the joke.  If you think Dre and Snoop stand for hatred of women akin to the White Supremacist themed rock band in the asinine example I responded to then we can agree to disagree.

Speaking of the bolded, that is exactly how I would describe raging about the entire lyrical catalogue of the half time performers for the first time ever because of a need to view the resignation of a head coach through the lens of cancel culture or NFL gone woke hypocrisy because it suits a favorite narrative.  If there was any genuine concern about misogyny we would have seen it when the lineup was announced but every cry of sexism I have seen is in conjunction with the Gruden firing, which is hardly surprising.  Some of those Snoop lyrics are downright presidential but lets all pretend this is really about misogyny.

I hope the NFL scraps the all rap lineup and brings in the Dixie Chicks just to piss everyone off.

I donno, is it good to hate on George W again? If not, they're out.

And if you think people have not complained about the "acts" the NFL has employed at halftime, you live under a rock.

Personally? I'd like Barry Manilow to take some time away from Vegas and do a halftime show. 💕 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

I donno, is it good to hate on George W again? If not, they're out.

And if you think people have not complained about the "acts" the NFL has employed at halftime, you live under a rock.

Personally? I'd like Barry Manilow to take some time away from Vegas and do a halftime show. 💕 

The complaining I hear about the half time show is mostly because the acts always suck.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
35 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I already pointed out that was a horrible analogy.

19 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I see ABBA is back together and might be available.

:llama:

My senior year in college, the Founder's Day weekend celebration was an absolute disaster of planning.  The theme was "Go Greek," a parody of frat life, which the feminists nixed (of course), so it turned in to "A celebration of classical Greek and Roman culture."  And the band they signed (I don't remember who) had, in their contract, the requirement that they be provided with $40k in heroin and drug paraphernalia.  The college of course killed that contract...but only a week before the band was supposed to perform (I have no idea how you wait that long to say "Wait, we can't pay them in heroin.") leaving people in a rush to find a replacement act.  At that short notice, the only act available was...The Village People.  

The only think anyone agreed on who attended that Founder's Day was the musical act sucked balls, figuratively and literally.

So go ahead, NFL.  Sign ABBA.

(Side note: I've seen The Village People live, in concert.)

4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

So go ahead, NFL.  Sign ABBA.

If they signed ABBA, my mother might actually turn on a game.

I know my husband would be glued to the halftime show. :frustration:  :cry:

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Point of order: white supremacy is absolutely not the opposite of wokeness.

Some might see white nationalists or white supremacists as examples of groups which love the white race. The woke crowd is definitely an example of a group which hates the white race. In fact that is their most deeply held value. Hence my belief that woke and white supremacist are opposite. If you see things differently that’s fine, and I would be curious to hear the reasoning behind your view. 

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
3 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Some might see white nationalists or white supremacists as examples of groups which love the white race. The woke crowd is definitely an example of a group which hates the white race. In fact that is their most deeply held value. Hence my belief that woke and white supremacist are opposite. If you see things differently that’s fine, and I would be curious to hear the reasoning behind your view. 

I have no interest in having this discussion on the main board in a thread about the email scandal. Probably shouldn’t have made my original comment in this thread, as I don’t want to derail it, and it’s really not appropriate for the NFL sub forum.

I’ll happily debate you on the topic if you’d like to start a new thread in the appropriate Current Events sub.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

What's Up With People doing nowadays?

They're probably on their knees praying that no one ever thinks an ABBA halftime show is a good idea.

We need to bring back Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson. That was pretty good entertainment.

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I have no interest in having this discussion on the main board in a thread about the email scandal. Probably shouldn’t have made my original comment in this thread, as I don’t want to derail it, and it’s really not appropriate for the NFL sub forum.

I’ll happily debate you on the topic if you’d like to start a new thread in the appropriate Current Events sub.

That's fair.

To return to the subject of this thread, Gruden is being forced out of any role in coaching or broadcasting, due to Goodell's petty personal spite. The question then becomes: what is the larger pattern of change in the NFL Goodell has created?

To me, that pattern consists of reduced authenticity, reduced emphasis on the game or love for the game, and increased marketing efforts. To give one example: back in the '90s my favorite part about most football games was halftime. During the halftime report they'd take you from game to game, and give you a Cliff's Notes summation. You felt like you had a bird's eye view of the NFL as a whole. Do they still do that? Well . . . sort of. That part of the halftime segment still exists, but now they only tell you about one play per game. At that point they may as well drop that part of the broadcast entirely. On the other hand, the halftime report for the Bills/Chiefs game was outstanding!

Goodell has done a great job for the owners (lots of revenue) and the players (lots of revenue), but has not done a good job for the fans. At the end of the day, Gruden is a man who knows football and loves football. The NFL in general, and Goodell in particular, has drifted away from a love for football. It appears as though Goodell's ego requires the sacrifice of Gruden's career. That being the case, is Goodell going to try to push in the opposite direction, and add back some of the love for football the NFL is losing as it loses Gruden? Or will Goodell continue his pattern of replacing game-related content with marketing and hype?

Al Davis has to be spinning in his grave watching bowl cut cave to the whim of the NFL.  Al woulda gave Chuckie an extension while filing 10 lawsuits and flipping the bird at Goodell in front of every media entity who'd give him the time. 

I miss the old days. 

• Like 5
  • Cheers 3

Deranged Rhino

The mistake the NFL (and many others) are making is thinking the mob is a controllable force they can use for “good” (however said group defines it). It’s folly. The mob is not controllable, it’s an entirely brainless and destructive force that only knows how to tear stuff down. And it always, always, gobbles up the folks who think they’re in control. Usually in the most spectacular of ways too, which is an entertaining bonus if you’re into that schadenfreude life. 

Just for clarity since I haven’t really weighed in on the issue(s): I’ve never been a Gruden fan. What he wrote was despicable and imo he knew exactly what he was saying when he said it. It wasn’t the ‘50s, or even the 20th century, when he wrote those emails. He wrote them at a time when anyone with even a basic societal awareness knew they were over the line. Then again, he’s always come off as a shithead to me so the fact he put those words into an email wasn’t surprising. It merely confirmed my suspicions.

For me, Gruden’s part in this saga isn’t the real concern. Nor is the halftime entertainment line up or their own “transgressions”/deviations from the accepted thinking of the day. That’s missing the forest through the trees for me.  The real issue, which should be unifying rather than divisive regardless of your politics, is that this was (seemingly) a targeted public execution of a guy for saying stupid shit in what he believed to be a private conversation. A giant company, with the assist of the media and the social media mob, decided to smoke a dude in the public square on a whim. Gruden didn’t get fired, he got eviscerated, he’s never going to work again, at least not in the career he worked most of his life to earn.

Every day it seems like Orwell laughs even louder at us from beyond the grave. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3
  • FANtastic 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Every day it seems like Orwell laughs even louder at us from beyond the grave. 

And Robespierre.

• Like 1

What’s next for Chuckie - working his way up so one day maybe he could become an evening manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha? After all he started out working at a Chick-fil-A back in the day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Al Davis has to be spinning in his grave watching bowl cut cave to the whim of the NFL.  Al woulda gave Chuckie an extension while filing 10 lawsuits and flipping the bird at Goodell in front of every media entity who'd give him the time. 

I miss the old days. 

And he'd do it for weeks, and months, and a year, and time.

• Like 2