Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

NFL Emails Scandal (Gruden thread expanded)

MothersMilk

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its a double standard we are all guilty of if we listen to rock, rap, metal, or pop and listen to stand up or watch crude movies, play video games.  How can we stand against misogyny and sexism and appreciate a decent beat?

Sure.

Remember, "we all" includes the NFL.

And the NFL loses credibility when it signals virtue about one individual just to back up a vendetta.  It's a pretty simple point that got blown up in this thread.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its a double standard we are all guilty of if we listen to rock, rap, metal, or pop and listen to stand up or watch crude movies, play video games.  How can we stand against misogyny and sexism and appreciate a decent beat?

Nice posting J,

We live in a world of double standards...

Crap Throwing Clavin
41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I only listen to instrumentals, and play Candy Crush.

• Haha 3

Mike Mayock addresses the media, and explains that since he first arrived at the Raider's office, Mark Davis said he had three priorities: diversity, social justice and domestic violence.

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

My point stands.  Bad comparisons are bad for reasons which are obvious to anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty. 

But if you want to argue that the expectations for a solo recording artist should be identical to those of a head coach of a football team, I will not stand in your way.

(You are trying to downplay it again....They are NOT a solo artist, they are the artist that the NFL hired to perform at their Biggest Event)

Yeah, people really picture Mark Davis first when they think about the Raiders since he's so public with his slick haircuts and all.  Head coach and QB are the face of the modern franchise not owners.   (You didn't say "face" , you said LEADER)

Gruden resigned and social media has nothing to do with it.   (Oh my, no you are straight up gaslighting)

I don't get it.  On one hand people are raging about cancel culture (after a resignation) and on the other hand they're pearl clutching over decades old rap lyrics.

(You don't "get it", because that is NOT what is happening)

Response.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Response.

They are solo artists hired for 10 minutes of entertainment.  I don't know how you do business but I have higher standards and expectations for C-suite executives than I do for the band at the annual company winter solstice celebration party. If you think they're even in the same league thats on you.

Face, leader, doesn't matter.  Sean McDermott is leading the franchise, Terry just signs the checks.  Same with regards to Gruden and Davis in Vegas.  This is a waste of time.

What did social media have to do with Gruden's resignation? Seriously, what role did social media play in any of this?

Keyword search for cancel.  

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They are solo artists hired for 10 minutes of entertainment.  I don't know how you do business but I have higher standards and expectations for C-suite executives than I do for the band at the annual company winter solstice celebration party. If you think they're even in the same league thats on you.

Face, leader, doesn't matter.  Sean McDermott is leading the franchise, Terry just signs the checks.  Same with regards to Gruden and Davis in Vegas.  This is a waste of time.

What did social media have to do with Gruden's resignation? Seriously, what role did social media play in any of this?

Keyword search for cancel.  

Winter solstice lol.  Now you’re trolling.

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Winter solstice lol.  Now you’re trolling.

If I'm going to be accused of white knighting for the woke agenda I may as well have some fun with it.

31 minutes ago, GG1 said:

I have a growing suspicion that this gambit may backfire on Goodell and the NFL, as more people are clamoring for the release of the full Snyder report.

Maybe that is his master plan? Just reading that comment by Mark Davis  I have to wonder why is going on behind the scenes.

21 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don’t see things that way. 

Imagine a musical group of white supremacists singing about how superior the white race is to other races. They are very talented singers and ask to do a performance at the Super Bowl halftime show. Would the NFL agree to this? No, it wouldn’t, because their white supremacy is the opposite of the woke agenda the NFL is promoting. The NFL would recognize that it would be endorsing white supremacism by having them do part of the halftime show. Just as it is endorsing hatred and contempt towards women with some of the rappers it’s chosen for recent halftime shows. 

Given that the NFL IS endorsing hatred towards women with some of its recent halftime show choices, it’s difficult for me to see them as a knight in shining armor when they go after Gruden. Especially given the fact that the decision to target Gruden seems to have been made based on petty personal spite. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Imagine a musical group of white supremacists singing about how superior the white race is to other races.

Imagine thinking this is an accurate analogy to a hip-hop halftime act featuring Snoop Dog and Eminem.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Imagine thinking this is an accurate analogy to a hip-hop halftime act featuring Snoop Dog and Eminem.  :classic_laugh:

The point I was making in my earlier post is that if the NFL has a particular perspective expressed in a halftime show, it conveys its approval of, or at least its acceptance of, that perspective. Do you disagree? 

21 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Imagine a musical group of white supremacists singing about how superior the white race is to other races. They are very talented singers and ask to do a performance at the Super Bowl halftime show. Would the NFL agree to this? No, it wouldn’t, because their white supremacy is the opposite of the woke agenda the NFL is promoting. The NFL would recognize that it would be endorsing white supremacism by having them do part of the halftime show. Just as it is endorsing hatred and contempt towards women with some of the rappers it’s chosen for recent halftime shows. 

Given that the NFL IS endorsing hatred towards women with some of its recent halftime show choices, it’s difficult for me to see them as a knight in shining armor when they go after Gruden. Especially given the fact that the decision to target Gruden seems to have been made based on petty personal spite. 

Endorsing hatred of women?  That is quite the exaggeration.  I don't know if you have ever seen a Snoop or Dre music video but they have a certain appreciation for women.  I don't think anyone is lauding the NFL as knights in shining armor for allegedly leaking emails which led to the resignation of a Raiders employee. In fact most people seem to be disparaging the league.

They should just stick to Aerosmith and the Stones who never have controversial lyrics.  Can you imagine the optics of replacing Kendrick, Dre, and Snoop because of insensitive lyrics after 55 years of not caring one bit?  Talk about selective outrage.

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Endorsing hatred of women?  That is quite the exaggeration.  I don't know if you have ever seen a Snoop or Dre music video but they have a certain appreciation for women.  I don't think anyone is lauding the NFL as knights in shining armor for allegedly leaking emails which led to the resignation of a Raiders employee. In fact most people seem to be disparaging the league.

They should just stick to Aerosmith and the Stones who never have controversial lyrics.  Can you imagine the optics of replacing Kendrick, Dre, and Snoop because of insensitive lyrics after 55 years of not caring one bit?  Talk about selective outrage.

And their "certain appreciation of women" is from a hip-hop/gangsta rap context...which is usually disparaging at best, and often rather misogynistic.  And often dismissed as "it's a cultural thing/it's performance art, you don't understand because you're racist."  (At least, that's what I'm told.  Repeatedly.)

Which is, frankly, little different from Gruden's misplaced attempts at humor in his emails.  Or for that matter, me in 2006, accurately criticizing Senator Clinton's horribly racist anti-Dubai Ports World legislation as "keep the sand niggers out of our ports" legislation.  Or, in a much broader sense, how the media abandoned every sense of "metaphor" when discussing Trump's stupidity, but embrace it for Biden's incoherence.

And there's the real hypocrisy: context only matters sometimes.  Usually within an approved socio-political meta-context.

Edited by Crap Throwing Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Head Coaches, they are fair game....................but God forbid you mention "League Executives" !!

Especially head coaches that have made disparaging comments and emails bout King Roger.

• Like 1