Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo vs Kansas City Divisional Game: The Aftermath

Ann

1 hour ago, Beer__League__Hockey said:

The passive calls at the very end of regulation do need fixing.  Ultimately the defense's personality needs to change, but I'm not sure McD can do that.

McD absolutely can, and should do that.  He can tell Frazier that in no certain terms do you line up in a prevent defense that would allow 30 yard chunks, or letting Hill or Kelce free to make a catch and get potentially unlimited YAC.  If this was McD's idea, we have big problems.  Then yes, nothing will change until McD has a philosophy change.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I almost lost my mind when Martindale became available.

34 minutes ago, Beer__League__Hockey said:

He's a coaching tree hopper (worked for both Gruden & McDaniels) so maybe?

I think I would rather have Fangio.  His scheme makes a lot of sense with the guys we currently have.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I think I would rather have Fangio.  His scheme makes a lot of sense with the guys we currently have.

Another fine choice.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Loyalty has always been overvalued in NFL coaching staffs - there's this misplaced idea that disloyalty means you won't be able to find people willing to take jobs.  Wade basically got fired over friggin' Ronnie Jones, to give one egregious example.  Don't get me wrong, I get coaches standing on the hill when the guy they're fighting for deserves it.

I'm super curious about how the locker room reacts to Frazier, either way.  I know he's a well-liked man - but if you're an offensive player and you watched that defense play the way it did so often...can you really not be affected by it?

Organizationally there are definitely places for improvement and I doubt Beane will stand pat another season (ignoring the obvious salary cap factor that will be in play now that 17 is getting paid).  I bet that lesson was learned.

I'm sure Frazier is well liked by the defense, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.  From the perspective of a player who wants to win, eventually you get tired of the weak calls, strategy, and tactics and realize you're wasting your time.  They will probably think that Frazier needs to make a change.  Not sure this equates to wanted him fired, though.  Frazier seems pretty stubborn and dug in.

Beane's salary negotiations have not all been good.  He has overrated and overpaid former Panthers - Star, Addison, Butler, and Norman.  He did seem to make a more team friendly deal with Darryl Williams.  Possible that McD had his hand in the signings of former Panther defensemen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'm sure Frazier is well liked by the defense, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.  From the perspective of a player who wants to win, eventually you get tired of the weak calls, strategy, and tactics and realize you're wasting your time.  They will probably think that Frazier needs to make a change.  Not sure this equates to wanted him fired, though.  Frazier seems pretty stubborn and dug in.

Beane's salary negotiations have not all been good.  He has overrated and overpaid former Panthers - Star, Addison, Butler, and Norman.  He did seem to make a more team friendly deal with Darryl Williams.  Possible that McD had his hand in the signings of former Panther defensemen.

I think Beane was somewhat forced by the franchise's reputation into overpaying just to get people to even consider signing.  We'll see if that trend continues now that the ship has been righted in such an obvious way.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

Billsandhorns
33 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think Beane was somewhat forced by the franchise's reputation into overpaying just to get people to even consider signing.  We'll see if that trend continues now that the ship has been righted in such an obvious way.

I think that and the losing culture that surrounded this team before played a role in overpaying before. I think more guys will be willing to come on lower deals for the improved culture and winning games 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Beer__League__Hockey said:

Which leads me to a good question - what would you like to see out of the defensive side of the football?

For me, I've always loved attacking/borderline gambling defenses such as Glanville's HOU/ATL teams, and more recently the Harbaugh lead Ravens schemes.  Even the Flores Dolphins showed a tendency to pressure more often than not.  They don't always win, but paired with this offense, the gambling would be worth it.  The offense can make up for some of the times when the D gets burned.  But the opposing team has to account for the pressure packages more often, slowing presnap reads - and the wins can be exciting.

The approach this D has taken for 4 years is always to play the odds.  Run blitz obvious running downs, play zone in obvious passing situations, and force teams into executing 10-12 play drives to score.  Generally it is a cerebral approach and it works against average and below offenses, but it is by nature also a passive/weak approach.  And when needed, the defense then IS weak by nature.  They do not have the ability to apply their will at all - a 3rd & 10 is a win if they give up 8 yards.  Good teams figure out how to be patient and convert.

I doubt we can retool this defense in 1 offseason, but maybe an approach change will work out better than we'd expect.  McD has embraced change on offense, maybe the D side can evolve as well.

to run  attack defense, need 2 press cover corners, who aren't cheap

likely the run defense will be even worse

better/different  defense is really only needed against a few teams

need to evaluate in conjunction with overall roster building/ cap allocation plan

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

winner, winner

chicken dinner

Martindale is a dinosur - outdated schemes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

to run  attack defense, need 2 press cover corners, who aren't cheap

likely the run defense will be even worse

better/different  defense is really only needed against a few teams

need to evaluate in conjunction with overall roster building/ cap allocation plan

Frazier has never done a great job utilizing the front four.  He knows how to contain rush, but that is it, and becomes very predictable.  You need to mix it up and Frazier doesn't do that.  Instead, he focuses on the back end, and drags the LBs back to become DBs in addition to the other 5 in a nickel package.  I wish Frazier would have run a traditional 4-3 against teams like Indy and Tenn, no reason to run the nickel there.  Keep the MLB closer to the LOS, dropping him back 20 yards doesn't accomplish anything.  These are some of the reasons why he is very weak against a team that can run the ball.

• Like 1

We can talk about who we'd rather have as defensive coordinator, and it makes for fun banter, but unless someone hires Frazier -- and after Sunday, they won't -- there is no way the team lets him go. You may think I'm overreacting, but the NFL has openly and gladly welcomed the SJWs into their world and there is no way in hell anyone fires a black NFL coach unless they're caught taking peephole video of Erin Andrew. 

And that may not even do it.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

36 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

We can talk about who we'd rather have as defensive coordinator, and it makes for fun banter, but unless someone hires Frazier -- and after Sunday, they won't -- there is no way the team lets him go. You may think I'm overreacting, but the NFL has openly and gladly welcomed the SJWs into their world and there is no way in hell anyone fires a black NFL coach unless they're caught taking peephole video of Erin Andrew. 

semi-voluntary retirement

• Like 1

I posted this on the Rules Change thread and am re-posting here since there is a good discussion of Frazier's tactics at the end of the game and OT.  The guest on the show (Darius something who I think is a former player) tears apart Frazier's scheme.  This will start at the 9:00 mark, with relevant content ending around the 11:00 mark.

Edited by Core Four

Crap Throwing Clavin
34 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

David Culley and Brian Flores were fired, though.

And the SJWs are, of course, livid over this pattern of racism that no doubt dates all the way back to 1619.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

David Culley and Brian Flores were fired, though.

And the SJWs are, of course, livid over this pattern of racism that no doubt dates all the way back to 1619.  

But that's kind of my point. Once Culley and Flores were fired, everyone looked around and realized the only black HC is Tomlin. Every other NFL HC is a white boy. This fact started making the social media rounds shortly after people on social media didn't understand why Tannehill was still a QB with three picks while Kaepernick is out of the game.

6 hours ago, Beer__League__Hockey said:

Which leads me to a good question - what would you like to see out of the defensive side of the football?

For me, I've always loved attacking/borderline gambling defenses such as Glanville's HOU/ATL teams, and more recently the Harbaugh lead Ravens schemes.  Even the Flores Dolphins showed a tendency to pressure more often than not.  They don't always win, but paired with this offense, the gambling would be worth it.  

One of the few times I came out of my chair in excitement during the drought years, I believe, was when Schwartz was defensive coach and we were playing Miami. He blitzed the legend of Kiko and he got a sack on the last play of the game to ice the win. That was fun.

• FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

But that's kind of my point. Once Culley and Flores were fired, everyone looked around and realized the only black HC is Tomlin. Every other NFL HC is a white boy. This fact started making the social media rounds shortly after people on social media didn't understand why Tannehill was still a QB with three picks while Kaepernick is out of the game.

Further proving the people who live life through social media are really stupid.

55 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

One of the few times I came out of my chair in excitement during the drought years, I believe, was when Schwartz was defensive coach and we were playing Miami. He blitzed the legend of Kiko and he got a sack on the last play of the game to ice the win. That was fun.

Man, I wish Schwartz was our DC.  Those were some good defenses.  Imagine if we had that now, I think we would be talking about the AFCCG vs Cincy rather than a long off-season.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

I would add the Hail Murray and Tampa Bay overtime games as well to the less then stellar defensive outcomes.

But on the other side of the coin we were in a position to win those games.

I’d add the Tennessee game when he should have called for a measurement before Josh’s sneak. Things needed to be slowed down there. The last two minutes when the crap is flying all over the place is a weakness. He can fix that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Every time I watch a defense get shredded at the end of games I think back to Mike Shanahan talking to his defensive coordinator in the Super Bowl before the Packers last drive.  Shanahan says "Just do what you do" basically imploring the guy to get the &#%$ after Favre and force him to make plays under pressure. 

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

• Like 1