Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Free Agents - Who Are You Signing?

Ann

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

I don’t see that happening.  Diggs is a wideout not a slot WR.

Diggs is a talented football player

the more than can put on the field, the better

a good OC will figure it out

Just now, Spartacus said:

Diggs is a talented football player

the more than can put on the field, the better

a good OC will figure it out

Yeah, he's a great WR, but I don't think slot is his natural position.  He may not be as good in the slot as wide, that's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
11 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Andre Reed did it 

sounds like you have a very limited vision for what you could accomplish with some creativity

you don't need to limit your slot guy to the short middle of the field

you can run TEs, RBs and the wide outs there as well

You…

You… think the Bills converted Andre Reed to a slot receiver?

That’s your case?

16 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Andre Reed did it 

sounds like you have a very limited vision for what you could accomplish with some creativity

you don't need to limit your slot guy to the short middle of the field

you can run TEs, RBs and the wide outs there as well

Andre Reed was NEVER a slot WR.  Beebe typically handled those duties, IIRC.  A slot WR and wide WR are two different positions requiring two different skillsets.  Just because Diggs is among the best WRs in the league doesn't mean he is interchangeable between wideout and slot; two different positions, two different skillsets.

6 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Andre Reed was NEVER a slot WR.  Beebe typically handled those duties, IIRC.  A slot WR and wide WR are two different positions requiring two different skillsets.  Just because Diggs is among the best WRs in the league doesn't mean he is interchangeable between wideout and slot; two different positions, two different skillsets.

you keep reading from your "offense for dinosaurs" playbook.

The Bills already expect their WRs to know all the routes for all positions.

It would help to make the offense even less predictable by moving 3 top flight WRs around on the field, 

with no limitation created by pre-ordained labels 

• Facepalm 1

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-perfect-free-agent-matches-all-32-nfl-teams-why-fit-one-player-team-sign-allen-robinson-browns#BUF

BUFFALO BILLS: DL TIM SETTLE

Working alongside Jonathan AllenDaron Payne and Matt Ioannidis, Settle has never played more than 364 defensive snaps in a season. However, he has shown enough in that limited role to be an intriguing offseason acquisition who could take on more snaps, earning PFF pass rushing grades above 70.0 in each of the past two years.

Buffalo could be in need of some additions to its interior defensive line, depending on what happens with Harrison Phillips in free agency. At worst, Settle would be a relatively cheap depth piece with some upside.

23 minutes ago, Ann said:

Maybe for a year or two, but $15M is steep.  Right now we possibly have four DEs - Groot, Basham, AJE, and the possible signing of Shaq Lawson.  They claimed Lawson off waivers in January, just need to sign him.  This is also assuming Obada, Addison, and Hughes are all gone.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
5 hours ago, Spartacus said:

you keep reading from your "offense for dinosaurs" playbook.

The Bills already expect their WRs to know all the routes for all positions.

It would help to make the offense even less predictable by moving 3 top flight WRs around on the field, 

with no limitation created by pre-ordained labels 

Dude, interchangeable personel groupings running the same plays has been a thing since Bill Walsh. In some instances, since Vince Lombardi and the Packer Sweep.

Andre Reed was never a slot receiver. He lined up typically as a flanker.

A flanker lines up outside the tight end, and is not on the line, leaving the TE uncovered in the formation.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the role of the slot receiver, whose job it is to find soft spots underneath and sit down as either a safety valve, or to pick up medium yardage on 3rd and 4th to convert.

The don’t generally run downfield routes, or pick up chunk yardage.

Asking Diggs to do this would be to sacrifice his ultra-rare ability to make plays down the field. It would be dumb.

• Applause 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/11/chandler-jones-i-want-to-go-to-a-place-that-maximizes-my-talents/

“To be completely honest, it’s not about money at all,” Jones said, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ website. “Where I am in my career, I’ve gotten contracts, I’ve gotten the Super Bowl, but I think scheme is huge. Or for me, winning more championships. I’ll say it again, it’s not about money. I will say I want to go to a place that maximizes my talents. There have been times in my career where I’d say I caught myself out of position. I do take the blame, but at the same time it’s like, ‘Hey, should I have been doing that?’ I have enough comfort where I am in my career and this age to say that.”

• Like 1

Billsandhorns
1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/11/chandler-jones-i-want-to-go-to-a-place-that-maximizes-my-talents/

“To be completely honest, it’s not about money at all,” Jones said, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ website. “Where I am in my career, I’ve gotten contracts, I’ve gotten the Super Bowl, but I think scheme is huge. Or for me, winning more championships. I’ll say it again, it’s not about money. I will say I want to go to a place that maximizes my talents. There have been times in my career where I’d say I caught myself out of position. I do take the blame, but at the same time it’s like, ‘Hey, should I have been doing that?’ I have enough comfort where I am in my career and this age to say that.”

J.J. said it wasn't about the money last year, before he signed in AZ 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, Spartacus said:

If it's about maximizing his talents, I'm not sure Buffalo is the place for him. Here, it is mostly about contain for any DL member. Pressures are nice but straight up, all out rushing the passer is not what McDermott and Frazier are all about.

• Wow 1

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

If it's about maximizing his talents, I'm not sure Buffalo is the place for him. Here, it is mostly about contain for any DL member. Pressures are nice but straight up, all out rushing the passer is not what McDermott and Frazier are all about.

I believe that was one of the issues that Shaq Lawson had three years ago when he signed with Miami.  That and he wanted more playing time, meaning he wasn't a fan of the rotation.  Miami offers him more money and playing time in a more aggressive dline scheme, which made it an easy decision.

13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

will the inability to slow down the Chiefs change McD's perspective?

they hired a lot of new D coaches for a reason

12 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I believe that was one of the issues that Shaq Lawson had three years ago when he signed with Miami.  That and he wanted more playing time, meaning he wasn't a fan of the rotation.  Miami offers him more money and playing time in a more aggressive dline scheme, which made it an easy decision.

I dunno. I think Shaq was chasing the dollar more than anything. That he probably understands that his time here enhanced his marketability and may do so again. Hate to say it but that is just how it strikes me.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I dunno. I think Shaq was chasing the dollar more than anything. That he probably understands that his time here enhanced his marketability and may do so again. Hate to say it but that is just how it strikes me.

Given his lack of success elsewhere...I can't disagree with you.  Shaq is a good run defender but he's a below average pass rusher - he has almost no explosion and needs both schematic and personnel help to beat tackle blocking.  I liked him better rushing the passer inside on obvious passing downs because his speed wasn't as detrimental.

• Like 1