• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Foxx

• Ann

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• Fansince88

The, "House select committee" "investigating" the events of January 6th at the Capital, is set to reveal their finding(s) tonight in a public primetime hearing which is set to kick off the whole public spectacle to come in the days ahead. Tonight though, expect them to set the outline of which, will attempt to lay the framework for placing Trump at the center of it all and to try and garner enough support for yet another attempt at denying him the ability to run for public office again.

Hopefully at some point, we, the American populace, will come up with guidelines to deny most of these swamp creatures from holding office and limit their ability to serve.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

The, "House select committee" "investigating" the events of January 6th at the Capital, is set to reveal their finding(s) tonight in a public primetime hearing which is set to kick off the whole public spectacle to come in the days ahead. Tonight though, expect them to set the outline of which, will attempt to lay the framework for placing Trump at the center of it all and to try and garner enough support for yet another attempt at denying him the ability to run for public office again.

Hopefully at some point, we, the American populace, will come up with guidelines to deny most of these swamp creatures from holding office and limit their ability to serve.

You'd think they'd do this in August/September, closer to the mid-term elections.

But I guess they don't want to interfere with their late-summer vacations.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

You'd think they'd do this in August/September, closer to the mid-term elections.

But I guess they don't want to interfere with their late-summer vacations.

Right. They essentially have the entire month of August off, don't they?

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Right. They essentially have the entire month of August off, don't they?

The House is apparently in recess from July 29 to Sept 13. They also are in recess all of October.

The House gets about 25 weeks off through the year.  Which makes sense, given that Congressmen are supposed to represent the people, so they should spend considerable time in their districts with the people they represent.

Of course, many if not most of them won't hobnob with the unwashed masses (try to imagine Pelosi walking the streets of San Francisco talking to the homeless).  But their unwillingness to do their job properly doesn't make it wrong to give them the time to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

The House is apparently in recess from July 29 to Sept 13. They also are in recess all of October.

The House gets about 25 weeks off through the year.  Which makes sense, given that Congressmen are supposed to represent the people, so they should spend considerable time in their districts with the people they represent.

Of course, many if not most of them won't hobnob with the unwashed masses (try to imagine Pelosi walking the streets of San Francisco talking to the homeless).  But their unwillingness to do their job properly doesn't make it wrong to give them the time to do so. 

I guess I would somewhat disagree.

Mingling with the constituents should be a prerequisite for holding the job. At the very least, 16 of those 25 weeks. This would allow for travel and vacation time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I guess I would somewhat disagree.

Mingling with the constituents should be a prerequisite for holding the job. At the very least, 16 of those 25 weeks. This would allow for travel and vacation time.

Change "prerequisite" to "job responsibility" and I agree.

The real problem is that these people never get fired by their bosses (us) for not fulfilling their job responsibilities.  Which is why we have a "Swamp."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Billsandhorns
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Over half of them haven't reported in person to work in over two years. They have even ceded their votes to a proxy

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
19 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Over half of them haven't reported in person to work in over two years. They have even ceded their votes to a proxy

Unfortunately, showing up for work isn't a job requirement.  It's a responsibility...but the only job requirements for Congress are specified in the Constitution, and they're very broad.

And I, for one, do not want to amend the Constitution with attendance requirements for Congress...as that should, simply, be up to the voters to enforce.  Again, it's us not doing our jobs that enables these @$$h@l&s to not do theirs. 

For all the Democrats' talk of this being a "democracy," it's not, because we've basically voted for an oligarchy.

• Applause 2
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

For all the Democrats' talk of this being a "democracy," it's not, because we basically continue to vote for an oligarchy.

FIFY

We have become fat and lazy in more ways than just physically.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Foxx said:

FIFY

We have become fat and lazy in more ways than just physically.

Point of evidence #1: American Idol is in its 20th season.

I can't prove it, but I'm dead-nuts positive that's a contributor to American laziness.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Point of evidence #1: American Idol is in its 20th season.

I can't prove it, but I'm dead-nuts positive that's a contributor to American laziness.

You think that's bad...

Big Brother (no not that one) is in it's 24th season...

how long before the resurrected Survivor is rebranded as "Running Man"??

28 minutes ago, Foxx said:

how long before the resurrected Survivor is rebranded as "Running Man"??

They might get me to watch it then...

• Cheers 1

Fansince88
5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Am I wrong to think that originally they stayed home untill "needed"? 

Fansince88
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Unfortunately, showing up for work isn't a job requirement.  It's a responsibility...but the only job requirements for Congress are specified in the Constitution, and they're very broad.

And I, for one, do not want to amend the Constitution with attendance requirements for Congress...as that should, simply, be up to the voters to enforce.  Again, it's us not doing our jobs that enables these @$$h@l&s to not do theirs. 

For all the Democrats' talk of this being a "democracy," it's not, because we've basically voted for an oligarchy.

image.png.b1274ea6b090160d1dd8b4d6f72491c9.png

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Am I wrong to think that originally they stayed home untill "needed"? 

Probably, you're wrong.

I looked up the original Congressional session information.

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Session-Dates/1-9/

Interestingly, the first session of the first Congress, at 168 legislative days, is about as long as modern sessions (the first session of the current Congress was 166 days.)  They seem to vary widely, from 25 to 235 days.  But around 125-150 seems typical (note that I just spot-checked, I didn't check every session on that site).  

I would have expected that earlier Congresses had shorter sessions, just because of travel time to and from DC (before railroads, maybe 20 miles a day.  By the mid-1870s, maybe 500 miles/day via express railroad.)  But given the length of some of those early sessions, it may very well be that they spent less time in their districts than nowadays, just because they spent more time traveling to and from DC.  

Or maybe not...it's not like I'm doing a rigorous analysis here.  I wonder if anyone ever has.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Probably, you're wrong.

I looked up the original Congressional session information.

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Session-Dates/1-9/

Interestingly, the first session of the first Congress, at 168 legislative days, is about as long as modern sessions (the first session of the current Congress was 166 days.)  They seem to vary widely, from 25 to 235 days.  But around 125-150 seems typical (note that I just spot-checked, I didn't check every session on that site).  

I would have expected that earlier Congresses had shorter sessions, just because of travel time to and from DC (before railroads, maybe 20 miles a day.  By the mid-1870s, maybe 500 miles/day via express railroad.)  But given the length of some of those early sessions, it may very well be that they spent less time in their districts than nowadays, just because they spent more time traveling to and from DC.  

Or maybe not...it's not like I'm doing a rigorous analysis here.  I wonder if anyone ever has.

Im not sure and is why I questioned it. I do remember something about the 10 years they met in Philadelphia PA they only convened when it was necessary to address laws. That said, history has changed alot since I graduated high school and entered the workforce. Well, history is still the same but the story has changed.