Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 6, Pick #180: P - Matt Araiza - San Diego State [released]

Bills Fans

The one bit of this blowback on the Bills that I find rather amusing is that apparently people are expecting NFL teams to spend as much time vetting potential 6th round picks as much as they do 1st or 2nd rounders.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:34 PM, Fansince88 said:

Speaking of that. Diego Fagot was released from the Ravens.

Also released by the Ravens, Cameron Dicker aka "Dicker the Kicker"

Edited by devnull
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

Alaska Darin
34 minutes ago, Koko said:

The one bit of this blowback on the Bills that I find rather amusing is that apparently people are expecting NFL teams to spend as much time vetting potential 6th round picks as much as they do 1st or 2nd rounders.

The NY Post has reported that a couple of NFL teams knew about this stuff and didn't share (not sure I believe it..but it's been reported).

I fully expect the NFL to (at least internally) address this because no one liked the publicity that came with this situation.  People think the BILLS aren't an important NFL franchise but the Pegulas are pretty &#%$ing wealthy and have a lot of stroke.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The NY Post has reported that a couple of NFL teams knew about this stuff and didn't share (not sure I believe it..but it's been reported).

I fully expect the NFL to (at least internally) address this because no one liked the publicity that came with this situation.  People think the BILLS aren't an important NFL franchise but the Pegulas are pretty &#%$ing wealthy and have a lot of stroke.

I think the league should be the ones doing a standardized vetting process. They do it with medical and other issues, and they have the authority to not invite to combine, and to presumably declare a prospect off limits if there is something. 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think the league should be the ones doing a standardized vetting process. They do it with medical and other issues, and they have the authority to not invite to combine, and to presumably declare a prospect off limits if there is something. 

That's an interesting conversation.  Once again, I think it's very dangerous to allow this type of swatting to essentially stop people's employment dead in their tracks.

I'm not sure what the answer truly is or how this kind of collusion would be looked at from a legal perspective.

• Like 2

This article from Fox News has a quote from the lawyer I had not seen previously.

Perhaps someone can put it through the Bidenator to translate the second half of his statement.

The alleged victim’s attorney, Dan Gilleon, ripped the team following the punter's release, saying "The Buffalo Bills had no choice but to cut their young punter after so badly botching their response to our claim: they ignored us, as though what I warned them would happen could be avoided if they just kept their heads in the sand."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's an interesting conversation.  Once again, I think it's very dangerous to allow this type of swatting to essentially stop people's employment dead in their tracks.

I'm not sure what the answer truly is or how this kind of collusion would be looked at from a legal perspective.

The NFL is a cartel.  IMO each member of the cartel should share intel with other members that may be detrimental to their empire

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This article from Fox News has a quote from the lawyer I had not seen previously.

Perhaps someone can put it through the Bidenator to translate the second half of his statement.

Sure:  Had the Bills wanted Araiza badly enough to pay hush money to the lawyer and his client, the civil suit would never have seen the light of day.  Considering the Bills had nothing to do with the events of that night, they told him to pound sand.  You know the rest of the story to date.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, devnull said:

The NFL is a cartel.  IMO each member of the cartel should share intel with other members that may be detrimental to their empire

Only problem is they don't have a full antitrust exemption so preventing an adult from obtaining gainful employment due to nothing more than an unsubstantiated accusation would get them sued probably quite successfully and w/ treble damages.  (And that was simply in general, not specifically in relation to the Bills' former punters situation.)

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I believe it.  Once I knew to look, it was easy to find the reports of the rape and mentions of Araiza's possible involvement dating before the draft. 

Admittedly, I didn't know to look until after Garden Slug, Esquire filed the civil suit.  But were I directly involved in any sort of scouting, I'd like to think I'd take the half-hour to search the local press and campus press and find out that there was a rape involving players from a football program we might be considering as a source of draftees.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sure:  Had the Bills wanted Araiza badly enough to pay hush money to the lawyer and his client, the civil suit would never have seen the light of day.  Considering the Bills had nothing to do with the events of that night, they told him to pound sand.  You know the rest of the story to date.

Exactly.  He's basically complaining the Bills wouldn't let him shake them down.

• Wow 1

13 hours ago, Ann said:

Her attorney...

Man, read the responses to his post and you realize we finally found something that all of Bills Mafia agrees with: this dude is a completely shitbag. The number of replies calling him out is incredible.

If everyone one of these people just donated $10 in his client's name to CTM's suggested charity, the client would drop him like shit and find a lawyer who doesn't act like an Alred/Avenatti love child.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Koko said:

Agreed.  There are hundreds of guys a team could potentially draft based on how the draft happens, who slides, who else you take, etc.  No way to effectively vet all of them.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He thought he was getting his hooks into the NFL but failed to understand that rookie punters are an easily replaceable commodity.  This story will slip away quickly no matter how many times he twitters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Man, read the responses to his post and you realize we finally found something that all of Bills Mafia agrees with: this dude is a completely shitbag. The number of replies calling him out is incredible.

If everyone one of these people just donated $10 in his client's name to CTM's suggested charity, the client would drop him like shit and find a lawyer who doesn't act like an Alred/Avenatti love child.

sort of hope some mysterious anonomous money finds its way to a competent atty who can provide some quality pro bono defense work to Matt.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

He thought he was getting his hooks into the NFL but failed to understand that rookie punters are an easily replaceable commodity.  This story will slip away quickly no matter how many times he twitters.

Honestly, the Plaintiff's idiot attorney should have waited until at least mid-October to file. Araiza would have been guaranteed to have some money, and the Bills would have been far harder pressed to get rid of him mid-season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koko said:

Honestly, the Plaintiff's idiot attorney should have waited until at least mid-October to file. Araiza would have been guaranteed to have some money, and the Bills would have been far harder pressed to get rid of him mid-season.

Lesson learned for his next go around.  He won't make THAT mistake again.

But wait, he said he filed now to keep from losing evidence through the course of time.  He COULDN'T wait any longer.  The events took place just last October.  There was clearly no more time to wait.  :classic_wacko:

Crap Throwing Clavin

There's Deadspin hot takes.  Then there's Carron J. Phillips Deadspin "The Bills drafted Araiza because racism" scorching hot takes.

• Facepalm 1
  • Doh! 2

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

There's Deadspin hot takes.  Then there's Carron J. Phillips Deadspin "The Bills drafted Araiza because racism" scorching hot takes.

You know a story is on its last legs when it's another Deadspin racism article.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

7 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

You know a story is on its last legs when it's another Deadspin racism article.

Then again, I actually clicked the link and was treated to an advert at the end showing Sharon Stone with the come-hither headline, “20 of the Horniest Erotic Thrillers Ever Made,” so I guess in some small measure some people are still trying to find some prurient pleasure out of this fiasco. 

7 hours ago, Nanker said:

Then again, I actually clicked the link and was treated to an advert at the end showing Sharon Stone with the come-hither headline, “20 of the Horniest Erotic Thrillers Ever Made,” so I guess in some small measure some people are still trying to find some prurient pleasure out of this fiasco. 

Not to take this off track again, but take a look at all the little side articles and advertisements popping up on your browser. Everything is either sexualized or you see someone pouring mustard into their gas tank with "Do this ONE TRICK to get more mileage!"

But most of it is tits and ass; perfectly cropped photos of "Unfortunate Wedding Photos They Don't Want You To See!" 

We're such a pathetic race because with this in your face all day, there are still the unwashed masses confused as to why a 21-year-old college athlete would get a blowjob from a 17-year-old at a college party.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3